Sponsored by: Moser

Bed removal; how hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Donkey punch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed removal; how hard is it?

I found a CHERRY bed in pick and pull today, completely rust free and dent free, so I'm gonna buy it. But I gotta take the old one off first. How hard is it and what should I look for?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remove 6 bolts, fuel filler tubes, and tail light harnesses. That and about 4 guys to help lift it off. Not bad at all.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
30over
Senior User
I've did this before but it has been awhile. The way I did it was by taking an offset grinder with the edge of the wheel and just zip the heads off the carriage type bolts and let them fall out below. If there the originals, they'll be rusty and just spin if you try to take them out with a wrench from the bottom.

You'll have to unhook the fuel fill tube from the tank, the tail lights which will unplug. That should be it.

When reinstalling what I did was got some regular hex headed bolts, I think 1/2" x 4 1/2 or 5 maybe, maybe longer, "you'll know when you get that far", with new nuts and flat washers. So, if you ever have to take it off again, you can just have someone hold the under side with a wrench, then you can just spin them off from up top with an air wrench.

While your into the bed business, it is an ideal time to put in a new gas tank and sending unit if you need one because your right there at it. Old gas tanks are usually rusty inside and can stop up a fuel pump in a hurry. Hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM
30over
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rockstone
Remove 6 bolts, fuel filler tubes, and tail light harnesses. That and about 4 guys to help lift it off. Not bad at all.
I like that avatar chick. She is really hot.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately she's a cartoon. lol

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
Yep, I haven't gotten one bed off yet without having to grind down at least one carriage head. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 PM
sfeverall
Junior User
The side marker lights disconnect from the tailights.Dont try and pull the wiring through with the tailight wiring.Mine was really easy only one bolt needed to be cut and I was lucky enough to use the overhead crane at work so it was a one man job.And remove all the bulbs in the light sockets it easier than dealing with accidently smashed ones.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sfeverall
The side marker lights disconnect from the tailights.Dont try and pull the wiring through with the tailight wiring.Mine was really easy only one bolt needed to be cut and I was lucky enough to use the overhead crane at work so it was a one man job.And remove all the bulbs in the light sockets it easier than dealing with accidently smashed ones.
The bed electrical harness disconnects from the frame harness by the driver's side frame rail and crossmember. No need to take out any wiring or lights or anything.

Josh

Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
bed

unless you need to reuse the tail light harness and the sockets for the new bed. usually the pick and pull places, they've all been cannibalized, so i'd remove any old parts from your bed that you might even consider reusing. and yeah i had to use a grinder on one of the bolts when i got my bed, the very front left side bolt was the most difficult, and had to end up cutting it off with a grinder. also be sure to take some PB Blaster with you squirt it on the bolts and let it sit a while. where you from by the way?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Donkey punch
New User
Thanks for all the info guys it's surely been a help! I'm from Virginia beach,, VA

Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I zipped all the heads off mine, not a one of them even looked worth sizing up a wrench and getting under the truck. I used a small grinder. Then I used a punch and a hammer to knock them out to the bottom side. The beds don't weigh much, I took mine off by myself and set it on a table, I've moved a couple of them around myself. They are really akward though, and when they do come crashing down they tend to injure. Lol. I have a huge nasty scar from where one fell on my arm a few months ago.

I think mine had 8 bolts. 6 in the bed floor and 2 off to the sides up by the header panel. When all the bolts are out the bed will slide and move easily, so if it doesn't, make sure you didn't miss any. Sounds like a silly thing to say but someone had painted my bed with a thick layer of house paint and I didn't see the 2 by the header panel.