1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Need to covert to 134, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
gotjeepzj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to covert to 134, have a few questions

The PO said he put 134 in the system, but didn't change the fittings or anything else. He used on of those old filler's for R-12, the kind that punctured the side of the can. According to Autozone, I can rent all the tools needed to fully convert. How hard of a job is this? Or is it easier to leave up to the pro's, and how much would that run? The a/c works now, but it's not very cold.

It is a single cab, and I live near Houston, so summer's here are usually in the triple digits.

Last edited by gotjeepzj; 05-26-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,395 Posts
Just buy a conversion kit from Walmart or one of the parts stores, that has the gauge, the adapters, and the 134a. Install the adapter, follow the instructions, and put some 134a in the system. You probably don't need it all since it's already been converted and still blows some cool air.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Franklin is spot on. I did this 10 years ago on my 80 F150, and the A/C has never had any problems with the 134a, aside from the compressor seal that originally leaked out all the R12 that was once inside. Add about 1 can a year, and keep my cool all summer.
For the record, even the older york compressor can safely be used with these conversion kits, as that's what mine has. Dealer added A/C....

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is some reading for you. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7413795 I am in New Orleans and it is blistering already. My A/c cools the truck quickly. I usually ride with the a/c on medium or low. Tinting my windows helped also.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 AM
gotjeepzj
Senior User
River Ridge is by Harahan isn't it? I used to live that way as well.

I read that article and it talks about changing orfice tubes and pressure switches. That's why I asked if it was something I should do or pay a pro. I'm pretty inclined mechanically, but haven't ever really messed with an a/c system

Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 AM
first today
Postmaster

It is super simple. When you get done, you will wonder why you waited so long. Yes, I am next to Harahan.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM
f100jim
Elder User
I did my '82 with the kit from Walmart. Make sure you add the oil. The oil used with R12 does not disperse in R134 - it will not move around the system, and you will end up burning up the compressor quickly. IIRC, the kit from Walmart had 2 large cans of R134 and a smaller can of R134/oil. I think I bought an extra can of R134/oil and added both cans.

If you do it "correctly" you would flush the system with a solvent that remove all of the old oil, would replace the dryer, would change the expansion valve, etc. I pumped mine down, then charged with R134 and oil, nothing else. It will freeze you out of the cab on high.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by first today
Here is some reading for you. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7413795 I am in New Orleans and it is blistering already. My A/c cools the truck quickly. I usually ride with the a/c on medium or low. Tinting my windows helped also.
Glad to see that's working out for you still.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
first today
Postmaster

Archion, you know your stuff. I am in that truck everyday and very thankful to have a/c. I never had it before and do not want to go back to that needless suffering.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,395 Posts
The refrigeration guys that do this for a living like to make things complicated, since it's how they make their living. I can't fault them for that. And their theories make sense. But in reality, just putting the 134a in the system will work. I do recommend you put a vacuum on the system. That will get all the old r12 out, and any air and moisture in the system. Air and moisture will prevent it from working very well. You can buy a cheap vacuum pump at harbor freight and pull a vacuum on it. Then just put the r134a in the system, and it will cool well, no o-rings, special orifice valve, or anything else required. The stuff at Walmart has a seal conditioner that will help stop most leaks in the system, and it does already contain the proper oil already in the can. If you find you have a major leak or problem, the 134a is cheap enough to where you can repair the system, pull a vacuum on it again, and put more 134a in the system.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Or you can use an old refrigerator pump ... They make awesome vac pumps.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Now I have to fix mine, the 24 yr old compressor clutch bearing finally gave up. Gotta get that fixed before Carlise... Luckily it's not my primary vehicle. As far as just putting 134 in, yes it will work, I have done it myself before, hell I have even mixed them. The question is, how well do you WANT it to work. That is where the tweaks and tricks come in. If you have to open the system, always replace the accumulator/Drier, think of it as a sponge.
Never thought about the fridge pump...lol

Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it ain't perfect, it ain't right!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Archion
Now I have to fix mine, the 24 yr old compressor clutch bearing finally gave up. Gotta get that fixed before Carlise... Luckily it's not my primary vehicle. As far as just putting 134 in, yes it will work, I have done it myself before, hell I have even mixed them. The question is, how well do you WANT it to work. That is where the tweaks and tricks come in. If you have to open the system, always replace the accumulator/Drier, think of it as a sponge.
Can you change the clutch assembly without changing the whole compressor?
<O</O
I did this on an 89 dodge as I didn’t want to break open the system.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 PM
gotjeepzj
Senior User
Originally Posted by Archion

Is that the black vertical metal cylinder shaped thingy close to the firewall? If so, the PO changed that and it's pretty new.

Quick Reply: Need to covert to 134, have a few questions