1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What did the PO do right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 48F1 is my most recent purchase. And the PO was the 2nd owner. And he had it for decades. He only used it for local short hauls, but it got rough use as a wood choppers truck and was stored in a wet forest for decades apparantly. I'll bet it doesn't have 70Kmiles on it, BUT! let me tell ya--wow--can things rust bad when they're stored in the northwest in a grassy forested area. Its all there, but it has "serious" patina lol. One would think that such a low mileage truck would be in great shape, but it had a hard life. Its not great but doable. He was a young guy 18 or 19 when he got it, and was also a student at the local JC in automotive repair. He got hold of a 312y block and rebuilt it during his class work and put it in with an aftermarket adapter to the OEM 4speed crash box. And in the process--being he was a kid-weren't we all. He removed the front inner fender panels so as to easily run some big collector type aftermarket competition headers etc. And in the process threw away or lost the sheet metal. Along that line he also ditched the factory bench seat for some sort of Chevy bucket seats etc that I thought were horrible. More young ideas lol. Because he didn't worry much about how to do this he just kinda jury rigged the whole thing to somehow stay together without the front inner fender panels--a tilt hood would have been better. Anyway I found replacement panels and some aftermarket shorty headers for a new exhaust etc.I stay in contact with him. He's always been helpful. He's a stand up guy. And I enjoy staying in tough via email with him.

Along this line I also bought a "really" rough 49F1 six from him and two trucks--wife was helping him become more minimal lol-was more than I needed so I sold it to a young immigrant guy from Russia. Just a couple towns over from me. He's doing some really cool stuff with it--If I'd been younger and stronger-I would have kept it. I'm his PO. We stay in touch and he sends me photos of his progress and asks me a question now and then. I'm hoping he'll someday join us.

Tom