cam gear? newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
BulletProof300
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Removal Of Fiber Cam Gear - Read This!!

Yes you can remove the fiber cam gear without the special Ford tool. You must break the fiber gear apart to leave just the center bushing on the camshaft I used a dremel tool with a wood cutting disc. Be careful to cover up the exposed parts of the engine and the entrance to the oil pan because it gets messy. I used a dremel tool to avoid hammering on the gear so as not to damage the camshaft bearings. Don't use a hammer for anything pertaining to the camshaft. Once the bushing is exposed use a power steering pulley puller to grab the ridges on the bushing. Also, take a welding clamp and tighten it down on the two legs of the puller to give it extra bite. It should come right off. In order to replace the gear you will need a 7/16 course threaded bolt and a stack of washers. When removing or replacing the gear use the access holes in the gear, the 7/16" center bolt and ratchet and socket to keep it from turning. Be very gentle with the cam shaft.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 PM
BulletProof300
5th Wheeling
A few more things you'll need

Originally Posted by BulletProof300
Yes you can remove the fiber cam gear without the special Ford tool. You must break the fiber gear apart to leave just the center bushing on the camshaft I used a dremel tool with a wood cutting disc. Be careful to cover up the exposed parts of the engine and the entrance to the oil pan because it gets messy. I used a dremel tool to avoid hammering on the gear so as not to damage the camshaft bearings. Don't use a hammer for anything pertaining to the camshaft. Once the bushing is exposed use a power steering pulley puller to grab the ridges on the bushing. Also, take a welding clamp and tighten it down on the two legs of the puller to give it extra bite. It should come right off. In order to replace the gear you will need a 7/16 course threaded bolt and a stack of washers. When removing or replacing the gear use the access holes in the gear, the 7/16" center bolt and ratchet and socket to keep it from turning. Be very gentle with the cam shaft.
You will also need two 5/16" x 18 x 4" grade 8 bolts to use with your puller in order to remove the crankshaft gear behind the damper. Also, I would recommend that you buy a 5/8" x 2 1/2" fine threaded grade 8 bolt to use instead of the original 2" damper bolt. Sometimes the damper will not go on smoothly and you will need a longer bolt to get it moving or risk stripping the threads on the tip of the factory bolt.

Since you probably will not have the timing cover alignment tool you will have to put the gear on with the damper, pull the damper off, put the timing cover on loosely then put the damper all the way on, tighten the cover, remove the damper to get at the timing cover bolt behind the damper then put the damper back on. That's 3 times the damper will have to be put off and on.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:44 PM
Warriorking1980
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have to lift the engine

Originally Posted by kc8yhk
Thanks guys, I have been out on the road and haven't had a chance to even push the truck into my garage yet to get started. I ordered the new gears and they should be here Thursday and I should be home Friday to tear into it.

I will search for the write up, it would help a lot!
I just wanted to know if I to lift the engine off the truck frame alittle bit before taking the cam out

Old 08-25-2018, 10:58 PM
BulletProof300
5th Wheeling
You won't need to take the cam out at all. Having said that, DO NOT pry the cam gear off or hammer the new gear on since you can damage the camshaft bearings. You should use pullers for removal and the right bolt to push the new gear in place.

On youtube there are several videos from a guy named SteveAZ711 where he fixes timing gears on a 1987 300. You will learn that removal of the fiber cam gear requires a special puller that is no longer available. In the video the guy taps the fiber gear so he can use a puller. Instead of tapping the fiber gear and using a puller I cut the fiber off and used a type of power steering pulley puller and a welding clamp (to make it grip better) to remove the remaining bushing.

It's a challenge but the video explains everything well. Good Luck.