Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

using ebay?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy
B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.
Latest e-mail from seller.

The tractor already at the shipping company in Valley City, Ohio sealed and ready to be shipped along with all the attachments. I'm very busy with my job so this is the reason I chose to sell my tractor over the internet. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. According with the eBay you have 5 days of inspection after you receive the tractor in which youy can take it to your mechanic. test it and decide if you want to keep it or not. Here is how it will work.
1.First I will need the following details from you
-Full Name
Full Shipping Address
2.After I will receive the details from you, I will forWARD THEM TO EbAY.
3.after they will process your info,They will send you the invoice.In the invoice you will receive the details of how to malke a refundable payment.
4.eBay will contact me and and release the shipping to you. After you receive the tractor you will have 5 days to test it, verify and do whatever you need to the tractor. If you decide to keep it, then I will receive payment from eBay.
5. If you decide you will not buy the tractor, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come down to pick up[ my tractor. Please get back to me ASAP if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBAy. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them. I look forward to hear from you
Best Regards.

I've tried to retype it just as it was sent.

She makes it sound almost fool proof if the eBay info is legit. I know that it is more than likely a scam. but what puzzles me is, where is the risk to me?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by B/B ford View Post
Latest e-mail from seller.

The tractor already at the shipping company in Valley City, Ohio sealed and ready to be shipped along with all the attachments. I'm very busy with my job so this is the reason I chose to sell my tractor over the internet. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. According with the eBay you have 5 days of inspection after you receive the tractor in which youy can take it to your mechanic. test it and decide if you want to keep it or not. Here is how it will work.
-Full Name
Full Shipping Address
2.After I will receive the details from you, I will forWARD THEM TO EbAY.
3.after they will process your info,They will send you the invoice.In the invoice you will receive the details of how to malke a refundable payment.
4.eBay will contact me and and release the shipping to you. After you receive the tractor you will have 5 days to test it, verify and do whatever you need to the tractor. If you decide to keep it, then I will receive payment from eBay.
5. If you decide you will not buy the tractor, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come down to pick up[ my tractor. Please get back to me ASAP if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBAy. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them. I look forward to hear from you
Best Regards.

I've tried to retype it just as it was sent.

She makes it sound almost fool proof if the eBay info is legit. I know that it is more than likely a scam. but what puzzles me is, where is the risk to me?

RUN, DON'T WALK, AWAY! JMO

Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Elder User
3414 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Already sealed? Is it being shipped by dedicated container? I know someone who is into some pretty rare tractors, and when moved, those are shipped on open or enclosed trailers, not containers.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Elder User
3414 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Another thought, just go to the Ebay site and ask them if they do deals such as this. If it is not legit, they might want to look into this themselves, as they like to protect their name and reputation.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
I'm sure there's a page on eBay that deal exactly with this type of deal.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by B/B ford View Post
-Full Name
Full Shipping Address

I know that it is more than likely a scam. but what puzzles me is, where is the risk to me?
It's a phishing scam looking for identities to steal. Once they have your name and address, it's easy to find other details about you. This is a well known scam, right up there with the Nigerian prince offering you a million dollars for your bank account info to sent it to.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy
I have asked for the name and contact info for the shipping company and told here I wanted to verify that they had the tractor ready to ship. Don't worry, I am not providing anymore personal details besides my initial contact through e-mail. Now it is curiosity that keeping me talking to her.

I appreciate all the warnings you guys have given me, and believe me, I am paying attention! I thought if I keep this up a little longer it might also be a heads up to the next guy.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:26 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
there is nothing more you can learn.. its all BS.. all just text typed on the page with no foundation in fact.. (I'm sure there were critical word misspellings as well, never mind I see them above).

the perpetrator is wasting YOUR time.. move on

sam

Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy
You are all right on! thanks and I am dropping it.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
I just wish there was a way to nab these AHOs. What they're doing might seem a little scam but they're able to scam the most gullible among us. My wife's aunt died a few years back and her 85 year old uncle moved back from CA to WI to be with family. He sold his house in CA and had more than enough from selling it to live comfortably here in WI for the rest of his life. When he got back here one of the first things he did was get his first computer. I suppose he was lonely and found a women half his age on the net. Most likely some hairy 30 something guy with a big gut but "she" convinced him to send her money for a bunch of reason using hard luck stories. She even arranged to meet him in different parts of the country but always had an excuse for why she had to cancel. He's the type of old guy that can tell you how to run your life but won't listen to any one else. Within two years she was able to drain him of all the money he and his wife had worked all their life for. He sold valuable collector items, his wife's jewelry and "she" even had him borrow money from relatives. The last I heard he has virtually alienated every relative by borrowing over $20K and has been evicted from two apartments and is now living on government assistance. This is a very true story, these scammers are not just a bunch of people scamming a few bucks here and there. They ruin lives. There is no punishment good enough for them.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Wayne

(1956 F100,street rodded )
But hey, what do I know? Uff Da!
Wayne

Listen to your self

Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by bobj49f2 View Post
I just wish there was a way to nab these AHOs. .... They ruin lives. There is no punishment good enough for them.
yes, it is heartbreaking the impact that these scams can have. It is very disappointing that we have not found a way to effectively capture and punish them...

Sam

Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm glad you dropped it-definitely a scam! EBay doesn't do escrow deals. I always tell these Bozos that I'll buy it, but my bank has to be the escrow agent. That's when they drop out. Unfortunately, since they have your e-mail address I bet you start getting a sharp rise in Nigerian scammers.