1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Lemon LAw

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 08:49 PM
hersheys247
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemon LAw

hi
i had my drivers side door repaired at a ford dealership because of an accident...... i had to return the car 4 times in order for them to fix the problem right... would this be considered under the lemon law, and if so, how long do i have to make a claim......

sam

Old 02-06-2002, 06:57 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Lemon LAw

The "Lemon Law" to which you refer is series of laws written to protect the consumer in the event of his/her purchase of a vehical with defects in the materials, workmanship, design and manufacture. As such these are most often used in cases were a manufacturer's service representitive is unable to, through remedy or repair, satisfy the consumer. You would have to have an on going paper trail with the factory rep to have a chance.

That being said this sounds more like a body shop botch job NOT A MANUFACTURERS DEFECT.

I think this is one that you want the factory rep to hear about as it will inspire him to contact the offending dealership to set them straight. There is nothing like a little pressure from above to get them hopping. Just get all your facts together and let him know that you would like to be able to continue your relationship with FORD as an owner when it's time to replace your current vehical but with representation like this in the already crowded marketplace it would be hard.

You may also contact your local better business bureau / consumer protection agency / local TV news "On Your Side" editor with your saga, at least the next guy would be forwarned.

Good Luck in your dealings

Petrol
99 XLT 5.4L

Old 02-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Boxter
Junior User
Lemon LAw

I would have to agree with the above post that since this is not a manufacturer issue but a body shop issue, the Lemon Law might not apply.

Some things to keep in mind with regards to the Lemon Law:

1) (Varies with each state) There has to be four occurrences of the same problem occurring and still not fixed (within 2 years or 24k miles)

2) Has to have 2 occurrences of the same problem occurring and still not fixed with a safety related item (within 2 years or 24k miles).

3) The dealer must have had the vehicle in the shop for 30 days.

You have to meet at least one of the three "tests" to even be considered.

As well, if your vehicle is declared a lemon, that does not mean that you get a new truck to replace the one you had. The manufacturer is only responsible for the ACV (Actual Cash Value) of the vehicle at the time it is declares a lemon. If you have your vehicle financed, or on a lease, many times this will leave you upside down in the deal (you owe more than the ACV of the truck). In order to get a new one, you have to pay off the difference, or roll that into your new truck (increasing the monthly payment).

The lemon law sounds great, but after doing a little research (and having to go through the process), it is not as great as it sounds.

Boxter

Old 02-06-2002, 01:57 PM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Lemon LAw

Look at the thread "Accelerates on its own". An owner their executed the lemon law on her Expy... and got screwed. She stated had she known how the lemon law works with Ford (laws vary in each state... but they also vary with the manufacturers on how the refund happens) she would have never executed it.

It sounds like you are better off ($$ wise) to just trade it in.

Old 02-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Project
New User
Lemon LAw