1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with my Traction Control/ABS System

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:59 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Help me with my Traction Control/ABS System

Hi everybody. I could have started this thread in the 6.7 section, that my truck falls into, but felt it had more exposure here since Super Dutys have ABS systems. My 2012 is having some sort of ABS system function issue.....again. I would like if someone can clarify the way the system works, or should work. We have safety backup systems on backup systems. I have what many of you may have with a King Ranch or other setup. A system called Advance Trac. This is Traction Control System (TSC), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Roll Stability Control (RSC). I hope I am not missing anything. I won't go into all the details of each system. Too consuming lol. I believe these all have a purpose. I'm happy with it, until something doesn't work and not sure what it is or what to do about it. I installed a fairly large lift on my truck from almost day one. A lot of R&D went into my project and at the end it all worked very well. I'm very happy with it and so is the truck! About a couple years later I started to experience what I would call ABS system alerts. Brake pedal starting to pulse/cycle with ABS icon showing on dash with Traction Control icon also lighting up especially when I would turn or veer to the left!? Felt odd, but nevertheless everything else was fine. Put it toward big truck syndrome lol. Took it to my Ford dealer, that treated me very well by the way, and the mechanics opinion was that he's experienced a some Super Dutys that had this issue...only turning or veering to the left. He tried to follow up with his colleagues but didn't get any results or backing. Wow, I'm not the only one and it's not big truck syndrome lol. We also felt that 'maybe' the yaw system of the truck (not sure what system that falls under) could be the cause, because of the lift. Maybe shocks worn out creating more of a lean to set off systems alert. Anyways, I rebuilt things with even better shocks, tweaked the suspension a bit, but it kept doing the same thing up until early 2016 when the 'Service Traction Control' icon stayed lit along with my ABS light. Took back to dealer and the result after testing was that the ABS HCU pump motor has failed. Fine. Even though we felt there was more going on, I made the call to replace the pump motor. It wasn't cheap but it let me go on my merry way....for awhile. Later in the year, in the fall of 2016 the brake pedal started to pulse/cycle with the Traction Control/ABS icons doing the same thing. Still mostly to the left. I let it do its thing till finally around this last December it was doing it more often. Eventually in the beginning of January the 'Service the Traction Control System' was activating regularly in the dash, at times with the ABS light but not so much. I've decided to take back to the dealer next week for a system diagnostics before all fails again. I just want to fix the problem. Don't know if anyone has any experience with this. I would like to hear your opinions and questions before I go back to the dealer. I feel there is something else going on. I don't want to chase it forever. I'm a diehard Ford guy. I don't cheap out on my truck! I just want it safe and roadworthy. Sorry, it is long winded. I hope it makes sense to all. Thx in advance Jim.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:47 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I have a 2011 F350 that occasionally the traction control system will go nuts on me. I've had it go off on me a few times just driving slowly in a straight line through a parking lot - brakes pedal starts vibrating, throttle curs out. I've never had any warning lights (system errors) though.

I hate the system in the snow because it almost becomes a hazard - i try to punch it a bit to get thru a dniw bank windrow at the end of a street, and it cuts out the power trying to "save" me.

I pretty much just always shut the system off each time I start it.

Have you tried that - just turning it off?

Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Not really. I dont like to disengage the system but I will experiment with that tomorrow. Thx.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:05 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
I guess its rare for the Traction Controls to go on the fritz...going by your guys responses lol

Old 01-17-2017, 05:47 PM
dtherrien
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2016 will engage the traction/stability control when driving on hilly back roads with a lot of sharp curves. It will briefly active.
If i turn the traction control off...it doesnt do it.
But i would say something is wrong with yours if it doing it on strait roads.
Personaly i would rather not have this feature. The hill assist doesnt do much for me either.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:26 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Did a little experimenting today. Deactivated the Traction Control. I'm getting pedal pulse feel at times while driving or slowing down with no notice or icons in dash and other times I'm accelerating away from a stop light or just driving down the road and the Traction Control icon lights up briefly with it's chiming sound. Disconnecting obviously didn't do anything. Looking forward to the diagnostics on thursday lol.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:49 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Sometimes it's simply that a part went bad and needs to be replaced. Hopefully it'll be that simple for you when they look at it.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:39 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Well, hopefully it's not the same part I replaced last year lol.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmystoys
Did a little experimenting today. Deactivated the Traction Control. I'm getting pedal pulse feel at times while driving or slowing down with no notice or icons in dash and other times I'm accelerating away from a stop light or just driving down the road and the Traction Control icon lights up briefly with it's chiming sound. Disconnecting obviously didn't do anything. Looking forward to the diagnostics on thursday lol.
Shutting off AT doesn't disable TC. There is a two button process that will disable the TC separately from AT. I stumbled upon it last week in the snow. If someone doesn't pipe in I'll get the process for you after work.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
Shutting off AT doesn't disable TC. There is a two button process that will disable the TC separately from AT. I stumbled upon it last week in the snow. If someone doesn't pipe in I'll get the process for you after work.
Just hold down the traction control button for ten seconds to disable both systems.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Yes, I'm familiar with the 10 second rule....but still didn't help. The ABS sytem was still activating. Anyways...I was at the dealer today. Boy am I humbled! One should never think on too large scale when somethings wrong! Although my mechanic was a bit busy today he couldn't complete his diagnostics/repair. What he did do was a continuity test on the front ABS lines and pinpointed a bad connection. A damaged wire in connector! Geez! I could have done that lol! So, I'm going back next week for completion of the repair. I can easily do that but going to have a 'package' oil change done at same time. Stay tuned. Hopefully my problems will be all over next week!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 PM
reptar0077
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
This probably has absolutely nothing to do with it but its worth a though.

My Tacoma ABS light came on and the brake pedal went nuts when slowing down from 70 off the freeway. Got home and found out my wheel bearing was shot.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:51 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Wow. That's.....interesting....lol

Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 PM
reptar0077
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow. That's.....interesting....lol
Tell me about it, in my shear moment of @#$%^&^%$#$%^& as the offramp was short & down hill.. Punched the pedal as hard as I could, wheel straightened out & I stopped, talk about crapping your pants. I crawled home needless to say.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:31 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Yes, I'm familiar with the 10 second rule....but still didn't help. The ABS sytem was still activating. Anyways...I was at the dealer today. Boy am I humbled! One should never think on too large scale when somethings wrong! Although my mechanic was a bit busy today he couldn't complete his diagnostics/repair. What he did do was a continuity test on the front ABS lines and pinpointed a bad connection. A damaged wire in connector! Geez! I could have done that lol! So, I'm going back next week for completion of the repair. I can easily do that but going to have a 'package' oil change done at same time. Stay tuned. Hopefully my problems will be all over next week!
no - it won't shut off the abs; just the advancetrac and traction control.

Good that it sounds like you found the issue though. It's always the littlest stuff that causes the most aggravation.

Quick Reply: Help me with my Traction Control/ABS System