1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Jacks 65 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
looks great, what kind of soda blaster/sand blaster was that?
just today took a 64 cab that had no rust on the bottom to get crushed

Old 03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Jacks 65
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schoo
looks great, what kind of soda blaster/sand blaster was that?
just today took a 64 cab that had no rust on the bottom to get crushed
The soda blaster is from harbor freight, it does a pretty decent job, other than clogging a bit at times...I was surprised at how well it removed 47 yr old undercoating

Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 AM
fordpt
Senior User

Sorry about your arm. When I broke my right arm (ladder broke) Doctor told me to keep working, do as much as I could and when it hurts, just do more with other arm. Same response when I had carpal tunnel surgery. So I did this. http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a38169.jpg

Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Jacks 65
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordpt
Sorry about your arm. When I broke my right arm (ladder broke) Doctor told me to keep working, do as much as I could and when it hurts, just do more with other arm. Same response when I had carpal tunnel surgery. So I did this. http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a38169.jpg
That's awesome! I am trying to keep it moving, but the swelling is still pretty substantial at this point...my doc told me the same thing yours did. My break is in the elbow though, I guess when I said arm it was pretty in general of me.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 PM
fordpt
Senior User

Swelling, inflammation and pain, Advil or Equate liquid gels work for me.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Jacks 65
Junior User
Swelling, inflammation and pain, Advil or Equate liquid gels work for me.
Right now they have me on prescription anti inflammatories, and pain meds...good stuff, makes me a little light headed though

Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 PM
fordpt
Senior User

Better to put up with some pain and swelling using over the counter meds than to use addictive prescription meds, they should be called brain medicine because all it does is trick your brain. You have to take more and more, they stop working, take even more. Not good. I lost my twin brother at age 39 to pain meds. I used them for when I had carpal tunnel surgery.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM
andgott
Senior User
Looking good!

How hard was it to modify the steering column? The one in my '66 is out of a 70 something, and a little longer than it should be. It works, but doesn't leave a lot of room for the driver. I guess my options are to go on a diet, or shorten the column...

-Andrew

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Jacks 65
Junior User
Originally Posted by andgott
Looking good!

How hard was it to modify the steering column? The one in my '66 is out of a 70 something, and a little longer than it should be. It works, but doesn't leave a lot of room for the driver. I guess my options are to go on a diet, or shorten the column...

-Andrew
It was fairly simple to shorten the column housing. I didn't shorten the shaft itself because I had a shaft that was correct length. Fordification.com has a good write up on shortening everything.
How to Shorten Your Manual-Steering Column - FORDification.com

Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
jack it loks like you did not pull off the cross members or other riveted mounts
to clean rust under?
my frame is lightly rusted but what about in between these areas?
roy

Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Jacks 65
Junior User
Originally Posted by schoo
jack it loks like you did not pull off the cross members or other riveted mounts
to clean rust under?
my frame is lightly rusted but what about in between these areas?
roy
Roy, you are correct...I didn't remove any crossmembers...hopefully it doesn't come back and bite me. This was a Kansas truck, and I now live in the high desert in Reno, and the truck will be garaged for the rest of its life...hopefully the rust converter seeped under the crossmember to help me out but probably not.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
the reason i ask is i'm a way's behind you in time and skill and about to remove the cab on mine. and their was alot of dirt between members that blasted out
with pressure washer mine still has paint in most places. just thinking how far to go 0n this?
roy

Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Jacks 65
Junior User
Roy, I don't have much skill, just not afraid to jump in and tear this truck apart. In fact I'm a bit scared to put it back together lol. I think how far you go is up to you. Sometimes I ish I hadn't gone this far, I've been working on this truck since 2007, and havent drove it since then either. Do what you feel comfortable doing, and most importantly enjoy what your doing. I've torn this truck down so far that at times I've lost interest in getting work done on it, because I don't see light at the end of the tunnel. But that is me, not everyone feels the same once it's torn down.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
i'm thinking the same thing i've worked on a # of ford vehicles 1960 falcon was first so i'v seen these parts before did a lot of work on this truck in the late 80's
but now i'v got it to the point of taking the cab off
yea that is my next problem how to disconnect the sterring column?
no rag joint just a clamp
roy

Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Jacks 65
Junior User
Better to put up with some pain and swelling using over the counter meds than to use addictive prescription meds, they should be called brain medicine because all it does is trick your brain. You have to take more and more, they stop working, take even more. Not good. I lost my twin brother at age 39 to pain meds. I used them for when I had carpal tunnel surgery.
Sorry to hear about your brother, my sister is also struggling with issues of addiction to pain meds...thankfully I wasn't on them long!

Hopefully I will be able to get back to work on the truck soon

Quick Reply: Jacks 65 Build