Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Pre-collision braking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pre-collision braking.

I was considering buying a 2018 F-150 with some of the newer safety features. I am particularly interested in the electronically controlled pre collision braking. According to what I read on the 150 there is a warning light, an audible warning, and lastly, "brake loading". It apparently does not do any braking on its own like many other vehicles.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this feature? How well does it work? I am becoming more safety conscious and have had several near misses in the past few years, almost all of which were nothing I could control, like a deer in the road last month. Also people seem to love pulling out right in front of me.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:31 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Works pretty good.
You are correct in that it does not brake. I am glad it doesn't.
Mine has alerted... and correctly in my opinion, but braking was not necessary.
A machine does not think or anticipate Humans. It reacts to a set of programed parameters. It can be a big difference.

Example, When overtaking a vehicle to pass, it sees you coming up on a slower vehicle at a higher rate of speed. It does not know you are going to lanes. If you get to close it will go off.

The heads up lights are great... all of my audible sounds are to low in my opinion, have not found a way to adjust them louder.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The most effective way for an ABS equipped vehicle to stop a quickly as possible in a panic situation is to apply full braking power and let the ABS system sort out keeping the tires from locking up.
As such the system magnifies the input modulation of the pedal to apply as much brake pressure to the system sooner than what a normal braking event would be.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Sawdust102
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that the new 2018 WILL stop your truck if you do not. But I believe you need to have the adaptive cruise with stop and go.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Sawdust102
New User
Old 10-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Sawdust102
New User
Old 10-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
The adaptive cruise control will brake, correct.

Based on the Audi A6 Performance i rented in Germany, I did not like that feature because there were times I'm approaching the slower car on the right lane, waiting for the faster car on the left lane to pass before getting on the left lane. A lot of times, it brakes prematurely right when I'm getting to the left lane then the engine has to accelerate to maintain the 100 mph speed.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:57 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Adaptive cruise has the same limitations. It can and will brake in situations where a Human driver won't or doesn't need to.

Fine for Highway driving with light traffic.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
Adaptive cruise has the same limitations. It can and will brake in situations where a Human driver won't or doesn't need to.

Fine for Highway driving with light traffic.

Yes, but it does reduce the workload while trying to figure out how to get around the slow poke. Just it does come with a price.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:04 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggums

Based on the Audi A6 Performance i rented in Germany, I did not like that feature because there were times I'm approaching the slower car on the right lane, waiting for the faster car on the left lane to pass before getting on the left lane. A lot of times, it brakes prematurely right when I'm getting to the left lane then the engine has to accelerate to maintain the 100 mph speed.

This is correct. If your truck has Adaptive Cruise Control and it is set, the pre-collision will stop your truck.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wiggums

While I have had that happen, I also have had the system not engage or begin slowing down when I wanted to. I tend to look ahead a ways to figure out what is going to happen rather than just run up on it blindly. When a sea of red is greeting me, I begin to slow down. The ADC does not. Yes, I probably have it set way too sensitive with the follow distance maxed out but otherwise the snerts that cut in front of me would be giving me a rough ride all the time rather than just when I was playing off road.

Originally Posted by shortride
This is correct. If your truck has Adaptive Cruise Control and it is set, the pre-collision will stop your truck.

That is correct, it WILL stop the vehicle but it will not hold it. Discovered that this afternoon during a minor test following what turned out to be a blond. Her driving suggested that before I got the confirmation.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Slowtrucker
I probably have it set way too sensitive with the follow distance maxed out but otherwise the snerts that cut in front of me would be giving me a rough ride all the time rather than just when I was playing off road.
I have found that setting it at Max following distance is a little to sensitive.
Believe it or not, setting it about mid range actually makes it work quite a bit smoother.

Give it a try.

When I see traffic ahead, I get ready to hit the cancel/resume button.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
I have found that setting it at Max following distance is a little to sensitive.
Believe it or not, setting it about mid range actually makes it work quite a bit smoother.

Give it a try.

When I see traffic ahead, I get ready to hit the cancel/resume button.

Thanks! I will give that a try.