Computer Chips & Tuners  

Better For towing?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:42 AM
DUALLYNOTED
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Better For towing?????

Im wondering if there is a chip/tuner that primarily deals with towing..Pulling a 30' camper or 26" boat im looking for the best towing power or do they all help?

Old 09-24-2006, 11:44 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are performance adders. Most diesel tuners will have a towing setting, but they will have a weight limit. Tow performance is usually under 6K and Tow safe is 10K+. Sence your already doing guages, it wouldn't hurt to add an EGT.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:20 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I pulled almost the limit on my little flatbed trailer of 7k in the performance setting and I still saw about a .2 increase in mileage(3 hr round trip). Now if I'm pulling horses, I use the regular tow setting(which is just the first of three power settings that are on the triple dog programmer), because that is a significant amount of weight and plus, I don't want too much response when I'm hauling horses. There are four totalings settings on my application(stock(which I really don't count since to my knowledge nothing changes), tow, performance, and extreme), the second and third can be used for towing, but like ReAX stated, there are weight limits, if you want to get the most out of it, as far as, power and mileage goes. Most of the tuners/downloaders/chips I believe have the option for the tow setting, so it would really boil down to which ones meet your individual needs. Bullydog has done right by me, although I know others it hasn't, Edge I believe has pretty much the same outcome if you were to ask around, the other popular programmers, I wouldn't know. I don't have any type of experiance with them other then reading posts on here about them. I would also highly suggest an egt gauge, now I'm more of a proponant of the digital gauges(as most of them will give you the ability to defuel based on high egt's and some will also defuel based on tranny temp.) as opposed to analog ones(although the analog ones look cooler), but that really just boils down to personal tasts and ultimately the pocketbook. Hope this was somewhat helpful to you.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:09 PM
DUALLYNOTED
Senior User
Thanks for the replies..The EGT is already in place and works fine..My truck has a chip already but Im not exactly sure where it is, what kind it is and if there are even settings on it. It came with the truck..Its my first diesel..I just dont feel like I get the pulling power I should.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Troyer Performance
Former Vendor
Hi Duallynoted,

This is indeed an important issue - towing with a diesel that has a performance chip can be tricky, as the tune needs to be specifically made with towing in mind - this is primarily an issue of EGT's as far as the engine is concerned, but also how the automatic transmission is set up in automatic models.

If you need any help with this, please feel free to give us a call & we can go over this in proper detail with you.