General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What might've been had they lived

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 AM
court1100f
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What might've been had they lived

I mean folks like Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers, John Lennon,Marty Robbins,Keith Whitley,though some may not like him Kurt Cobain,Freddy Mercury,Ritchie Valens,Buddy Holly,Big Bopper just seems like such a DAMN shame these Super talented people lost their lives and We lost them what could've been had they lived Duane Allman Did not have to die on a piece of junk Motorcycle what a waste of an incredible natural talent. and like him or not Kurt Cobain was highly talented aswell and I doubt ANYBODY whether you like REAL country or not would dispute how awsome Marty Robbins and His Voice of Gold was. Don't even get me started on Buddy Holly or Ritchie Valens or The Big Bopper What a DAMN SHAME its depressing if you really think about it ohwell just had to get that off my mind

Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
I wonder what Jimi Hendrix would be doing today. Would he be making new music? Or would he be playing his oldies at small venues? Would he be starring in his own reality show? Or maybe just enjoying a quiet retirement?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good point!

I wonder about Patsy Cline. Jim Croce. Hank Williams, Sr. Harry Chapin.

YouTube - Rock and Roll Heaven by The Righteous Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWGT...eature=related

Old 09-29-2010, 01:16 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm pretty sure Hank Sr would still be dead. How old would he be now? 95 or so, at least? Anyway, I know what you mean. Whenever I hear Keith Whitley I get the same feelings you're talking about- what the world has lost. I feel very strongly about Stevie Ray Vaughn, probably my favorite guitarist and I still have a couple of 'Double Trouble' cd's riding around with me. Don't forget about The Marshall Tucker Band. I mean, geez! if there was ever a band that seemed to be cursed, it was them. I love a few of their songs to this day: "Fire in the Mountain," "Heard it in a Love Song," "Can't You See."

But then again, we move through life with these types of things. It's all part of living. Some of it (I believe) happens so that we get to remember fondly the music of our youth (although I'm not nearly old enough to remember Hank Williams, lol). Without getting too religious, sometimes I feel that people like SRV died because God wanted to hear some blues. Freddie Mercury, as talented as he was, was not a young man. His choices lead him to an early grave, though. Same with Hendrix, Joplin, and Whitley. Still, everyone has to die and what they leave behind is what we get to enjoy. Now, listen to a little 'Little Wing,' and reflect.

SRV:

Hendrix:

Now listen to Charlie talk about some of his closest friends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTn4K2QC4rc
But don't drink a beer until you get home! Thanks.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, you're not the first one to think about this topic. Stephen King wrote a short story about it, called 'You Know They Got A Hell Of A Band.' Pretty good story, and apparently, TNT made it into a movie. I'm checking Netflix for it....

Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Originally Posted by horsepuller
I wonder what Jimi Hendrix would be doing today. Would he be making new music? Or would he be playing his oldies at small venues? Would he be starring in his own reality show? Or maybe just enjoying a quiet retirement?
I have all of the albums from The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and mint condition albums of Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes. Listen to them often. Diceman was right when he called Jimi a left handed genius. Best, CB

Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Lynyrd Skynyrd. Another group that lost a lot of talent way too early.

You mention Keith Whitley, I saw a special in KET (Kentucky Educational Television) about J.D. Crowe, a Bluegrass musician from Nicholasville, Ky, and they talked about all the great musicians that has played in his band, or at least played around. Keith Whitley was talked about pretty extensively. Keith and Ricky Skaggs played with J.D. back in the 70's. They were huge on the bluegrass scene back then.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
court1100f
Elder User
yep lots of people lost way too soon call me old and set in my ways but most of the contemporary crap aint any good I find myself living in the past most of the time. Marty Robbins just had an Incredible voice and I love the Bass in "Don't worry about me" and a good song by him aswell well two My woman my woman my wife & Streets of Laredo

Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
court1100f
Elder User
Jimi was BAD AxS!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM
court1100f
Elder User
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Good point!

I wonder about Patsy Cline. Jim Croce. Hank Williams, Sr. Harry Chapin.
Good Call on Jim Croce likewise with Patsy Cline seems like such a waste it really does

Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,138 Likes on 4,210 Posts
Great names...great performers...I had to read this thread twice before I saw that Stu had mentioned Joplin. Truly a great performer with a self destructive addictive personality.

YouTube - Janis Joplin / Me And Bobby Mcgee [Live] 1970

Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
FlyByNight
Senior User
Originally Posted by horsepuller
He'd still be melting into his guitar. ******** width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X34gR-PogME?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">*********>

Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For the ones that O.D'ed....They were probably pretty close to giving us all they had left.

I could just imagine Jimi & Freddie in a jam session today though....

"excuse me while I kiss this guy....."

In all seriousness, Jimi and Freddie were both genius in their own right. More so than the rest sans Lennon & Holly.

All were/are great entertainers.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Stephen King wrote a short story called "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" and it's about all these great people you speak of.

They apparently got sucked into a vortex in the woods of Maine and play concerts for the town folk every night!!

It's much like Hotel California,,, once you check in,,, you can't check out!!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Jimi Hendrix would have mellowed and just become one of those living guitar legends like Eric Clapton............man, what he might have made up along the way.

Quick Reply: What might've been had they lived