1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Would a Mercury truck forum be useful?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
GOT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would a Mercury truck forum be useful?

The FTE forums are fantastic. In fact, every time I get on here to look up something about 60's Mercury trucks I end up miles away on some interesting other topic or two...so it occurred to me that it might be worth having a forum dedicated to Mercury trucks for us compulsive wanderers. As Mercury trucks have a much smaller history than Ford trucks, although in most ways are identical to them between 1946 and 1968, those of us who are primarily interested in Mercury truck information could post it and/or find it more quickly if there was such a forum - or if the info is not available then look for it in the equivalent Ford forum. Any thoughts on this?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 AM
brown79
Senior User
i doubt it would get many posts. the trucks are nearly identical and uncommon

Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree, the only differences in the trucks that I am aware of is the VINs and the Merc was built in Canada.

John

Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 AM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
and don't forget the badging!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:26 PM
jrohr
New User
65 Mercury Owner

I think it would be a great idea. I just acquired a '65 Mercury M100 and although the trucks are nearly identical to the Fords, I still like to find specific information on the Mercury's. It can be found, but it is kind of tough.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel that majority of the info needed for / with knowledge of Merc's will be posted on the current forums; To me beyond the emblems all else is the same! Oh sure I would love to have a Mer Truck; but not a found item in my area!

Is there any Merc chat forums on other web sites ?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
OldHarley
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, here is an interesting site aboot Mercury pickups, eh? (he said in his best Canadian accent)

Welcome to MercuryPickup

Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 AM
dank4120
More Turbo

Here's another one, but you have to scroll down pretty far to see any Slicks:

Winged Messenger - Mercury Trucks

I kinda like searching the threads for info, doesn't matter if it's Mercury or Ford. If ya keep "Mercury" in the Title or somewhere in the Thread, that specific info will be easier to find for the next person.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
F&M
Senior User
I have a 66 M100 and I can't really see the point.Beyond Badging and some other minor things it's a Ford.Although,I've had poeple almost wreck passing me after seeing that Mercury tailgate!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
masterqi
Senior User
1965 Mercury M100 pickup

Twenty thousand dollars!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I had the money to purchase one; I would just be different around my parts.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM
GOT
Junior User
Good points - the Mercury truck history is pretty much specific to Canada, although the trucks are also found in the states. So yes, a Mercury forum would be mostly helpful to Canadians looking for info about parts, or Mercury specific problems, or who may have or need info that could be more easily shared by us folks north of the 49th. Just an idea, but I think within the general population of Ford Truck Enthusiasts there's probably a small group of Mercury Truck Enthusiasts who could not only be helpful to each other, but could add a Canuck dimension to the overall Ford conversation. It would also be interesting to know where the Mercury trucks are in the USA, how they got there and something about their history on that side of the border. One thing's for sure: they won't be making any more of them, so the more info this forum can gather the better! Hope everybody's having a great summer.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:45 PM
dank4120
More Turbo

GOT: Wasn't jrohr's ride nice, a great example of a "Southern Mercury". Are you "safety'd" and on the road yet?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:23 PM
GOT
Junior User
I'm on the road, but waiting for a 65 Ford/Mercury Truck shop manual that I found on eBay ($50). I'm needing some pictures and descriptions of what things should look like and how they should work, or at least what that info was back in 1965 when I was just a wild colonial boy in Manitoba. Beyond that, as the truck didn't pass Aircare out here in Vancouver, I have a 3 month window to get some work done by a qualified technician. The maximum I have to show in receipts is $300, and I'm sure that could be racked up in a hurry, so if there's items I can deal with myself, maybe I can make that $300 go further...after the 3 months or preferably before, I have to try Aircare again. If I pass, then OK. If not, I can insure the truck for a year (a 'conditional' pass) but have to pass the next time or she's off the road for good. Aircare only deals with emissions; safety is another can of worms, but other than the looser-than-normal steering and the non-power brakes, I think she's pretty safe. Will get the expert's advice on that before I drive too much of course!
I'll let you know when the shop manual arrives, in case you don't have one and need any info.
Do you have any photos of your 33 Chevy posted anywhere? Guess it would be sacrilegious to post them on a Ford site! Worse than a virus...heh heh.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
GOT
Junior User
jrohr- nice truck! I'm jealous! And I'm curious about all the fly-speck stuff that you managed to get rid of with good old-fashioned elbow grease...what was it? Just dirt? And even more curious about the OKLA plates and the Saskatchewan mudflaps! If you get a chance, could you add some photos of the interior? I'm guessing it's all original and I'd sure like to see what it's supposed to look like.

Quick Reply: Would a Mercury truck forum be useful?