1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Would a Mercury truck forum be useful?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 AM
dank4120
More Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOT:

I have a "1965 Ford Truck Shop Manuals" on CD, it's a 3 volume set. I haven't looked it over much, assumed it would cover anything on my Mercury too?

Wow, Aircare emissions tests, I had no idea? I'm glad I'm in a small town!

You can find my '33 on flikr:

1933 Chevrolet Truck - a set on Flickr

I found an old thread last night where I can probably post a couple of pics without getting into trouble, we'll see I guess.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 AM
GOT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's probably the same manual in CD format - saw those as well, might be good to have a set as back up. Yeah, Aircare seemed like a real nuisance when it came in, but we use to have these yellowish smog clouds that would hang over Vancouver and get pushed up the Fraser Valley, especially in the summer when it doesn't rain much. It was REALLY obvious when you got up high and looked down on the city - looked like hell actually. Anyway, most of that is gone now, and for all the hassle it can be, I think it's been a good idea.
I'll check out your Chevy photos. Great sleuthing on that radio, by the way! Had to chuckle over a few comments...I was wondering if the F-9 number on the one radio, and the F-8 on the second one you found would in any way refer to a Ford connection.
Also came across an ad on Kijiji (Calgary) from a Ford/Mercury dealer in Ponteix SK that had shut down in 1980 and had all this parts inventory from as far back as the '50's that they wanted to sell - had been sitting in storage for 30 years! The deal is buy the whole thing, no parting it out, also no price posted...I sent them an email, will see if I can get more info. Or enter the search term 'mercury' on the Calgary Kijiji site, it should show up.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:30 PM
GOT
Junior User
dank4120 -I took a look at your '33 truck that dares not speak its name - what a beauty! Good stuff.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 AM
65MercShorty
Junior User
Hey Guys, what are these pics of jrohr's Merc all about? Where do I see them?

My 65 is finally running and being driven again. Ditched the 300 and 3sp for a 351W and TL 4speed.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 AM
dank4120
More Turbo

65MercShorty:

Here's his album: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - jrohr's Album: '65 Mercury

Glad you're back on the road!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 AM
65MercShorty
Junior User
Oh, cool. Thanks for that. See, I wouldn't mind having a Mercury Forum or page because I'd like to just be able to come check on it. I know for the technical side of things, they are basicly identical to an F100, but there's enough there that I care about, which doesn't make me one of the guys who just sees them as badges and tailgates.

by the way, my Merc Shop manual is titled 1965 Ford and Mercury Trucks and has all the Merc data plate codes in there as well as the Ford ones. Kind of cool.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:29 AM
dank4120
More Turbo

Nice, I didn't know that a '65 Ford/Merc Truck Shop Manual was even out there? Is it a book(s) or on CD? I don't suppose it has a picture of my Canadian Pushbutton AM radio? I'm still trying to find some documentation on it?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 AM
65MercShorty
Junior User
Mine is a book and it's old. The only thing it says about radios is that there is "one radio receiver (Philips) is supplied for trucks." And then it tells how to remove and install it, etc, like a normal Ford shop manual.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM
GOT
Junior User
The shop manual I'm waiting for from eBay is a book, about an inch thick I think. I've also seen the same manual in three books, i.e. volumes 1 to 3, possibly breaking the trucks down into weight categories - be more useful that way in a busy shop I guess. That may also be the origins of the 3 CD set. There's a seller on eBay who specializes in auto literature such as sales brochures, manuals, etc. I'll find his/her name and get back to you Dan. I seem to recall there was a brochure for 65 Mercury trucks - I'll see if it's still there at the same time - might have some info on the radio.
65MercShorty, I covet that tailgate in your photo, even if the colours are reversed from what I need! 351W with a 4speed, eh? That should get you down the road. Regarding your comment about a Mercury forum, are you north or south of the border? Can't make out that licence plate. Not that it matters, I'm just curious about where the trucks are. Also, there's probably some feature in these forums that could link users according to a specific interest, Mercury trucks for example. Yup, they are uncommon, which is why I like them!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
F&M
Senior User
GOT:My 66 M100 is pretty much bone stock.I'd be able to take some pics for ya if that'll help as I'm gonna take a buttload for my own reference.And as for the emissions I've heard that running some alcohol in yer tank will make it test much cleaner.Don't hold me to it,but, i've just heard that.And it makes some sense to me anyway.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
F&M
Senior User
jrorh: that's one fine lookin truck.What a find! I'm leaning to red and white for mine as well.Congrats.And welcome

Old 08-01-2010, 12:46 PM
dank4120
More Turbo

GOT:

Yeah, I purchased the "1965 Mercury Light Duty Pickups Sales Brochure CDN" from "Ken McGee Auto Literature" via ebay, a while back, but no pics of my Philips Pushbutton radio!

Hey, thanks for the comments on my '33. That was about a 20 year build, 1 year to take it apart, 19 to put is all back together! It's a family truck too, belonged to Grandpa's older brother! My Dad traded some horse and buggy stuff for it, and we promised not to "hot rod" it. I hope my Mercury won't take as long. With the Internet and FTE and all the info that's available at our fingertips, it shouldn't.

Still want a tailgate? This one is really close, PM me if you want me to try to get a better pic for ya! She's a bit rusty in the left corner, can't really remember the condition of the rest of it. I saw no tailgates on that last trip to Saskatchewan, all had been taken.

Don't know if both Mercury emblems are on it or not? Are you looking for M100 or M250 emblems? Have you decoded your Warranty Plate yet?

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM
65MercShorty
Junior User
GOT, I'm with you on why I like 'em too. I like scarce things that have a "look". Nothing like seeing a "MERCURY" tailgate on the road, like I did at age 13 and said to myself "Wow, a Mercury TRUCK!" (2nd toy car at age 3 was a '60 Merc Parklane promo).
The manual I have is very thick. About 2.25"
I do have a spare tailgate ....for a '67-'68 however. Supposed to get another today if the guy actually makes it down here. I'm in San Jose, CA. My M100 has been in the San Francisco south bay area since the mid or early 70s. Has California blue/yellow plates on it. It is still very very rusty. I bought it from my local Mercury Dealer, Joe Kerley LM in 2005. An elderly man(whose son brought it in from CN)(and who was one of the first people to witness Nuclear Fusion at Stanford in the 40s) brought it in and donated it to the dealership as he could no longer driver. Dealer had never seen one. Some clues to it's history in CN exist tho: There's an inspection sticker with a land mass shape on it in my windshield. Will try to photo it and maybe a Northern friend could ID where this truck is from. Also had a metal dealer tag on the left cowl by the hood at one time, but it's long gone.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:51 PM
65MercShorty
Junior User
You guys have the build tag on the passenger side cowl under the hood too? I'll go take some pics of my rig as she is today for you all to see. I like this thread. No Grumpys allowed!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:20 PM
dank4120
More Turbo

65MercShorty: Here's mine:

BTW, sorry I didn't get back to you on the '66 Mercury, I saw your message after it had already sold! Still mad I didn't get it, but it's probably for the best. Gonna stick with my '65, look for '65 doner parts, maybe convert it to a Tu-Tone Custom Cab someday!

Quick Reply: Would a Mercury truck forum be useful?