Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Leaking HPOP, 2003 F250 7.3l

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking HPOP, 2003 F250 7.3l

I too, have a leak coming from the HPOP. It's not coming from either line but rather from the "non-removable" plug on the lower driver's side part. I called and checked with Ford and that is a "You are fcuked part" $1000 for a new HPOP. There has to be a way to fix this as my finances are tight, due to truck issues last year with blown injector seals, ICP sensor, Wiring harness under the valve cover and of course, tires.

This is my only vehicle and I cannot have it down. So this weekend I need to get it repaired until I can get enough to buy a "reman" pump.

Can anybody help me with some directions on how to remove said HPOP and such? Thanks ever so much.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To add to what Greg posted Bob sells a repair kit as well. There is a pdf on this link: Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Well that you are ****ed part happens to cost around $30 plus shipping. Click the link for where to buy it. That page also has instructions on how to perform the repair. Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

The link Greg provided basically covers the same thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
PJ, welcome to FTE! You might know me better as RMKcowboy from BCR You can definitely fix that "non serviceable" plug pretty easily. What you should do though is send that pump and $100 to Joey at Terminator Engineering and have him modify it for you. After you repair the "Non serviceable" plug of course

Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Already have o-rings but it's not the HPOP lines that are leaking. Clean as a whistle. The leak is coming from the bottom side by the "non-removeable" plug. I can see where it comes out, hits the manifold and runs into the "valley" thence dripping down the rear of the motor and onto my floor.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
PJ, welcome to FTE! You might know me better as RMKcowboy from BCR You can definitely fix that "non serviceable" plug pretty easily. What you should do though is send that pump and $100 to Joey at Terminator Engineering and have him modify it for you. After you repair the "Non serviceable" plug of course
Small world eh? LOL. I would, except that I don't have a spare vehicle to drive meanwhile.

I've gotta get this fixed this weekend before I end up buying another $30 gallon of oil. Just to have it drip into my driveway.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superduty4x4, what is being modified for $100? I've looked at the site and never seen this advertised. I would consider it myself if it is say a rebuild for $100. I know that he does some work on 15* pumps to modify them vs purchasing a 17*. But i would be interested in finding out what the modification covers.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:03 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Superduty4x4, what is being modified for $100? I've looked at the site and never seen this advertised. I would consider it myself if it is say a rebuild for $100. I know that he does some work on 15* pumps to modify them vs purchasing a 17*. But i would be interested in finding out what the modification covers.
Joey won't disclose what he does to the pumps but he has many of them out there and there are very, very few complaints. He doesn't advertise them because he gets enough business from guys like me telling everyone about it that he spends most of his time modifying 17° pumps
PJ, take a 12 pack out to the garage and have a heart to heart with the truck. And threaten to kick her in the junk if she doesn't start behaving properly, that usually solves the problems for me

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PJ-Hunter
Already have o-rings but it's not the HPOP lines that are leaking. Clean as a whistle. The leak is coming from the bottom side by the "non-removeable" plug. I can see where it comes out, hits the manifold and runs into the "valley" thence dripping down the rear of the motor and onto my floor.
Click on the replacement o-rings link. It's a new plug and the parts needed to replace the non-serviceable plug. The name of the site is diesel o-rings.

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
It's a secret. Joey modifies the inside to perform better than a standard 17 deg pump. What he does is probably very simple, but since he's smart enough to have figured it out, he gets to make a little money off the rest of us.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I wasn't asking to determine if it was something I could do, I was just wondering if with my kind of miles this would be valuable or even how to go about getting it done by him. This seems extremely reasonable, but I dont know if I should just consider a new pump or have my current one "modified". If this was essentially a rebuild of sorts, I would love that price too.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Joey knows pumps. Shoot him an email and tell him what you're thinking. If he gets your pump and thinks you'd be better off with a new one I'm sure he'll tell you. Terminator Engineering

Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Joey won't disclose what he does to the pumps but he has many of them out there and there are very, very few complaints. He doesn't advertise them because he gets enough business from guys like me telling everyone about it that he spends most of his time modifying 17° pumps
PJ, take a 12 pack out to the garage and have a heart to heart with the truck. And threaten to kick her in the junk if she doesn't start behaving properly, that usually solves the problems for me
I should just lie about my income and get one of those new pretty 2011s. LOL

I'm in love with my 03, just tired of the little chit.

Where is this Joey Fellow located? Very interested but cannot have any down time as I don't have another vehicle and I drive 140 miles a day to work.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:10 PM
glen.myers
New User
I think Im having the same problem, but I cant find where the oil is coming from how do I make sure this is what is leaking? with the truck parked on incline the oil is running down the back of the motor when it on flat ground the valley fills with oil...Help please..

Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by glen.myers
I think Im having the same problem, but I cant find where the oil is coming from how do I make sure this is what is leaking? with the truck parked on incline the oil is running down the back of the motor when it on flat ground the valley fills with oil...Help please..
You've got to clean things up and then watch to see where the leak is coming from. A flashlight and inspection mirror come in handy. Also wrapping white rags around or under the possible leak sources can help to identify the problem. The other option would be put some UV dye in the oil and watch for the colored oil.

Once you identify which spot is leaking, it should be a simple fix.

Quick Reply: Leaking HPOP, 2003 F250 7.3l