1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Texting/Cell Phone Rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Texting/Cell Phone Rant

Rant ON:

OK, so I picked my trailer up today to prepare to go after a truck this weekend. I stopped at a 4-way stop and proceeded through when it was my turn. Some 17-year-old twit pulled up, waited for my truck to clear the intersection, and promptly t-boned my brand friggin' new trailer. Apparently he was engrossed in sending a text message and neglected to notice that there was a trailer behind my truck. The right fender is torn off, the right rear wheel is badly bent, The rear axle is bent, and the spring perch is broken. His momma's stupid Camry is a mess too.

It ought to be illegal to text behind the wheel ANYWHERE. How in God's name can you possibly drive while staring into your lap?!? In my dim view of the universe, the law should state that the punishment for causing an accident while texting or talking on a cell phone is to allow the party that you collided with to insert your cell phone into the bodily orifice on your person of their choice without the benefit of any sort of lubricant.

Rant OFF.

Have a nice day!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well that sucks.

Thought it was illegal country wide to text and drive... I mean you can't read a book and drive legally right? ... yet I've seen that... in town...

Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
As of the 1st of July texting while driving will be illegal in Wisconsin where I live. It's amazing anyone would think it's a good idea to text while driving. I don't quite understand the whole texting thing anyways. My whole family has cell phones, when we signed up I had the company block texting and internet access. I see no use for texting other than a person who has to go into a meeting and is waiting for information and doesn't want to disturb the proceedings. Other than that I figure voice mail is the answer.

One more thing about pulling a trailer and people not using they heads. I've had this happen a couple of times. I just come out of the gas station after paying for my purchase, I start my truck, with the trailer attached, and some yahoo walks between my trailer and truck. Luckily, I always check my mirrors before moving and I just noticed them or else they'd be under my trailer. Some people just don't think.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Texting and Cell phone use withouth a hands free device is illegal in California, and has been since last July 1. Now if we could just get the cops to enforce it, we'd all be a lot safer.

Everyone here is still texting and yacking away and all over the road.

What really gripes me is when someone next to me in a gas station is standing there pumping gas and yacking on the phone. That is SO DANGEROUS - STUPID PEOPLE!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 AM
51merc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rant continues

Last summer I was tboned by a 21 year old gal who was texting while driving and I was riding my motorcycle! She just simply turned left with no signal, no indication, no nothing and simply ran me over. Her car crushed my left leg, i went up off her windshield and got really good air and landed on my back. While lying there, waiting for the paramedics, she comes over and says how sorry she is and that she didn't see me. It wasn't until later when the cops told me she was on her phone. Nothing like having 4 months of work to get frusterated with the whole talking, texting thing. Hope it gets banned everywhere.
Rick

Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That sucks! My personal favorite when towing my trailer is when people try to beat me on a merge, like on a freeway. The other one is when I'm passing them as they merge, they seem to always want to change into my lane as soon as I pass, without checking that it's safe first. I've had more than my share of near mishaps when the merger driver didn't check to bother their blindspot.

Other drivers are the reason why I have collision (and comprehensive) coverage on my trailer.

You might be buying yourself a new trailer before you even had a chance to use the one you already have.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
That really sucks.

Here in British Columbia it has been illegal to talk or text for the last couple of months. Getting caught is something like a $138.00 fine.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is illegal here in illinois , and you cannot be on the cell in a school zone irregardless of time of the day or year , and in a construction zone . i have gotten to the point where i turn mine off as noone seems to get that even though it may not seem like i'm doing anything behind the wheel of a truck , i am actually quite busy and preoccupied . it's just a freaking distraction we don't need , and teens and some other demographic groups should not be allowed to have them with them in the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Texting is illegal next door in Vermont and New Hampshire is working on such a law. It should be illegal everywhere...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,923 Likes on 1,871 Posts
I think nationwide the DOT just banned truck drivers from texting while driving. Here in New Mexico it comes down the individual cities to ban cell phones/texting while driving. I know that Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Las Cruces have all banned cell phones while driving (except hands free)

What chaps my hiney about this whole cell phone thing is how people are complete and total slaves to the danged things. It doesn't matter what the person is doing or who they are talking to, when their little phones start chirping and buzzing they focus all of their attention on it. You can't have a one on one conversation with anyone anymore...if their phone rings you are automatically relegated to 2nd priority.

OK, I'm done now
Boby

Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
Originally Posted by 51merc
Last summer I was tboned by a 21 year old gal who was texting while driving and I was riding my motorcycle! She just simply turned left with no signal, no indication, no nothing and simply ran me over. Her car crushed my left leg, i went up off her windshield and got really good air and landed on my back. While lying there, waiting for the paramedics, she comes over and says how sorry she is and that she didn't see me. It wasn't until later when the cops told me she was on her phone. Nothing like having 4 months of work to get frusterated with the whole talking, texting thing. Hope it gets banned everywhere.
Rick
It scares me to death to ride my bike around in town, these freakin' kids with their phones can't put the damn things down for a minute. I hope your leg is OK?? and your back?

What I don't get, is the cops are using their damn computers while driving, AND using their radio. I mean, how can it be safe for them to be looking at their computer, and talking on a mike? If they need the computer, they need a 2-man car with the passenger working it.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,923 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It scares me to death to ride my bike around in town, these freakin' kids with their phones can't put the damn things down for a minute.
Ross,

I had a close call last week on the way to work in the morning. There were 2 of us on bikes in the left hand lane going across the Alameda bridge, the bike in front of me passed the truck in the right hand lane, as I pulled along side the truck (the drive was texting) he started coming over into my lane, looking at the phone and not the mirrors. I was able to jump on the brakes and get slowed down before he creamed me.

You want to stay alive on a motorcyle?
1st, don't EVER daydream (complacency kills)
2nd, watch everybody, front, left, right, behind, 1/2 mile ahead, etc...ALL the time.
3rd, always have an escape route
4th, don't ride like the kids on the crotch rockets

Man, am I ever preachy today....lol

Bobby

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It scares me to death to ride my bike around in town, these freakin' kids with their phones can't put the damn things down for a minute. I hope your leg is OK?? and your back?

What I don't get, is the cops are using their damn computers while driving, AND using their radio. I mean, how can it be safe for them to be looking at their computer, and talking on a mike? If they need the computer, they need a 2-man car with the passenger working it.
as for the police issue.. yeh, we the public seem unwilling to pay for the additional personnel, UNTIL there is some personal emotional event..

Sam

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
We have added fun here. Some great thinker in our state capitol thought it was a great idea to replace all major intersections with round abouts. Fans or not of these goofy things, no one is used to them around here and I've come into them quite a few times and have almost got clobbered by some one on a cell phone not paying attention and not checking traffic before entering.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Zip
That really sucks. Here in British Columbia it has been illegal to talk or text for the last couple of months. Getting caught is something like a $138.00 fine.
Doesn’t seem to do much good, …………..still see lots drivin’ and talkin’.

Quick Reply: Texting/Cell Phone Rant