Retractable Running Board problem - Page 6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Retractable Running Board problem

Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 PM
restrole
New User
restrole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by vipersinu2 View Post
I have fixed my deployable power running board. Here is how

Step 1. Remove the running board from truck, 4 13mm nuts and 2 13mm bolts unplug wiring.

Step 2. Remove motor cover. 2 small torque screws.

Step 3. Spray lubricant behind the circuit board to lubricate transmission.

Step 4. On rear of the hinge there is an 8mm bolt remove it and knock out aluminum wedge. Remember which way it comes out. That wedge is a keyway that makes the board move with the motor shaft.

Step 5. With the wedge removed, spray all the moving joints with lubricant and work the hinges up and down, until everything moves freely. Working the lubricant into all the joints.

Step 6. Install wedge back into place; install motor cover back on to motor. ( Make sure that the rear bearing is aligned to accept the motor shaft. you might have to wiggle it back and forth to seat the cover. Plug in wiring harness and try it out, then install it back on truck.

Very simple and easy to fix. It probably will take you less that 1 hour. I will post pictures this week when I do the other side. The side that I repaired deploys up and down twice as the other side now.

Front two nuts and one bolt

Rear two nuts and one bolt

[IMG][/IMG]
unplug wiring

[IMG][/IMG]
off truck

[IMG][/IMG]
lay something soft down so no scratches

[IMG][/IMG]
plastic sheild screws

[IMG][/IMG]
motor cover screws

[IMG][/IMG]
pull off motor cover

[IMG][/IMG]
spin shaft untill it stops, wedge bolt will be accessible

[IMG][/IMG]
remove wedge bolt

[IMG][/IMG]
pop out wedge from back side

[IMG][/IMG]
wedge

[IMG][/IMG]
this is motor shaft, note black square will make mark on wedge

[IMG][/IMG]
note mark on wedge for reintallation

[IMG][/IMG]
spray lubricant on all moving parts

[IMG][/IMG]
step on board and work up and down spraying lubricant in all joints untill moving freely

[IMG][/IMG]
spray lubricant in transmission

[IMG][/IMG]
spray electricial cleaner inside motor cover

[IMG][/IMG]
spray electricial cleaner on shaft

[IMG][/IMG]
inspect that the brushes are still good

[IMG][/IMG]
apply small amount of grease to back bearing in motor cover, use something plastic to apply grease.

[IMG][/IMG]
work bearing so it moves freely

[IMG][/IMG]
insert motor cover, you might have to wiggle it back and forth

[IMG][/IMG]
motor cover screwed in place

[IMG][/IMG]
insert wegde in place

[IMG][/IMG]
flip board over and insert wedge screw and tighten down

[IMG][/IMG]
install plastic sheild screws

[IMG][/IMG]
bring board back over to truck and plug in electric wiring and test board. reinstall all four nuts and two bolts securing board back to truck

[IMG][/IMG]
deployed

[IMG][/IMG]
board retracted, your all done saving 1600.00 bucks
Your instructions and pictures were very good. I checked the brushes, they are bad. How do I replace them?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:22 PM
restrole
New User
replace brushes in running board motor

How do I replace the brushes in a f150 power running board motor?

Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 AM
nags#88
New User
nags#88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found some good advice on runningboardmotor.com

Old 07-18-2017, 04:54 PM
restrole
New User
Thanks for the tip, but they don't tell h0w to replace the brushes.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Bob Keeler
New User
Bob Keeler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rebuild and rebushing

I run a small shop in st Thomas Ontario and I rebuild these running boards no motor work though
depending on the amount of rust or damage to the pins anywhere from $500 to $1000 max for the set

Old 11-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Suprteacher
New User
Suprteacher is starting off with a positive reputation.
HI Bob-
I'm curious as to what I would need to replace if the retractable running board on my drivers side of my 2013 F-150 Limited is delayed 15 seconds. This happened when I unplugged the battery to change batteries. Now the passenger side works like normal, but the drivers side is delayed. I think the problem is with the module, but not sure where that is or what to replace. Any ideas??

Thanks for the response.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM
heberta5785
New User
heberta5785 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to replace running board motor??

I have a 2010 Expedition EL Limited. I know I should be posting in the 2007 and up thread, but this thread describes exactly the issue I am having. I have the same problem everyone has posted on this string. Running board goes down, but won't retract back up without help. I followed along with the picture instructions to remove the running board (fantastic job btw to the person who did that). The running board motor is shot, so I know that is my issue with the running board not retracting as it used to.

My problem now tho is that I can't figure out how to remove the motor from the hinge. I already have the replacement motor in my possession. Not the full $800+ Dorman motor assembly with the hinge already attached. I have just the motor, which was only $250 from this site> Running Board Motor

I just can't physically dislodge the old motor from the hinge. I have removed all of the bolts but the shaft running through the hinges just doesn't seem like it wants to budge.

Any insight? Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM
restrole
New User
running board moter removel

You didn't say if you removed the wedge, after removing all bolts and the wedge spray it with penetrating oil. Then you need to use a hammer and a punch to to drive the shaft out of the hinge.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 AM
heberta5785
New User
heberta5785 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by restrole View Post
You didn't say if you removed the wedge, after removing all bolts and the wedge spray it with penetrating oil. Then you need to use a hammer and a punch to to drive the shaft out of the hinge.
Yes, the wedge bolt was removed. the issue is that the shaft itself kind of mushroom capped and can't be pushed out with a hammer and punch. In trying to do just that, the hinge ended up snapping.

Now I'm on the look out for a hinge assembly that i can get from a junk yard.

Thanks for the response.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 AM
restrole
New User
Oh, sorry about that. I had better luck. I don't think Ford wants us taking them apart and fixing them.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 PM
mxer0022
Postmaster
mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So i was having problems with my running boards. Got the driver side off and tried spinning the armature to extend it and that thing is locked up solid. The armature will rock back and forth but the gear box won't budge. Anyone know how I can break them loose? I can't tell if it's in the gear box or the hinges. Need to some how separate them but the problem is the hinge is in the retracted position so I can't get at the wedge lock on the back and I can't get at bolts for the motor.

any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:51 PM
afritche
New User
afritche is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey. I've got a 2010 Expedition Limited as well. Did you ever figure out how to get the motor off of the hinge? I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out how to get it off.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:59 PM
mxer0022
Postmaster
mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by afritche View Post
Hey. I've got a 2010 Expedition Limited as well. Did you ever figure out how to get the motor off of the hinge? I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out how to get it off.
no I didnt figure it out. Our problem was on an '08 escalade ESV but looking through the pictures on here they are identical as the expys with the exception of the board itself. Never did figure out how to remove the motor so we took the next logical step and traded the hunk of junk in on a '16 limited expy with fixed running boards. Lol with all the salt used on the roads here in northern Utah I didnt wanna have to worry about that problem again.