Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EMP proofing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I read through this and have a big "what's the point?" attitude. This is all on the assumption that after a society-changing event like a solar EMP strong enough to wipe out electronics in our robust 7.3Ls will leave us driving in a civilized world with biofuel. Newer electronics can be wiped out by waving a picture of a lightning bolt at it. A powerful solar EMP will leave hordes of well-armed people wheel-less and unable to collect food, water, shelter, and heat after a very short time. They will be looking to do whatever it takes to ensure the survival of them and theirs - the rule of law (and human decency) be damned.

If you are into disaster shows, you can see how well Tom Cruise and family fared with an EMP-spared minivan in the remake of "War of the Worlds". It takes power of some sort to acquire and process fuel after the first few sources on the shelf or in the tank have been exhausted. "Jericho" shows an example of dealing with this, but that series only scratched the surface of how dire "bad" can get. Walking Dead is more on target for predicting events in a post-7.3L-killing-EMP world. "Mad Max" notwithstanding... if you have a vehicle that survives an EMP (like the tractor in "Until the End of the World") your best play is to load everything survival-related and get the hell away from people. They will get you long before the elements do.

Saying all of that - I have contemplated this as a science experiment. I'm thinking a Faraday cage where you have a metallic mesh across all non-metallic gaps on the truck (including the windows), making sure there is electrical continuity between each piece. The radio antenna has to go, this is an electrical "leak" between the world and the electronics. Short of this extreme, the other extreme is to encase every wire and electrical/electronic device in mesh or braided sheathes - again making sure you have good electrical continuity with each piece. The whole point is to guard your workings from a voltage difference between one point and another that an EMP can create - effectively "shorting" it. No difference = no surge, no spike, and no spark.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting even further off topic... what would running heating oil do - if you had no other option to fuel?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave in Maine
... what would running heating oil do - if you had no other option to fuel?
It would run. Just watch out for zombie feds who might want to dip your tank...

Old 09-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by binuya
It would run. Just watch out for zombie feds who might want to dip your tank...
more like tax you for the fuel created....then dip the tank....

Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Jaime74656
more like tax you for the fuel created....then dip the tank....
The reason why they dip tanks is to check for dyed off road or untaxed heating oil.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:59 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by binuya
The reason why they dip tanks is to check for dyed off road or untaxed heating oil.
Ya, and that can get pretty expensive. Don't ask how I know that one.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:56 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Ive done extensive research into this topic. My final opinion is that due to automotive electrical systems being well insulated against electrical interference, a large majority of vehicles will stay in running order in an emp event. There was even a study done on this topic where multiple vehicles were exposed to emp. Worst case one of the vehicles died but was immediately restarted. All vehicles had check engine lights on but they ran and drove. The likelyhood of an emp powerful enough to absolutely gremade a vehicles electrical system are unlikely, and in the case it is your probably gonna die from all the beta and gamma your being bombarded with.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was the previous owner who must have used heating oil. I heat using wood. I swear.
A man-made EMP aimed more for DC/NYC might have minimal effects up here in Maine. A Carrington event, not so much. The first two weeks would be fine - we have enough food stashed in case of a major icestorm.

Might need my nice truck rifle if I'm the only one driving about... my PS90 that I bought for the 50 round magazine and bullpup design comes to mind.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Gatordog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dammit, Why did I sell my 1994 F-350 IDI with the ZF-5 speed, Crew cab, 4x4 lifted and yes the truck will run without batteries. It will not stop without battery power. It had a turbo upgrade and intercooler also.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatordog
Dammit, Why did I sell my 1994 F-350 IDI with the ZF-5 speed, Crew cab, 4x4 lifted and yes the truck will run without batteries. It will not stop without battery power. It had a turbo upgrade and intercooler also.
I still think about my 1983 6.9 with a T-19. No turbo either! As easy to work on as a lawn mower.

I wonder how many of us here started out with the early diesels? I have owned Cadillac, Ford, Mercedes and Ford in that order. Still have the Benz and the 02 Ford.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dave in Maine
It was the previous owner who must have used heating oil. I heat using wood. I swear.
A man-made EMP aimed more for DC/NYC might have minimal effects up here in Maine. A Carrington event, not so much. The first two weeks would be fine - we have enough food stashed in case of a major icestorm.

Might need my nice truck rifle if I'm the only one driving about... my PS90 that I bought for the 50 round magazine and bullpup design comes to mind.

I've got a decent amount of food and water. But no matter how bad it gets my family will never starve. I know how to distill water, and have 27000 gallons in the pool lol. Plenty of deer and turkeys and rabbits and squirrels in the woods around my house. In an eat or die situation I'm not afraid to eat possum or racoon but I'm not a fan. Heck I'll blow a blue Jay out of a tree and cook him up.

One of my best suggestions for people wanting alot of long term food for cheap is go to Sam's and buy a 50lb bag of rice. Rice goes a long way and has an extremely near indefinitely long shelf life. I put it in 5 gallon buckets w a lid and put it in my deep freeze. It will stay good nearly forever that way, plus keeps any bugs out of it. Hell the VC all but whipped us in Nam fueled mostly by rice.

Canned goods are good well beyond their expiration dates. Rule of thumb is if the can is not swelled up, the contents are good. I've been at this for years, I've eaten canned tuna that was 12 yrs old and it was still good. But rotating canned goods out is still advised.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by bigb56
Still have the Benz and the 02 Ford.
Same here. My first diesel was an '83 Benz 300D with the bomb proof 5 cylinder turbo diesel. Now I've got a '95 Benz with a 6 cylinder 24 valve NA diesel.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by lawdawg79
...buy a 50lb bag of rice....
Don't forget the jug of taco seasoning, powdered cheese and milk, seasoned salt, vegetable oil, etc.... No point in having gruel when you can have something spicy.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dcf4x4
Am I the only one who has considered this?
No, you are not. Standing by........
David