6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Front End Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:47 AM
RoofDude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Help

Im experiencing a front end issue. Thought I'd pick some brains here before I got deep into it.

My issue started, & has maintained itself at low speed, usually when turning. It will pull to the side, rather hard. Then at times, pull the other way. When it first started, I thought I had worn brakes, cause it felt like a stuck caliper. Brakes were/are great & no problems there.

I've read on the "death wobble" & my symptoms sound different. Not saying it isn't that, just when reading up on it, most seem to experience shaking, if not violent shaking, & usually at speed. My issue usually happens at low speed, typically right at, or after a low speed turn.

There isn't any shaking, or violent shuttering, just the wheel pulling to one side or the other. It will usually correct itself in a short distance. When it first happened, I came to a complete stop, & it quit. This is not a all the time thing either. It didn't come up with bumps, pot holes or anything like that, it usually occurs at low speed, coming out of a turn.

I'm about to dig into my front end, & start looking for issues, & attempt to repair this. Was hoping somebody has experienced similar issue, & might have some advice, or information to lead me in the right direction.

thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:27 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
When I experienced what you describe on my '95 and my '03 Power strokes it was a hub that wouldn't unlock.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:33 PM
fatboytx
Senior User
You didn't say how many miles were on it or anything. First thing to do is to jack it up and start shaking stuff to see what if anything is loose. You may not even have to jack it up if its that bad. I've never seen a stuck hub but its good advice. Just go through it looking for worn joints, e.g. tie rod ends, ball joints. How much play in your steering? After you jack it up, grab your tire/wheel at 12:00 o'clock and 6:00 o'clock and feel for play in ball joints.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 AM
RoofDude
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatboytx
You didn't say how many miles were on it or anything. First thing to do is to jack it up and start shaking stuff to see what if anything is loose. You may not even have to jack it up if its that bad. I've never seen a stuck hub but its good advice. Just go through it looking for worn joints, e.g. tie rod ends, ball joints. How much play in your steering? After you jack it up, grab your tire/wheel at 12:00 o'clock and 6:00 o'clock and feel for play in ball joints.

190k fatboy.

Everything feels tight without jacking it up. I'll jack it later today & recheck. As far as play in the steering wheel... yeah there's some. Not what I would consider a lot but, there is some. It has loosened up in the last few months for sure.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:52 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Id check for a stuck hub as stated above or I personally have had an almost exact issue with a frozen U joint in the front on my 78 Bronco.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Check the track bar bushing. Easiest way to check it is look at the bushing and have someone move the steering wheel.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:53 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a frozen U-joint. Jack it up and lock the hub. Rotate the wheel so the u-joint is facing straight up and down like a + sign. Try to turn left or right. If it turns it's not froze, then rotate the wheel 45 degree to get the other two caps up and down and try again. If it is completely froze you won't be able to turn it by hand. Try both sides. If they are somewhat froze you can turn it, but it might be much harder. Sometimes you just have to pull the shafts and check them.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 AM
RoofDude
Senior User
Originally Posted by dlibson
This is a frozen U-joint. Jack it up and lock the hub. Rotate the wheel so the u-joint is facing straight up and down like a + sign. Try to turn left or right. If it turns it's not froze, then rotate the wheel 45 degree to get the other two caps up and down and try again. If it is completely froze you won't be able to turn it by hand. Try both sides. If they are somewhat froze you can turn it, but it might be much harder. Sometimes you just have to pull the shafts and check them.

Winner.

That's what it was. Wasn't totally frozen. I'd say..... slightly. Which would explain, why it wasn't an all the time occurrence. Some grease & it's been smooth sailing since.