Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, man!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good.
i read this last year and made one with clay FRX. good right up.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
could not rep you in jail.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Thanks, Matt... I really am pleased with how it turned out.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
next time you can use the SS braided lines. and it will be the last time you have to work on it.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Eventually I'd like to delete the bowl... someday. But yup, stainless and I've done it all! I'm surprised how well this rubber is holding up. Looks like new (minus the dirt) and show's no signs of cracking or splitting or rotting or anything. Not bad!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
i splurged and did the SS lines and love the look.

Attached Images   
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Man... oh well, someday. Nice, Matt!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snakedoc
i splurged and did the SS lines and love the look.
That's what I did with mine, the braided stainless hose and anodized AN fittings look great. If I had to do it over, and I have had to replace several of the fittings, I will use rubber hose. It's easier to find, don't need the AN fittings etc. I have found these fitting wear pretty quickly, could be the vibration from the diesel motor although in race/high performance applications would have the same. Could also be the ultra low sulfur diesel wearing at the seals in the fittings? Whatever the case, it's a pain to change them and if you are on the road, the AN fitting can be hard to find. I will re-do mine using MPT fittings and rubber hose in the future. I get tired of changing fittings. Not as pretty for sure, but reliability is becoming more important to me these days! It's also a heck of a lot cheaper! Anyone else have AN fittings leak after time?
Steve

Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Wow... interesting. Really? You know, if somebody wanted the look, then I'd go with the clampless system and use SS sleeves to protect the hose. No seals involved, looks good and is simple to put together. Hink, been awhile... that regulator served me well and I've been a long way with it. Gonna fix it and keep it for a spare... just gonna drill and tap the housing for a larger adjustment screw and I should be good to go.

FYI, Hink is the guy who gave me my first regulator...

Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Clean job John, looks awesome. If you dont mind, i'd like to throw caution to the wind. The bracket holding the regulator, did you fab it up or it come with it? Maybe me being ****, but vibrations' a *****-^&*%#, and if me, i'd either hard-face it at the bend or gusset it up, and probably then use some type of grommet/gasket between the brackets bolts and the alternator. Just throw'n out there, bud, hate to see it break and with fuel passing through, have an issue. Or the wall is enough (thickness of metal) but the pic gives it no justice.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:58 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
It's just a piece of 1" strap... 1/8" thick. I think it's aluminum? I don't know, all I know is it's what was left over from when we made my buddy a CB radio bracket. It's by no means nice as far as what I'd like to do, but I don't have the stuff I need to make it nicer. I might go with grommets, though. But yeah, it's not bad... I could hang several pounds on it, but I can bend it pretty easy so yeah. I'll try to figure out something better. The bowl is gonna go someday so I was going to build a block kinda like ITP's kits used to come with. Thanks for the tips, man! If you want to take my bracket and make it better or make a better one, you're more than welcome, I just couldn't make what I really wanted.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:06 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
John, i'm gonna be under the hood tomorrow. From your pics, it looks like the previous spot where the old regulator was, is now vacant. Just thinking real quik, i'll look to make a bracket stemming from the alternator to those bolt holes. Once i'm in there, maybe a better alternative, but right now, its whats coming to mind...

Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
If it were a piece of 1/4" steel, it wouldn't be so bad. The reason I moved it from where it was at is because the filter would hit the bracket when I tried to pull it out and it was a trick to get it in and out. What I would've done was ditched the regulator's bracket and used a piece of flat steel with the same form as the horizontal part of the regulator's bracket. That way, I wouldn't have had to go from a horizontal to a vertical plane with my bracket. I can get you a drawing of the bracket with the correct radii and dimensions if that would help...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Regulated Fuel Return