Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My camping trip pulling two trailers experience.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
My camping trip pulling two trailers experience.

Some of you asked to see pics of the rig. All went great! Only issue I noticed is some sway when being passed by semis or box vans. It was the same deal when pulling this camper with my old truck, I am pretty sure it is just the nature of pulling a big box. I didn't even notice the extra trailer behind the camper and really only seen it when making corners. It tracked the camper very well and would only step in about a foot extra over the camper when making right hand turns. The X performed above average in all categories! More power than I could ever use and averaged 11mpg @ 60mph. I only did 60mph all the way up and back because I didn't want to risk any sudden uncontrollable sway. Which also brings up a question about towing with the 7.3. Pulling anything over say 5000# do you guys use overdrive? I pulled with overdrive off and was running 2400rpm @ 60mph. I only tried over drive for a few miles at 60mph and it didn't feel right to me.

My pucker of the trip was after setting up camp I was walking past the truck and noticed some white on the pass. front tire. After closer inspection I discovered a cut in the sidewall about a 1/4" deep. So I changed it out with the brand new never used firestone steeltex spare. Which I must say was the most convenient tire change on the road I have ever done because of the layout ford used with the X. The rods and lug wrench were right there on the radiator and came out with just a snap. The jack was in the back inside of the truck and with two twists was out and ready to use. Being inside as well the spare tire was clean, no rust, and was very easy to remove! I am very happy with the whole setup and had the tire changed in about 20 minutes taking my time because I was on vacation after all.

On with a couple pics:

The X rides great!

MMMMMmm!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Looking at the first pic now it looks as though where the slit in the sidewall is there is a seam in the tire if you look very closely. I wonder if the sidewall is just separating on that seam on its own.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
The burgers and dogs look good!!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 PM
dadsexcursion
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Looking at the first pic now it looks as though where the slit in the sidewall is there is a seam in the tire if you look very closely. I wonder if the sidewall is just separating on that seam on its own.
Thats the first thing i noticed too. near the rim and the tread you can see a fant line in the rubber. that my friend is a defect. and if it was a cut while in motion it would be on and angle due to wheel turning.

good call Snow.

where were you towing? most states dont let you tow tandom unless the fprimary is a fifth wheel.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Wisconsin. All they want is your money for a piece of paper they call a "permit" and away you go. No inspections, says you can tow with any vehicle, just the second trailer in the train has to have brakes.

So you can pull a camper and boat with a geo and they won't hassle you at all.

Not only is it following a seam and strait up and down the 'cut' is also at an angle into the sidewall. At first I thought it may have been a cruel act by someone only because I found what looked like salt or sugar in the middle front of my hood and grill which I thought was weird. The salt/sugar was stuck to the hood and grill because it had rained. I have no idea how it would get there. It also made me worry if someone poured it in my gas tank like people did years ago.