330 FT oil leak please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM
sdtrucking
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 330 FT oil leak please help

I have a 1966 f600 with 330FT.Last year I replaced the intake gasket because it was leaking in the in rear . Then after I ran it for awhile, it started to leak in the front around the distrubutor. I pulled the intake and replaced it AGAIN! Made sure the distrubutor was centered in the intake and put it back together. It is still leaking. Now I think it is coming from the timing chain cover.It is tough to to see where the oil is coming from . Could this be possible? The motor never leaked in the front before I changed the intake gasket. It is frustrating! Any suggestions ? Thank you!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Was the motor off, put dye in the oil, get a blacklight and see where it's coming from.

Did you use cork, rubber, or just RTV on the intake?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had an oil leak around my distributor. Seemed like the channel for the seal was cut too deep (Mallory Dist). I wrapped a piece of thick gasket paper around the dist...under the seal, and no more leaks. As this didn't happen to you before, maybe you just need a new dist seal.

Krewat may be on the right track with the manifold end sealing. The oil may be coming from there and dripping down, then being blown back by air movement....fan, fwd speed, etc., around the distributor and fooling you about where the leak is coming from.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Intakes can be a real bugger to get to not leak, many folk have gone to RTV instead of gaskets.

You put a nice bead down and wait till it skins over pretty good before setting the intake with a cherry picker.

guluk

John

Old 07-08-2010, 09:30 PM
sdtrucking
New User
Question 330 oil leak

Originally Posted by jowilker
Intakes can be a real bugger to get to not leak, many folk have gone to RTV instead of gaskets.

You put a nice bead down and wait till it skins over pretty good before setting the intake with a cherry picker.

guluk

John
John,
Hi, you seem very know alot about the ford fe/ft.I want to pick your brain for a minute. I have 1966 ford f600 dump with a 330 with a 160000 mi. on it. About 70000mi ago a guy put new rings and bearings in it because it was fouling a coupleof the plugs.He did a in frame. Now when I run it hard I get blow by out of the breather . It doesnt seem to be smokin out the exhaust or fouling the plugs. I did a compression test last year. I was getting around 120 psi per cylinder.Other than wishing it had more power,the oil leak it and the blowby it runs good.I put about 3500 mi year on it delivering topsoil and stone, i love the truck. Would you have this motor rebuilt again,or put a 361 or 391 in it for more power [if going through the hassle of rebuiling] it or leave well enough alone and deal with the blow by. How much if any blowby was normal in these trucks? What weight oil would you run? Would you remove the govenor to more out of it? Any tricks you know to help get more power out of the motor. Thank you Steve

Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Steve I am no engine builder and don't play one on TV, there are many more qualified to help here.

IMHO, if you have around 120 psi on all bores the engine should be in good shape.

Have you inspected the pcv or are you running one on the truck? That is the first thing that popped in my mind. The drivers side valve cover should have a vented filler cap with the passenger side hosting the pcv. A hose connected to the carb base sweeping the engine and burning the gasses.

On the other hand if the ol boy is working his arce off, keep gas in the tank, oil in the crank case, 50/50 mix in the radiator, and deposits going to the checking account.

Finding and building a bigga betta mota is always a good winter time project. You can build it and pull yours at swap time, keeping the truck running as long as possible.

A better qualified suggestion may be coming shortly. Stay tuned.

John

Old 07-09-2010, 06:41 AM
sdtrucking
New User
John,
Thanks for the quick response. Yea I'm running a pcv and a vented oil cap on the drivers side. I have changed the pcv and the hose. I have even tried the Envalve that claims to elminate bowby.When I tried that the engine idle real high and I got more blowby even out of the dipstick. So i put the pcv back in and not as much blowby. I emailed Envalve they thought i had a vacum leak or a hole in the piston. I do not know the engine runs and idles good . Thanks again, Steve

Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
When you get the blowby, try this: Cover the exhaust tailpipe with your hand. If the blowby increases a LOT - you just might have an intake gasket leak for the exhaust crossover under the intake, or the crossover rotted through and is leaking into the crankcase.

Also, do a compression check and report back the results.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
sdtrucking
New User
I covered the exhaust tail pipe. Didn't get increase in blowby.But I only get blow by when I push it. Are you suppose to do a compreesion test with motor at operating tempature? I did a compression test every cylinder was the same 115 psi. Is this too low or good? The plugs Looked Great! No oil or gas residue. The motor does have a velocity governor on it and that is what the pcv is hooked to.
Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
115 on a 330 is rather impressive. I'm at a loss...

Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Excessive blowby sometimes can't be handled by the PCV system, but if blow-by isn't excessive, then one could assume the PCV system has degraded.

PCV valves can get crudded up and stop working (yes, I know you changed yours, so that can be ruled out.....er.... if it's an inline one with barbed ends, maybe check and make sure it isn't installed 180 degrees out).

The air vent on the valve cover can also plug up during the time a PCV valve is plugged and blow-by forces gunk back out the valve cover breather, so you may want to remove the valve cover breather and see if the blow-by decreases.

For an older engine, maybe the connection at the carb is plugged up. Not sure which system you have, but often there is a plate sandwiched between the carb and the intake manifold that has a tube extending out of it for the PCV hose. If that tube gets clogged internally from years of handling engine blow-by crap, then blow-by will try to find another way out.

It might be wise to double check your igntion timing. Advanced timing can increase engine vacuum and it might do so to the point the PCV remains closed at low-load, off-idle rpms instead of opening and sucking the crankcase clean.

I'm a little surprised that everyone thinks 115 psi is good for a 330. I have no experience with that engine, but 115 psi seems low to me for any engine. I would have thought 140 to 160 would be more typical. If that's the case, perhaps you just may have more blow-by than the PCV system can handle.