General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Outboard help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Outboard help

I got a 1990 Evinrude 50 hp. It has sat for several years. I cleaned the float bowls and new plugs. It will only run on both carbs when the choke is on. So I assume I still have one carb plugged. Or could I have rust under the flywheel causing this? What would you recomend to put in the gas tank to run through it to clean the carbs without hurting them. It has low hours on it since it was gone through. And ran fine 5 years ago when I last used it so I hope it is not to serious a problem. I used to use Carb Life but it is not available here anymore. Thanks

Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you sure the needle valve is not stuck in the 2nd carb shutting off the fuel to it?......The "new and improved" fuels with alcohol in them tend to play havoc with the gaskets, o rings and seats in 2 stroke outboard carbs if not run dry after each use......Similar problem shut down my 35hp Evinrude and ruined a fishing trip, had to tear down the carb at home........Now I always run the "clear" non alcohol fuel in the boats

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
The float bowls are full. So I am sure it is plugged. I will haul it and thoroughly clean all the jets in the carbs this time. Good to know about the gas. Will I be okay if I run the carbs dry after every use. There ain't any choice on what gas we get here. And additives are few. Only about 6 weeks of boating weather left than she gets hauled for winter anyway. But there is a lot of crab and halibut out there right now. And the kids have the freezer full of Humpies (pinks) for bait.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
The needle valves on these carbs have rubber seats, the alcohol in the fuel makes them swell and stick in the orifice effectively shutting off the fuel, no matter what the float is doing.........give it a try if fuel has been sitting in the fuel bowls longer than 24hrs..........Yes, ALWAYS RUN 2 STROKES DRY OF FUEL IF NOT GOING TO BE RUN WITHIN A DAY OR 2!......unless you have access to old style clear fuel.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
So where do ya get clear non alcohol fuel? What is it?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arctic y block
So where do ya get clear non alcohol fuel? What is it?
Used to be the normal fuel, until EPA mandated the new alcohol laden "cleaner burning" gas............A few stations here in OR. sell it. mainly the ones close rivers and lakes, because it is popular with boaters, most marinas also sell it.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 666 Likes on 426 Posts
In some states Premium doesn't have ethenol in it. You'd have to check with your supplier though.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Okay I will ask Tony at Petro Marine next trip into town and see if it is available here. Thanks again. There is a lot of older outboards here so I would think there is something they are doing. I'll ask at the boat shop that want's to kit my carbs also. Said he can do it in two hours if I bring the boat in to him. Don't sound to bad but the rusty old trailer will never make the trip. Prolly borrow one tho. Folks are good about that up here. I'll take em off and clean em myself and see if they work first as it's a one and a half hour trip to town. But I can get to the city in 45 minutes by boat. Ahh!! the life of an Alaskan Islander. Damn it's friggn hot here. Time for a cool one.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Be prepared to pay about 30 or more cents a gallon for clear fuel...........another way to empty boaters wallets a little faster.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
In some states Premium doesn't have ethenol in it. You'd have to check with your supplier though.
We used to say fill her up with Ethel and it was the good stuff. Now I am confused.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I just found a place right here that sells regular for .39 cheaper than any where else. So I got to find a way to use it. Would a new kit have the right o-rings and seals. This out board has little hours on it and is like new. to good to scrap cuz of the damn type of gas.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
I just found a place right here that sells regular for .39 cheaper than any where else. So I got to find a way to use it. Would a new kit have the right o-rings and seals. This out board has little hours on it and is like new. to good to scrap cuz of the damn type of gas.
Yes, new rebuild kits are alcohol compliant..........I just found it easier to run dry after each use than rebuild my carbs........just lazy I guess!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Yes, new rebuild kits are alcohol compliant..........I just found it easier to run dry after each use than rebuild my carbs........just lazy I guess!
As Mine is sitting at the dock with both carbs full. I will haul it in the morning and pull the carbs. Shop said not to run it like it is or i may burn a piston. So Just to get it to the trailer I hope will be okay. I will call in the morning and see how far away the kits are. If they are close and I have the carbs off I can wait a few days. Maybe. But knowin me once I think I got them clean she will get wet again. He he

Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 666 Likes on 426 Posts
We used to say fill her up with Ethel and it was the good stuff. Now I am confused.
I believe (I actually had to do some research), that "Ethyl" referred to tetraethyl lead. Once commonly added to gasoline as an anti-knock/octane booster. Well before the days of unleaded gas, of course.

Tetraethyllead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Right on David. That sounds about right. Thanks. Now I am just waiting on the tide to haul the boat and clean the carbs out. Hope it works and I don't have to kit them. I can do that in a few weeks after the kids are in school and the weather turns.