Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-50 F-1 Emergency Brake Setup

Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
48-50 F-1 Emergency Brake Setup

Some time back there was a post with pictures of the emergency brake setup and now I can't find it. I thought I had saved the pictures because now I need to reassemble mine and I have no idea how it goes together. I've been looking at it for three days now and still can't figure it out. Can someone help?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Is this what you need? Front is to the left

Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Thanks Ross. That's exactly what I needed.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
Will have the e-brake cable boots reproduced very soon . This is what they look like .

Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Jeez, what a PITA...not one of Ford's better ideas!

BTW, I purchased a new "reproduction" E-brake cable from Macs and it's considerably different from my old one and far from a bolt in. I can use it but there's no way the retaining bracket that bolts to the frame on the bottom of the passenger side will work with it. I'll have to fabricate something. Anybody else run into that? I wonder if there were more than one style E-brake cable for 48-50 trucks? On my original one, the bracket clamped on the cable housing but the new one is much larger in diameter and won't fit in the bracket plus it needs a clip of some kind (sort of like a brake hose clip) to hold it...

Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 PM
mclaughlinrp
Senior User
mclaughlinrp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes! I have run into the same thing. I even went so far as to buy another main cable from a different supplier because the picture was stock. It turned out to be the same black sheathed cable.

For now, I've left mine loose in the brackets on the rear and just pushed in as far as the flange on the front one. It works but is not right. My plan is to cut the flange off the main cable and make some sort of bushing for all three to make up the difference in size so the clamps will work.

I'm finding these kinds of issues with a lot of parts, most recently the floor seals not fitting around the column and pedals right, brake pads and speedometer cables with the wrong threads, a glove box spring without the proper bend in it and an exhaust crossover pipe that wouldn't clear the oil pan. Minor issues, but annoying nonetheless.

If anyone knows of a vendor who carries stock reproduction cables I would really appreciate the tip.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
You might try Antique Auto Supply, Arlington Texas. 1-817-275-2381. He has some alternate sources for many parts, and is great to deal with.

I think the source of the problem on these cables is that later model F-100's apparently have the exact same length cables, and used the same rear brakes, so someone decided they must be the same cables.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Being a rodder for so many years and making parts designed for another application work is normal and I expect some fabrication...but, dang it, when you buy something "reproduction" that's supposed to bolt in and you still have to fabricate brackets and things to make it work, it seems like wasted time...

Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Vern,
Your experience makes me glad that I cleaned up and can reuse the original cables. I had thought about changing from the stock ebrake mechanism-handle in the cab to a foot operated setup. I may just stay stock!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 49willard View Post
Vern,
Your experience makes me glad that I cleaned up and can reuse the original cables. I had thought about changing from the stock ebrake mechanism-handle in the cab to a foot operated setup. I may just stay stock!
Just for clarity here, we're talking about the cable that runs from the handle to that micky mouse bell crank contraption mounted to the crossmember behind the cab. I was also considering a non-stock E-brake but since all the original stuff was in such good shape (except the broken cable coming from the handle) I decided to go stock. Guess I should have gone wth my original plan...the dang cable was 50 bucks!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
Just for clarity here, we're talking about the cable that runs from the handle to that micky mouse bell crank contraption mounted to the crossmember behind the cab. I was also considering a non-stock E-brake but since all the original stuff was in such good shape (except the broken cable coming from the handle) I decided to go stock. Guess I should have gone wth my original plan...the dang cable was 50 bucks!
Vern
All of my cables are reuseable. The stock setup did work well back when Willard was my daily. Given that you need a cable going from the cab back to the bell crank mechaism. I would consider going with a foot operated setup.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
I thought you were talking about the two that go to the brake shoes.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I thought you were talking about the two that go to the brake shoes.
Those cables were in good shape and I'm using them with the Chevy 10 bolt.

Can someone remind me about the cable routing from the handle to the bell crank? I know it goes through the floor near the column and then over the transmission to the passenger side but I can't remember where that retaining bracket bolted to. Possibly the crossmember (which I removed to make room for my AOD)? It doesn't seem long enough to bolt to the right or bottom right frame rail.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 PM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.
Vern,

If memory serves, it bolted to the top of the transmission crossmember with two bolts. Can you make it stretch or add a bracket to bolt it to your new transmission crossmember?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
There was a retaining clip bolted to the upper right "Clutch Cover" (the ring closest to the transmission) bolt then back to the transmission crossmember as Joe stated.

There are some pictures and text in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...able-clip.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 48-50 F-1 Emergency Brake Setup

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.