Even starting a Model T looks tricky

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:24 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even starting a Model T looks tricky

As the post on the HP points out, almost none of the controls do what you think they would -- like you push the clutch in to move -- and even starting it looks pretty tricky, and not unusual for the time.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Like anything else with a little practice it becomes second nature. My Model T friends frequently start their Ts (and TTs) while standing outside the vehicle just by moving a couple levers, pulling the hand brake, and mashing the starter button. Then as often as not they move the vehicle around the shop by reaching in and pushing on the low or reverse pedals.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 AM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
As the post on the HP points out, almost none of the controls do what you think they would -- like you push the clutch in to move -- and even starting it looks pretty tricky, and not unusual for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiC9zxYy0U

This is a really nice pickup truck; really rare I would think!
The learning curve is definitely steep. Then there is the electrical system to figure out: Model T Ford Forum: Does magneto charge battery in the absence of a generator?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow. Great video. Really enjoyed it. I've fallen in love with the TT's. Maybe one day i'll be lucky and get one.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have had 6 T's, 5 were starter equipped which meant that they had battery power also. On those you could turn the ignition key to "Batt" and hand crank if needed. If tuned up well they would start fairly well when cold.

My current T is Mag only, no starter but has the switch to go to battery for starting if needed. If tuned well and warm they will start on the mag pretty well but if not turning the switch to battery helps. A guy can work up a sweat though trying to get them started some times.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Steve1920
Mountain Pass
I second what Mark said. They generally start well hot and even with just a little heat left in the motor they fire right up. Starting them cold is often a little bit of a workout.

God bless all those folks back in the day that used them year-round!

Granted, they are tricky to start and tricky to drive, but once you get the hang of it there's nothin' to it- as they say.

Think of all the people who learned to start and drive them that only had the reins to horse harness in their hands prior to the T coming along! If they could do it, anybody can do it!

Steve

Old 05-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Hand cranking was a little dangerous, had to remember to retard ignition timing lever beforehand. It would be handy to be able to adjust timing on the fly, actually.

If a hand cranked engine backfired, it could mess you up. In fact a good friend of the head of GM was killed when he helped a young lady whose car had broke down. The handle broke his jaw when the engine backfired, and he a died a couple weeks later from infection. So GM tasked Charles Kettering to devise an electric starter for cars.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Hand cranking was a little dangerous, had to remember to retard ignition timing lever beforehand. It would be handy to be able to adjust timing on the fly, actually.

If a hand cranked engine backfired, it could mess you up. In fact a good friend of the head of GM was killed when he helped a young lady whose car had broke down. The handle broke his jaw when the engine backfired, and he a died a couple weeks later from infection. So GM tasked Charles Kettering to devise an electric starter for cars.
I didn't know that! My dad actually had a Peugeot with a hand crank back in the '60s. He said he got some funny looks when he had to use it to start the car while he waited a couple weeks to get a replacement starter.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Steve1920
Mountain Pass
Yes, retarding the timing (with the engine timed correctly to begin with!) is imperative when hand cranking.

That must have been a fairly high auto that got the guy in the jaw. Farmall tractors are up there too, compared to having to bend over for the Model T crank. You always want to cup the crank, not wrapping your thumb around it, and pull it towards you. With a T, "cup" the crank at the 9:00 position and pull it up/towards you going towards the 12:00 position. That way if it back fires, you let go as the crank is pulled out of your hand. If your not quick enough getting out of the way it'll whack the back of your hand/forearm coming around, but that's better than a broken thumb or wrist! Again, with proper timing and putting the spark advance up, you won't have a problem with a T.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
What about below zero? Ten below? Farmers probably had to build a fire under the block, practically.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:04 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to my History of GM book, GM bought Cadillac to get the patents on the electric starter.

On the TT, nice video, thanks. I know a guy who has one, not quite as nice as that, setting in a shed since his dad died 10-15 years ago.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
According to my History of GM book, GM bought Cadillac to get the patents on the electric starter.
That would have been smart, better than a broken jaw for sure. Here's Wiki:

"Byron Carter, founder of Cartercar, came across a stalled motorist on Belle Isle in the middle of the Detroit River. He gallantly offered to crank the car for the stranded driver. When she forgot to retard the spark, the crank kicked and broke Carter's jaw. Complications developed, and Carter later died of pneumonia. When Cadillac chief, Henry M. Leland, heard the news, he was distraught. Byron Carter was a friend; the car that kicked back was a Cadillac. "The Cadillac car will kill no more men if we can help it," he told his staff.

Leland's engineers were able to build an electric self-starter, but the device was not small enough to be practical. He called Charles Kettering. The engineers at Delco worked around the clock to get the job done by the February 1911 deadline. Kettering later described their work thus: They didn't have a job so much as the job had them."

Old 05-27-2017, 03:12 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What about below zero? Ten below? Farmers probably had to build a fire under the block, practically.

Pan of coals from the stove, did it myself when I lived in Alaska and didn't have electricity.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:25 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Another typical farmer job in the winter was draining the radiator every night in the T. Anti-freeze was expensive and well water was free. A large kettle was put on the stove and the boiling water was used to fill the T radiator before cold weather starting.

Modern cars have come a long way, but sure are boring.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Glycol coolant (anti-freeze) didn't yet exist, they used a methanol/water mix? Or maybe Kerosene aka "coal oil".