Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pushed down too far to start?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Fat Donkey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pushed down too far to start?

Hey guys, Newbie here with a newbie-caliber question/comment...

First off- 93 F150 extracab 4x4, 300ci, 5 speed, dual tanks, 130,000mi

The last 2 days I've been having a hell of a problem starting the truck. Plenty of battery power, when I rotate the ignition to Start, nothing happens except for 1 clicking noise. After trying over and over it finally engages the starter and starts right up, which is a good thing but does not inspire any confidence...

Anyways, today I was talking to a friend about it and compared the problem to the likes of trying to start a car with a manual transmission and not engaging the clutch. Long story short, I went out to the truck today and messed with a few things. Pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and same issue. Next try I pushed the clutch to where it was 2-3 inches shy of the floor and the truck started right up. Of course I thought this was a fluke so I tried to start it with the clutch fully engaged to the floor, nothing. Let up on the clutch a bit and whabam, started right up.

All I will ever own are manual vehicles and I have been through 6 manual vehicles thus far and have never owned a car that didn't start with the clutch fully depressed. Has anybody ever had the same issue? Is this normal or should I be worried?

Thanks!
Ryan

Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this sounds like more of a starter problem than a clutch problem i would call it dumb luck thats it started both those times. my advise would be to check all the wires going to the starter and battery and replace starter.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Fat Donkey
New User
It may be dumb luck but if that's the case I should pick some Powerball numbers. It started right up 6 times in a row with the clutch 2-3 inches from the floor. When pushed to the floor, nothing (4-5 tries). Weird...

Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 17fordguy
this sounds like more of a starter problem than a clutch problem i would call it dumb luck thats it started both those times. my advise would be to check all the wires going to the starter and battery and replace starter.
Why would it be a starter problem when it seems obvious the problem is the neutral safety switch on the clutch rod? It probably just needs to be adjusted.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Fat Donkey
New User
Ding Ding, I believe we have a weiner! er... I mean, winner. I'll look it up in the Haynes and get it aligned.

Thanks Andy!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt even think of the clutch switch my bad

Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
yup. 6 times in a row it has to be the switch.

truthfully if i were you i would just override the switch so it cant happen again.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whabam?
That's where your problem lies. If ya would have said, Shuh-zam!, then, well heck, there ya go!
Hang in there, we are here to help. Keep coming back.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
f250_kinda_girl
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Fat Donkey
Hey guys, Newbie here with a newbie-caliber question/comment...

First off- 93 F150 extracab 4x4, 300ci, 5 speed, dual tanks, 130,000mi

The last 2 days I've been having a hell of a problem starting the truck. Plenty of battery power, when I rotate the ignition to Start, nothing happens except for 1 clicking noise. After trying over and over it finally engages the starter and starts right up, which is a good thing but does not inspire any confidence...

Anyways, today I was talking to a friend about it and compared the problem to the likes of trying to start a car with a manual transmission and not engaging the clutch. Long story short, I went out to the truck today and messed with a few things. Pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and same issue. Next try I pushed the clutch to where it was 2-3 inches shy of the floor and the truck started right up. Of course I thought this was a fluke so I tried to start it with the clutch fully engaged to the floor, nothing. Let up on the clutch a bit and whabam, started right up.

All I will ever own are manual vehicles and I have been through 6 manual vehicles thus far and have never owned a car that didn't start with the clutch fully depressed. Has anybody ever had the same issue? Is this normal or should I be worried?

Thanks!
Ryan

my clutch does the same thing. started about a year after a new clutch was put in

Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
BucksTrucks
Senior User
When I got my 91 to start if you had to push the clutch pedel with your tow and kinda push it to the right to get it to start. Then one day if failed compleatly, on a boat ramp none the less. I by passed it with a paper clip. That was 3 years ago... Its still there to this day. My cruise control dosen't work anymore because the truck thinks the clutch is pushed in, I might fix it one of these days.

Search this Thread