1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Replacing ac with used compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:43 PM
redstang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing ac with used compressor

Hey guys, money is a little tight these days so I'm contemplating buying a used ac compressor from salvage. Bolting it on, pulling a vacuum and charging it.

The old one works but leaks at the shaft seal. It's self is re-manufactured and was replaced along with the drier and orifice about 8 yrs. ago.

Does this have any chance of lasting. Or is this a waste of time and money?

Thanks for your replies.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Used compressors are a real crapshoot. Shaft seal leaks, like yours, are very common. There's at least a 50/50 chance of the replacement being leaky too.
The shaft seals are available for replacement. Problem is, the seal usually fails due to bushing or shaft wear at the front of the compressor. Again, a 50/50 chance of success. Early seal failures in cheaper remans are also common as many rebuilders push the limits on the shaft/bushing specs.

If you can find a used compressor still attached to a charged system it would be worth a try, but I wouldn't trust one just sitting on a shelf.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 AM
redstang
New User
Thanks, I was hoping I might get off cheap.

I've seen several used compressors on ebay that say that they were removed from a working system. But I'm sure it's a crap shoot if you get a good one.

I would like to at least try and replace the seal but, the cost of the tools to make the repair makes it not worth it.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM
capnfred
New User
Stang, I go along with what was said by LSRX above, if you can find one on a charged system in a yard and they don't want to much for it go for it.... we have a yard here called you pullit, I got mine for $25.00, when I started to loosen the hoses from the compressor it started to leak gas, so I knew that it was still a tight system. That was over a year ago, and so far all is good.... got the evac pump and guages from Auto zone... and did what you suggest, pulled a vacuum and using the triple evac process, which is what you do when you open a system and resuse components.....added new oil, and charged it to the proper level.... the AC has never worked so good,, which is a good thing in SW Fla. Good luck, if you have any ? feel free to contact me.

Fred

Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the thing i would be terrified of is if the compressor looks clean, and you can spin it smoothly with your hand. but take it out on the highway and it shakes like a paintshaker, or simply just doesnt compress the refrigerant the way it is supposed to, or LEAKS!

but then again, dude said he god his for $25.
so even if you got burned, and had to repeat the process 4 times.......thats $100 bucks.

and it is a hell of alot less money than a new compressor!
the odds are definitely in your favor on this one...........its not an engine.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave

but then again, dude said he god his for $25.
so even if you got burned, and had to repeat the process 4 times.......thats $100 bucks.
Quite a bit more than that if even one compressor grenades and fills the system with shrapnel.The $25 compressor turns into a $300+ repair. (compressor, accumulator, system flush at least. possibly even a condenser)

Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ah yes the black death.
i agree with you. "buy it cheap buy it twice". or....."if you think its expensive hiring a proffessional wait till you see what it costs hiring an amatuer"
its along those lines...........
but,

a new compressor is $220-$260
isnt it standard practice to replace the acculator, orings, and flush the system anyways?
this would make it a catch 22. but only if he gets burned. theres gotta be cars sitting that are a basket case, but still have functioning a/c compressors on them.
if it were like my f100 with most of those components being located under the dash is a p.i.t.a. i've done it. but on a ranger with everything being in the engine bay, flushing the system wouldnt suck as bad. i have found that condensors are almost impossible to flush with the huge maze that they have inside them.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
ah yes the black death.
i agree with you. "buy it cheap buy it twice". or....."if you think its expensive hiring a proffessional wait till you see what it costs hiring an amatuer"
its along those lines...........
but,

a new compressor is $220-$260
isnt it standard practice to replace the acculator, orings, and flush the system anyways?
this would make it a catch 22. but only if he gets burned. theres gotta be cars sitting that are a basket case, but still have functioning a/c compressors on them.
if it were like my f100 with most of those components being located under the dash is a p.i.t.a. i've done it. but on a ranger with everything being in the engine bay, flushing the system wouldnt suck as bad. i have found that condensors are almost impossible to flush with the huge maze that they have inside them.
Yes, those things "should" always be replaced when opening an older system. It's just good practice. Many folks looking for a low buck DIY repair don't though, and often get away with it. I certainly don't recommend it.
However, if a used compressor grenades, all of that then becomes mandatory. (and then some, in most cases). It all comes down to willingness to take a chance, knowing that if it goes bad a "proper" repair will be even more expensive. "Ya rolls the dice, Ya takes your chances".

There are good, used compressors to be had. As I mentioned, look for one on a charged system. I won't put a used compressor on a customer vehicle, but it's a fairly safe option for a guy looking for a low buck repair.

You are absolutely correct about flushing condensers. Post 1993 (parallel flow) condensers cannot be reliably flushed after a compressor failure. This is especially true if doing it with flush solvent and compressed air.
There are specialized flushing machines that can do it in many cases, but it's still not really recommended. There's no way to verify that all of the contaminants are gone.
Condensers can be solvent flushed to remove old oil. You just need LOTS of compressed air. While they "can" be flushed in place, it's best to remove them from the vehicle so they can be held in different positions while flushing.

Usually, the only component in the dash is the evaporator. Those usually don't become badly contaminated and can be flushed in place. Again, you need LOTS of compressed air.
However, if an evaporator leaks, it can be a really sucky job to replace. Most of them are no fun at all.
For example, I recently did the evaporator in my sisters 2000 Chrysler 300M. The front seats, center console, front interior trim, steering column, instrument panel and AC suitcase all had to come out.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:45 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have used a lot of salvaged compressor both obtained locally and off of Ebay I have only had one with an issue and the guy replaced it. I just depends on what you are going to do. For $25.00 dollars you can replace it 10 times before you have spent more than a new one costs. If the system is working and just leaking then there is nothing wrong with your plan. Just remember you have to take care of your own warranty issues.