1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Project Lazarus-The Mare Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:50 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Project Lazarus-The Mare Resurrection

I guess it's time for me to start an official build thread. I wanted to wait until I knew this project would be moving forward and it looks like I'm at that point.

For those that don't know, The Mare was previously owned and loved by another FTE member Glenn. AKA Oldbird1965. He put countless hours and dollars into this truck. Unfortunately it caught fire outside of Detroit and burned up the interior pretty good. Giving him a measly day to grieve, I was in his ear to sell me the beautiful rust free shell. My truck runs fantastic, but I had wanted to do a dually conversion anyway and the Ohio winters have started to get the best of the body. Glenn obliged and sold me the mare. Minus motor and trans. I had it shipped to me in Columbus from outside of Detroit. This was early fall of '15. I've been picking at it here and there, but mostly started on it the last few weeks.

So here's the plan. Gut the mare. I'm not going crazy with paint and body work as it's mostly in great shape. Besides, I use my truck and don't want or need a show truck. Take my interior, motor, ZF and Dana 60 and install in the mare. There will of course be some mods done along the way. My goal is to be in the neighborhood of 500 reliable hp for towing and Sunday drives. I bought a blasted and painted rust free frame from Bill (Rebilld). So the upgrades are as follows.

S369 turbo
Head studs
Pushrods
T500 or adrenaline HPOP
33 gallon single tank rear (eliminating midship tank)
Stainless brake lines
New fuel lines
2.5" RSK
Run my 285's with 2" spacer in the rear duals

Once I recoup some of this money I'll spring for 238/100's and a dual disk clutch. Currently I'll keep my 180/80's in there and my Kevlar/ceramic valair clutch.

The timetable for this was supposed to be RRE (July '16), but I'm not going to rush it if it's not ready. I will try my best.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff and will add as I go. Anyway here are some pics.

My current truck. This is an older pic and it's much more rotted now.

When the Mare burnt

Getting delivered to me in Columbus

My work truck taking it to my house

At my shop. First thing I had to do was take the grandpa running boards off.

I pulled the bed to get the 38 gallon rear tank to Glenn when we went and did his build for the ox.

Carnage pics

When I started pulling the dash

Firewall

And now it's pretty well stripped. Few more loose ends before it's ready for paint, but it's close.

It's been stripped cleaner since this pic, but you get the idea. Doors are off and I need to take out the glass, tunnel for DP and it'll be ready for paint.

That's it for now. I just ordered some rust sheild, rustoleum top coat, stainless brake lines and 33 gallon rear tank. Hopefully I'll keep pushing forward.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:52 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
I'd also like to add that I have a house Reno STILL going on and a family. So time is always an issue. Not to mention the giant expense this is turning into.

There are also a couple of guys that are helping big time with parts, labor, advice and encouragement. Without these guys, this wouldn't be possible. They know who they are! You guys are the best!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:34 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
A 4wd dually is just dead sexy. Good luck with the build!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:33 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 97-psd
A 4wd dually is just dead sexy. Good luck with the build!
Thanks Ben. I completely agree. I've wanted a dually for a while. We have mostly 550's at work and the stability in them for a pickup is second to none. I also don't need my truck as a DD, so a dedicated tow rig/toy was what I wanted.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:51 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
You did a lot of work already Todd. It's looking good compared to before! Take your time, you'll get er done. Those 550 springs on mine definitely make a stable tow rig, but riding in it empty is another story. Like you mine is a dedicated tow rig though, other things get driven for a DD.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:16 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I would love to get my hands on a rust free frame and body! My truck is a dedicated tow rig and Sunday driver.

I really miss the cab and chassis 4x4 I had. Very stable great towing truck.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
You did a lot of work already Todd. It's looking good compared to before! Take your time, you'll get er done. Those 550 springs on mine definitely make a stable tow rig, but riding in it empty is another story. Like you mine is a dedicated tow rig though, other things get driven for a DD.
Thanks Darin. It's definitely better than it was. My original plan for a dually was a 550 rear axle with air ride and 19.5's. When the mare came available that changed that. No point in dropping 2k on a Dana 135 now. I still may air ride this truck some day. The deleting of the midship tank is mostly to make room for an air tank in its place. I will be doing enough driving of it here and there empty that I don't think going to the 550 springs is a good idea. Pretty sure I don't want to hear my wife complain about that rough ride. Lol

Old 05-01-2016, 03:26 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Looks good Todd, you have a lot of work cut out for you but you have a solid platform to start with. Time sometimes is harder to come by then money! Good luck on your project!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Looks good Todd, you have a lot of work cut out for you but you have a solid platform to start with. Time sometimes is harder to come by then money! Good luck on your project!
Thank you Glenn. Time is the most valuable commodity I have.

I really want to get this thing road worthy in time for RRE so you can see your baby again. If that doesn't happen, we will have to make that work somewhere else.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:26 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta love a 4x4 crew cab dually!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:26 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Yea them cc 4x4 dually sure are sexy!!!!

I have alcoas lol

Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to be the odd one out, but I don't like duallys as much!

I have to say though, they definitely are better for towing when it comes to large loads like 5th wheels or something. Also have a 4x4 CC dually is pretty unique and cool.

It's awesome you are getting to bring a truck back to life as well! When I sold my donor F250 single cab long bed parts truck, I was hoping it would get some use (despite being beat up and having no wiring/engine or transmission.) The guy who bought it planned on turning it into a dune buggy type truck so it wasn't getting totally scrapped!

What do you plan on doing with your cab? Is it really too rusty to do much with? Your old pictures of your truck look really good. However, I think any OBS style truck looks great (be it an F150-350 or Bronco)

Old 05-01-2016, 10:45 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
You will have a neat truck when you get it done Todd. I had this same thing in mind when I bought the 96 crew, as I have a running gear from a 95 crew 4X4 parts truck. But that is as far as that project got.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Darn right. And a ZF to boot!

Originally Posted by fordman67
Yea them cc 4x4 dually sure are sexy!!!!

I have alcoas lol
Yeah yeah. This truck used to have alcoas....

Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
I have to be the odd one out, but I don't like duallys as much!

I have to say though, they definitely are better for towing when it comes to large loads like 5th wheels or something. Also have a 4x4 CC dually is pretty unique and cool.

It's awesome you are getting to bring a truck back to life as well! When I sold my donor F250 single cab long bed parts truck, I was hoping it would get some use (despite being beat up and having no wiring/engine or transmission.) The guy who bought it planned on turning it into a dune buggy type truck so it wasn't getting totally scrapped!

What do you plan on doing with your cab? Is it really too rusty to do much with? Your old pictures of your truck look really good. However, I think any OBS style truck looks great (be it an F150-350 or Bronco)
To each his own. The dually will suite my needs. Like I said I don't need this truck everyday and they are exponentially better for towing heavy. Not a requirement, but much better.

The cab is probably the best part of my old truck. A few spots have rot, but nothing major. I've toyed with the idea of making a mud rig out of it. However, that is simply not in the budget.

Originally Posted by farmert
You will have a neat truck when you get it done Todd. I had this same thing in mind when I bought the 96 crew, as I have a running gear from a 95 crew 4X4 parts truck. But that is as far as that project got.
Thanks Tom. I really hope this project stays on track and doesn't go by the way side. Only time will tell.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
This is going to be fun

Quick Reply: Project Lazarus-The Mare Resurrection