1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

UH OH,wife caught me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
UH OH,wife caught me.

Like alot of folks nowadays, were broke, but seeing the C4 I rebuilt sitting on the bench for whats it been now a year? is getting to me. It was tolerable when I couldent do it anyway because of my RA, and it was out of the question, but I have figured a way to do it alone, even with the RA and that changes things. Ok to make this story shorter, last night I gave in and ordered a new B&M Holeshot torque converter from Summitt, (on credit) and went to sleep. I just got to a deep sleep when I herd My beautiful wife yelling YOU JUST ORDERD A $300 PART? and the rest of what she said you have herd b4, im sure. Well I said somthing and went back to sleep, hopeing things would ok in the AM. Morning comes and wifey is in a great mood, so i took her shoe shopping, (always a good move). Now I have to figure out how I can finagel the B&M 57 tooth 26 spline 28oz Bal. flex plate, a new transmission cross member, and ATF fluid. My mind is turning LOL I thought you guys could relate.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 647 Likes on 344 Posts
Somehow Jim....you have to turn that torque converter into a Valentine's present for your wife. That you bought it for HER. So that her life will be easier, she will look younger, and it brings world peace.
Get out your thinking cap....you have less than two days to come up with something.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 4,100 Likes on 1,950 Posts
LOL
You brought a smile to my face.

They say honesty is the best policy. You could sit little woman down and explain to her, much as you did with us, but........and this happens to all of us....once you start explaining yourself outloud it suddenly sounds all goofy. Then little woman gets that look on her face, the arms cross, and in extreme cases, the toe starts tapping......

maybe you better lie.....

....well..er....Honey, its like this......there was this monster see......

good luck, we're all pulling for you
Bobby

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,172 Likes on 839 Posts
Ok, first, I see the old saying,"It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission" falling right in here. You already bought it what can she really do now?

As for the additional parts that could get a little more dicey. She already voice her objection to the torque converter. She could get really steamed if you go out and spend more right after you spent a wad. Wait a few weeks at least before going any further.

With my current project I've had it sitting around so long she wants the car done and out of the way. I've been welding on it for the last two weeks. I've had to update my welder with new parts. I don't really have the money either but we both want this project to get back on track.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 632 Likes on 391 Posts
"Honey, it's for medical reasons..."

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
RGB500
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. They always get over it....eventually!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm

They say honesty is the best policy. Bobby
Where'd you hear some crap like that Bobby?

Whomever it was, they didn't restore classic vehicles. I have always worked on the side, parted out vehicles etc for extra resto cash. It creates the illlusion one might be breaking even. And once in awhile, I sell a fender and we go shoe shopping, or usually makeup which is her weakness.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 321 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Now I have to figure out how I can finagel the B&M 57 tooth 26 spline 28oz Bal. flex plate, a new transmission cross member, and ATF fluid. My mind is turning LOL I thought you guys could relate.
Maybe buy her a pair of socks? If that doesn't work, sweeten the pot with a new shoehorn.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 983 Likes on 889 Posts
Now you got me worried...picked up some 54 and 70 items from NPD yesterday, after dropping wife off at the Charlotte, NC airport. She won't be back for a week so I've got some time.....

Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 4,100 Likes on 1,950 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
Where'd you hear some crap like that Bobby?

And once in awhile, I sell a fender and we go shoe shopping, or usually makeup which is her weakness.
LOL, I know...right?

I've learned to never take my wife with me when I wheel and deal. When I do she ends up with a big wad of cash and I end up with empty pockets.
When I sell something and she's not around I at least have a chance to take my cut before she get the cash (shhh, dont tell her)

Bobby

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every once in a while I do small jobs and have the client write me a check instead of to my company. Usually in the 2 to 5 hundred dollar range. Sometimes they mail it after I email them an invoice. If my wife gets to the mail before me it is "oh honey, thanks for the check that came in the mail today. I signed and cashed it for you. Oh, and I stopped at TJMaxx and Marshalls." Of course there will be nothing left. But she is usually good about my purchases for the truck. Good luck Jim, hope your finances improve and you are able to get what you need without getting into trouble.
Valentines day! I almost completely forgot! Thanks for the reminder PineconeFord!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Like alot of folks nowadays, were broke, but seeing the C4 I rebuilt sitting on the bench for whats it been now a year? is getting to me. It was tolerable when I couldent do it anyway because of my RA, and it was out of the question, but I have figured a way to do it alone, even with the RA and that changes things. Ok to make this story shorter, last night I gave in and ordered a new B&M Holeshot torque converter from Summitt, (on credit) and went to sleep. I just got to a deep sleep when I herd My beautiful wife yelling YOU JUST ORDERD A $300 PART? and the rest of what she said you have herd b4, im sure. Well I said somthing and went back to sleep, hopeing things would ok in the AM. Morning comes and wifey is in a great mood, so i took her shoe shopping, (always a good move). Now I have to figure out how I can finagel the B&M 57 tooth 26 spline 28oz Bal. flex plate, a new transmission cross member, and ATF fluid. My mind is turning LOL I thought you guys could relate.
LOL I have this perfect image in my head, of how that went...LOL
Nice move Jim!!! But don't get beat up dude! Sleep with one eye open!!! LOL

Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jim,

You should have added the flex plate and the fluid to the order & done it all at once! Then you'd only have one set of apologies and one trip shoe shopping!!

Dan

Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the doorbell rings in the afternoon my wifes standard response is "what did you get now' knowing that it is about the time the UPS or Fedex guy usually comes. I asked her one day why she never get upset with how much I spend on the toys in the garage, she said that it could be worse, I might of taken up golf, at least I have something to show beside a score card.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Every purchase for my truck is unauthorized, and I hear about it every time.
I do mention before I purchase something, that I need to buy it. When she see's our son's and I working together on the truck, mostly all is forgiven. When company comes over and see's the truck and says, is that ever cool, she forgets all about it. I did buy her a new dishwasher last summer. I did promise her I would consult on further purchases. I have been the same shoes as you Jim, when I go to sleep feeling guilty and just waiting for the PayPal e-mail or bank statement to come. Just tell your wife, it's part's you need to complete the truck. I allways relate the stuff I buy to being alot cheaper than fixin our daily driver's. Hope all goes well.

Quick Reply: UH OH,wife caught me.