1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Too many hydrocarbons

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 PM
WyldeF250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many hydrocarbons

I just bought a 1969 Ford F250 Camper Special with a 360 V8, and I can't get it to pass Nevada Smog. The Smog test showed the hydrocarbons were way over the limit of 800 parts per million. I'm throwing out 2600 to 3000 parts per million. I don't know what this means? The guy who did the smog test said it was definitely a mechanical issue.

Anyone know what the problem may be, or more importantly how I can fix it? I already checked the engine's compression. All the cylinders were between 105psi and 125psi. I also re-gapped the plugs, because they were all different.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM
frankensteined_67
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the hydrocarbon test deals with fuel. sense i just went through this with my toyota i know how frustrating it can be. i have a long crapy story on that. but the reason you fail is cus your over fueling the motor. i know you did some of these but im going to list what you need to check. spark plugs, timing, distributor and rotor, carb adjustment, and vacuum can also make the over fueling problem. also im not sure if the charcoal canister can make this happen but im sure some one can chime in on that one.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 PM
68horses
Senior User
WyldeF250,
I have the exact same truck (except not a Camper Special) and also live in Nevada (Las Vegas) and have the same issue every year. This is what I do and it seems to work. Fresh oil change, new air filter, new pcv filter, new plugs/good tune up (set points, timing, carb, etc.) and note where your timing is with a light cause you're gonna change it. I usually set my timing by advancing it as far as it will take without pinging/spark knocking or kicking back on the starter on warm startups. Then I use a vacuum gauge (connected to manifold vacuum, not the carb) to set the carb for maximum vacuum at idle. Now that your truck is running great, your gonna make run like poop to pass smog. Put a full tank of name brand 91 octane gas with 1 or 2 bottles of dry gas/gas line antifreeze/isopropyl alcohol. retard timing 10-12 degrees (you'll need to raise the idle to keep it running) and screw the carb idle mixture screws in 1/2-3/4 of a turn (make a note of how far and raise idle speed as needed) take it to the smog shop. If you're close, but still no cigar, go around the corner (or home) and retard timing a couple more degrees and turn the mixture screws in another 1/4 turn and go back to smog. After it passes, undo all of the stuff that you did to make it pass/run crappy. I've done this same dance for the past 6 years and it works for me. If you're in Vegas and need help with this stuff, PM me with your phone number. A 6-pack of Bud light and an hour or so and we'll be done. I also know a place that will help you through it if needed.
HTH, Good Luck,
Gene

Last edited by 68horses; 09-21-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
68horses
Senior User
WyldeF250,
I just noticed that you are a new member and can't yet send a PM, but I think you can click on my name "68horses" to send me an email with your phone number. Oh, yeah, and welcome to FTE.
HTH,
Gene

Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thats what i did. it works. here in nj i failed, so i went down the street, busted out the screwdriver and adjustable wrench and got it running like a pig, then ran it through again and i passed.

jay leno said something the other day on speed channel i found intersting....

"if you keep an old car running and drive an old car how much are you really polluting the environment? i mean, they dont have leaded gas anymore, and nobody takes into account whats required to build a new fuel efficient car. the energy and burning of resources and creating pollution it takes to build a new car, then ship it somewhere as well."

the part i have the biggest problem with is waste.....
you have to pay people a decent salary to work at the place and be inspectors. you have to power the building. you have to waste fuel and create pollution to heat the facility and i believe its oil. you have to pay the managers there more money. people like me who also had a harmless crack on the bottom left corner that the inspection sticker wouldve covered, are forced to go out and waste $250 on a new windshield. so here is an enormous amount of money out of your pocket, but before it even enters your pocket the state had to rob you high and dry and waste tax money on the whole stupid operation that has nothing to do with safety or clean air.

fire everybody there, burn the place down, and get rid of half the police and court system as well.
they will all lose jobs but find better jobs because money will not be stolen from hard working middle class citizens with taxes, and redistributed in a corrupt and wasteful manner. according to thomas jefferson this is the key to a perfect economy.

he says,
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the
people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
boo-yaa138
Senior User
you have to smog a 69? that sucks! i guess there are some good things about California!
i have a 69 and i've never smogged it

Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
68horses
Senior User
Everything 1968 and newer needs to be smogged in Nevada. And it doesn't move a year up each year.
Gene

Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 AM
RANGER589
Senior User
Topic chaps my A$$

It's all a big money scam. Anyone with a lick of brains can see that.

Here in Connecticut they took the emmissions and out sourced it to private shops. Essentially allowing legal extortion. What I mean is you go to a private shop to get emmission tested. What is the likelihood they are going to find something wrong if your vehicle is 5 years or older? Pretty high is my guess. What's the average driver going to do? Go to a couple different shops for second opinions and pay twenty bucks each time? So guess what? No pass on inspection and who's going to fix the problem? The same shop that you brought it to or another one. Doesn't really matter.

I had a 96 Aerostar and brought it in for emmissions. Didn't pass, or so the mechanic said. $600 later I get my emmission sticker. All because of a faulty oxygen sensor which couldn't be easily removed and needed a new exhaust component. Total B.S.

The biggest B.S. is most of our air pollution comes from P.A., N.Y., and N.J. That's documented fact.

Todays vehilces run so clean that emmissions is a joke. If you have a vehilce that is less than five years old and running properly it should pass inspection by a wide margin.

The one shining light in this is at least here they don't require testing for vehicles older than 1986. Probably because there just aren't that many older than that on the road in the state