Replacing the rear speakers in a 2010 Regular Cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the rear speakers in a 2010 Regular Cab

Has anyone replaced the rear speakers in a 2010 F150 regular cab? I only see one pin. I'm afraid to just yank the trim off. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Casey_78
Senior User
Yep, I just replaced the speakers in my 2010 reg cab. Here is how you do it:

1: Buy a hard plastic trim panel removal set. (harbor freight for $5)
2: Remove the step panel on the floor (says FORD and is covered by the door when closed)
3: Remove the Pop Tab from your first picture.
4: Remove the airbag panel from your last picture. There will be one screw inside it that you need to remove.
5: Remove the pull tab that allows you to move the seatbelt up and down. There will be a large star bit screw that you need to remove.
6: Go along the outside of the trim panel and start pulling straight out.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
In step 5, does that just pop off? Do I just pull on it?

Thanks for the help. I have two pairs of 6x8 speakers coming from Crutchfield. I can't wait to install them.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Casey_78
Senior User
Originally Posted by propellerhead
In step 5, does that just pop off? Do I just pull on it?

Thanks for the help. I have two pairs of 6x8 speakers coming from Crutchfield. I can't wait to install them.
I miss spoke, its not the tab that says pull, its the plastic piece below it. And yes, it will pull off.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
Cool. I bought the trim removing tool set today. I'm just waiting for the speakers and the weekend to come. Thanks again.

I will take pics as I go along and post them.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
Ok, here goes...

1. Remove the panel behind the door opener handle. Remove the bolt behind the panel.

I found this paint can opener to be the perfect tool. Just hook it and pull.

2. Remove the cap in the door handle pocket thing. Remove the bolt underneath.

3. Pry the window and lock control panel. Disconnect the electrics.

4. Remove two bolts along the bottom edge of the door trim. Pull up on the door trim. If you're doing the drivers side door and have power mirrors, disconnect the mirror adjustment **** electrics. The trim will still be held in by a cable that actuates the door latch. Rest the trim piece on a chair, or disconnect the cable.

5. Now that the speaker is accessible, remove four screws that hold the speaker in. Disconnect the connector behind it.

6. If you bought your speakers from Crutchfield.com, the include these factory compatible connectors. Attach them to the speaker and it's ready to hook up to the Ford connector.

7. Plug it in, do a quick test, then put everything back together. There was nothing special about reassembly, other than rotating the speaker so the connector is towards the front of the door. This keeps the speaker wire clear of the window glass lowering mechanism.

Last edited by propellerhead; 12-19-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added extra info in Step 7.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
On to the rear speakers... Remember this is for a regular cab.

1. Pry the door sill and remove it.

2. Pry off the cap to access the bolt holding the seat belt. Remove the bolt behind it. You'll need a Torx bit.

3. This thing that reads "AIRBAG", pry it off from the top. Remove the bolt behind it.

4. Remove the one and only trim pin.

5. At this point, you can start yanking the trim away from the body. Start at the top and work your way down until the speaker is accessible.

6. The speaker is attached to that spacer looking thing by four Torx screws. The screws are really soft so be careful not to strip the heads. There wasn't a lot of slack in the cable so don't just yank the speaker away from the spacer.

7. Fortunately, the wiring harness adds a little bit of cable length.

8. Alternatively, you can remove three bolts to detach the spacer & speaker together. This made it easier to replace the speaker since I did it outside the truck.

9. Give it a quick test and put everything back together again. That's all there is to it.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Very nice write-up!

Let us know how those Polks sound. They're on my short list. You are running them of the factory head correct?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Rugby3
Elder User
Very nice write up!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
Originally Posted by fz1dave
Let us know how those Polks sound. They're on my short list. You are running them of the factory head correct?
Using the factory radio, I can't tell much difference when listening to FM or Sirius. I guess the quality is not there. When listening to music on a USB drive, the highs are crisper and the lows are more solid.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM
5.0STX
Freshman User
Thanks you propeller head !

I changed my rear speakers yesterday and now a member to FTE . Your post was perfect,detailed and the pics were great.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:59 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
Wow! A blast from the past! I don't have the truck anymore and I haven't been posting or reading truck forums in years. The notification from this thread was a surprise. Now I feel nostalgic. I loved that truck.

I'm glad this thread helped you!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 PM
TremorGuy
4wd Low
I want to personally thank propellerhead for putting in the time and effort to show us how to remove these rear panels on a regular cab F150. I just bought a brand new 2014 Tremor and was not too excited about the idea of breaking something in the process up upgrading my speakers and adding a sub with a line output converter off the rear speaker harness. Thank you so much!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 PM
SloNEZ
New User
My thanks as well!!

Crutchfield doesn't show my 2011 Regular Cab as having rear speakers, so they were no help.
This set of instructions made it a piece of cake.
NOTE: that Torx screw holding the seatbelt on is a big sucker - takes a T-50 bit. Had to run to Menard's real quick to get one of those ... cost me $1.97 (probably could've gotten a whole set at Harbor Freight but they had just closed for the night).
Also broke the HF fiber trim removal tool while trying to remove the step plate - ended up using a regular metal pry bar for that.

Quick Reply: Replacing the rear speakers in a 2010 Regular Cab