Scary wobble after turning...what is it? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Scary wobble after turning...what is it?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
RippedF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.

After I take any type of hard right turn, my wheels seem to not be able to pick a direction, when I turn my wheel to the right, it seems like the steering has to catch up, and then over compensate by steering way to far to the right or the left, depending on what direction I turn the wheel, Usually this happens to me after applying a little bit of power into a right turn. after I stop, usually it stops too.

I just replaced the tie rod, and the ball joints are all fine.

Is this the "Death Wobble" I have been hearing about in the later models?

HELP!!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
BareBones is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nope. "Death Wobble" is on 2005+ models and anyway, doesn't really match your symptom description. You just have failed steering/suspension components. However the power steering on a diesel is different than my gasser so I won't speculate.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
I just recently experienced this. It deteriorated over a couple months to the point I was afraid to drive the truck. Take a GOOD look at your front U-joints. Took me a while to find the problem because they didn't fail in the way I thought they would. They had no play, but they were intermittently binding. Taking a turn rolls their position slightly, even if the front hubs are out, which is why the problem recurrs after a turn.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
I just recently experienced this. It deteriorated over a couple months to the point I was afraid to drive the truck. Take a GOOD look at your front U-joints. Took me a while to find the problem because they didn't fail in the way I thought they would. They had no play, but they were intermittently binding. Taking a turn rolls their position slightly, even if the front hubs are out, which is why the problem recurrs after a turn.
so this even happens when the hubs are not locked? because I know my U joints are somewhat old, but they are still okay. I need to wait for work to slow down to replace them.

Do you think this is the problem?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 AM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RippedF350 View Post
so this even happens when the hubs are not locked? because I know my U joints are somewhat old, but they are still okay. I need to wait for work to slow down to replace them.

I didn't believe it either at first. Neither did the guys at the garage I go to.

Park the truck with the wheels turned hard, hubs out and the transfer case in 2wd. You should be able to reach under and spin the front axle at each U-joint. You might be able to feel the bind as the joint rolls over.

At least it is worth spraying some penetrating oil on them to lube them up a bit.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
SteveBricks
***** Emeritus
SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation

I just replaced the tie rod
Did you have the front end aligned afterward? The toe-in may not be correct.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
Did you have the front end aligned afterward? The toe-in may not be correct.
I did, and it seemed fine for a while, but they may have done it wrong, I had Mr. Tire do it for me.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:04 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Yep, it just happened again. Felt like the Wheels were going in different directions. WTF? It just kept going from side to side with the slightest movement of the wheel

Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 AM
cartmanea
Post Fiend
cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Probably a combination of worn out trac bar bushings and sloppy steering box. You can replace the bushings and you can also tighten the steering gear if it's not too worn.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
I'm willing to bet it's a combination of binding (bad) u-joints and the needle bearings locking to the axle stub (or the hubs are staying locked).

Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
langballs
Junior User
langballs is starting off with a positive reputation.
With regards to adjusting the steering box, my '99 behaved like yours AFTER I tightened up the steering box. Maybe the shop you took it to tightened it up too much. Just a thought.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM
RippedF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by langballs View Post
With regards to adjusting the steering box, my '99 behaved like yours AFTER I tightened up the steering box. Maybe the shop you took it to tightened it up too much. Just a thought.
That is a possiblilty, I need to take it to a dealer, I just don't feel like forking out the cash.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
jello
Senior User
jello is starting off with a positive reputation.

Yes. My truck was doing this and I found one binding u-joint. Turn wheels slightly, and with hubs unlocked and t-case in 2wd try to spin u-joints by hand. You will see which one it is because it won't turn.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
99powerstrokedF250
Senior User
99powerstrokedF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
U-joints go bad. Even greaseable ones. and they don't usually get sloppy like driveshafts, they lock up. And cause exactly what you are noticing. I'd check those out before anything else.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:27 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
SDTriton250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDTriton250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do the 4X4's have an idler arm? Sounds like what a 4X2 does when the idler arm bushings are bad. Any up and down play by hand is bad. Just as a possibility.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scary wobble after turning...what is it?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.