1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary wobble after turning...what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDTriton250
Do the 4X4's have an idler arm? Sounds like what a 4X2 does when the idler arm bushings are bad. Any up and down play by hand is bad. Just as a possibility.
there is no up and down play, but some time during the summer I am doing all U joints, it really couldn't hurt

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Efftreefitty
New User
Great description, "wheels can't pick a direction".

I have a 2005 350 and had the exact problem you experienced. It happened after turning and at slower speeds than the traditional death wobble. It was also intermittent and not easily reproduced. The tierods had been worked on before I bought the truck and I replaced a ball joint, which made it more exaggerated. I thought I had a death wobble so I had a local guy install his version of the WC Motorsports fix. So far so good.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Efftreefitty
Great description, "wheels can't pick a direction".

I have a 2005 350 and had the exact problem you experienced. It happened after turning and at slower speeds than the traditional death wobble. It was also intermittent and not easily reproduced. The tierods had been worked on before I bought the truck and I replaced a ball joint, which made it more exaggerated. I thought I had a death wobble so I had a local guy install his version of the WC Motorsports fix. So far so good.
Yes, it is very hard to show anyone what is going on because it only happens every once in a while, but I am scared to do anything fun with the truck because of it

Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
jello
Senior User
Did you check your axle u-joints yet? I couldn't move the u-joint once I pulled the axle out. It also broke a few plastic pieces of the hub it was seized so bad.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
strokeNsmoke
6th Gear
I have a 03 f-350 7.3, when i would turn hard right or left my truck would do the same thing. the steering wheel would go back and forth and the front would wobble bad like a gyroscope and i would have to stop then it would be fine until another hard turn with a bump later on. I replaced the steering box, ball joints, new steering damper, raked out front with 5 1/2 positive caster and thought this fixed it, NOPE. I checked my axle joints when i did the ball joints and they seemed fine they werent loose or binding so i put them back in but i did not replace trac bar bushings. SO which is it and could a worn out drag link joints at the tie rod bar and the pitman arm cause this? Or better yet what worked to fix this issue. Thanks

Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
jello
Senior User
My truck just started to do this again. This time the axle u-joint on the other side was seized. Replaced it and now everything is good again.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM
strokeNsmoke
6th Gear
I did notice the other day that my right side axle u joint would not rotate all the way around it would almost do a 360 then stop, my other joint i could spin around with ease. So i greased my Ujoint and noticed only 2 caps would spit out grease so i locked the hubs in and drove around then re greased it and now 3 caps take grease. Yes I did have the axles out and they did move freeley and with no slop but that was by hand and not under a load on the truck. Maybe I got lucky and am going to ge that joint to break free.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RippedF350
when I turn my wheel to the right, it seems like the steering has to catch up, and then over compensate by steering way to far to the right or the left, depending on what direction I turn the wheel, Usually this happens
HELP!!!!
I was trying to look on my truck for you but the coupler area is covered.

What you said above reminds me of something that happened to me years ago.

It was on my old Toyota 4x4. For a few days while driving, It would do as your describing after i made a turn. I would turn the wheel and it seemed the steering was slow to act and had to catch up. This went on for a few days. Then it got worse. Seemed i could almost turn the wheel 1/2 turn then it would turn. I checked everything....

So i thought....

I stopped driving it.. On the way to have it looked at it finally broke.

What had happened, Was the coupler ( rag ) that connects the steering rod to the box had ripped apart on one side. And as i would turn, it would twist the coupler around until it could twist no more then turn the wheel and unwind, Making the truck over correct.
The long bolts on the coupler would work by binding on each other to hold the wheels straight until you turned and the coupler had to flex.

I don't know what they are made of, but its kinda like a tire tread/cord

It finally ripped apart on the other side and I lost total steering.
Luckily, I was going about 10 mph.

I don't know if our trucks use this type of coupler ?
If so. it worth looking at

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...nd/coupler.png