6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changing from Banks to SCT tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Changing from Banks to SCT tuner

Ever since I blew my head gaskets a year ago, I have been driving very conservatively, but I am sick of that. I am ready to admit that I wasted a lot of money on the (well-marketed) Banks and get an SCT X3 tuner. I would like to keep the PDA for the guages - is that possible? I don't want the tuners to fight or the Banks to override the SCT. I found an '07 thread that said it wasn't possible

Also are there any issues to look out for if you buy an SCT used? I know it needs to be unlocked. A guy has one with Spartan tunes for a F250 6.0L and I was thinking of getting it. Will I be able to use the tunes? I want to get some custom ones but I feel like I should figure out what I want to do with the EGR cooler (delete vs Bulletproof EGR) and fuel system (probably ITP RR) first.

Any comments or thoughts? Should I just wait on the tuner until I finish sorting out the mods? Thanks

Truck: 2006 F250 6.0L CC SB Banks Big Hoss Bundle, ARP studs, coolant filter, Racor CCV 4500 Reroute.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullid01
Ever since I blew my head gaskets a year ago, I have been driving very conservatively, but I am sick of that. I am ready to admit that I wasted a lot of money on the (well-marketed) Banks and get an SCT X3 tuner. I would like to keep the PDA for the guages - is that possible? I don't want the tuners to fight or the Banks to override the SCT. I found an '07 thread that said it wasn't possible

Also are there any issues to look out for if you buy an SCT used? I know it needs to be unlocked. A guy has one with Spartan tunes for a F250 6.0L and I was thinking of getting it. Will I be able to use the tunes? I want to get some custom ones but I feel like I should figure out what I want to do with the EGR cooler (delete vs Bulletproof EGR) and fuel system (probably ITP RR) first.

Any comments or thoughts? Should I just wait on the tuner until I finish sorting out the mods? Thanks

Truck: 2006 F250 6.0L CC SB Banks Big Hoss Bundle, ARP studs, coolant filter, Racor CCV 4500 Reroute.
Well i donlt know anything about using one tunes for gauges and one for tuning, but if i were you i would just sell that banks and buy an SCT Livewire or better yet TSX.

When buying an SCT used, just make sure you are buying it from the original first owner IMO.

Keep in mind spartan wont tune using SCT devices anymore i believe. So if you need updated tunes im not sure if you would get them.

Your truck is going to thank you alot for switching tuners. Hopefully not too much damage has been done by the banks.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
[QUOTE=motor-man;9402888]Well i donlt know anything about using one tunes for gauges and one for tuning, but if i were you i would just sell that banks and buy an SCT Livewire or better yet TSX.

Yeah - I was hoping the next grand could go to the ITP RR and EGR delete. I've been psyching myself up to do the work.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
I spoke with Banks today and it cannot be done so I'll be needing some new guages. Just wanted to let any other Banks people out there know. Wish I had found FTE before I bought the Banks tuner/PDA.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by motor-man
Well i donlt know anything about using one tunes for gauges and one for tuning, but if i were you i would just sell that banks and buy an SCT Livewire or better yet TSX.

When buying an SCT used, just make sure you are buying it from the original first owner IMO.

Keep in mind spartan wont tune using SCT devices anymore i believe. So if you need updated tunes im not sure if you would get them.

Your truck is going to thank you alot for switching tuners. Hopefully not too much damage has been done by the banks.
the livewire is not a very good one to get. They have problems. The general consensus is a 50/50 chance of getting one that will work, and the tsx wont let you use custom tunes (to my knowledge anyways). As far as using the old spartan tunes they will work if you have the same stratagy. If you don't you will just have to get tunes from someone else like Eric at idp.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texans
the livewire is not a very good one to get. They have problems. The general consensus is a 50/50 chance of getting one that will work, and the tsx wont let you use custom tunes (to my knowledge anyways). As far as using the old spartan tunes they will work if you have the same stratagy. If you don't you will just have to get tunes from someone else like Eric at idp.
I believe the livewire is just about problem free by now. First few had their problems but my guess is if you purchased a livewire from SCT you would not have any problems. If you do, ship it back, they'll fix it, and you'll have in back in just over a week, which is what happened to my buddy. They paid for shipping too.

And yes you can get custom tunes with the TSX, that's what i have and run custom.