Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your Timing settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:22 PM
uhoh826
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricky B
I assume you did this with the SPouT connector out?.........
Spout connector. Huh? Yea i made sure i removed it and remembered where i put and actually remembered to put it back in. That stupid little jumper should be 10 times it's size with a flasher on it.
I bought the truck and it started hard and ran like crap. I noticed it had a new diz and thanks to you guys i checked timing first. -6 and it ran horribly. Set it at 10 deg. and it ran fine so i decided to bump it up to 12. Has run fine at 12 but i wanted to play around with a vac gauge so i bumped it to 14 deg. and idle came up to 800 from 750 and vac went to 20" from 19. Anything above 14 degrees and my idle starts to shoot up to high. I also have an old msd5 box and blaster ss coil with the plug gap opened a little. I'm not sure if that helps anything? I don't think they're the strongest ignition pieces but they were laying around.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:01 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I just did the 6litre mod last week (minus the timing advance), I noticed a big loss in low end power. I regapped the plugs to .052 instead of .055 to see if the gap would help. I thought maybe the gap was intended for copper plugs and was too much for the platinums. I haven't got to test it yet because after reducing the gap I forgot to put my drain plug in before adding new oil during my change.

Now I'm waiting for my dear old mom to get done with my dads car (her's is getting body work done), so I can drive the 20 minutes to buy more oil. Talk about a rough weekend.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Ricky B
Senior User
Originally Posted by skyfox10
I just did the 6litre mod last week (minus the timing advance), (problem #1) I noticed a big loss in low end power. I regapped the plugs to .052 instead of .055 (problem #2)to see if the gap would help. I thought maybe the gap was intended for copper plugs (it is) and was too much for the platinums. (do not use these) I haven't got to test it yet because after reducing the gap I forgot to put my drain plug in before adding new oil during my change.

Now I'm waiting for my dear old mom to get done with my dads car (her's is getting body work done), so I can drive the 20 minutes to buy more oil. Talk about a rough weekend.
Check out my notes above.......

Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
If I was buying new plugs, I would go with copper. I just didn't want to replace plugs there were only a year old. I do plan on doing the timing advance, I just wanted to verify that the truck still ran ok, before changing something else, that way I have an idea where the problem is.

If the .055 gap is to wide for a platinum plug, then why would reducing the gap be a bad thing?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Ricky B
Senior User
If I was buying new plugs, I would go with copper. I just didn't want to replace plugs there were only a year old. I do plan on doing the timing advance, I just wanted to verify that the truck still ran ok, before changing something else, that way I have an idea where the problem is.

If the .055 gap is to wide for a platinum plug, then why would reducing the gap be a bad thing?
Jfc, they're just spark plugs...it's not like you're replacing the tranny or a wife or anything...

As far as platinum plugs go, they're not only overpriced and perhaps gimmicky, but seem like they don't do crap for our small block Ford engines, which is why most folks stick with the $1.09 Autolites or Motorcrafts. If'n I was you I'd just stick to the basics on the 6LTU, follow the method to a T and use the parts they recommend. If you only go half-a$$ed, then you will be both disappointed and losing money ( lower fuel economy). Remember, there's no such thing as being sorta pregnant....

Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM
diehardfordtruck
Junior User
Ricky B will this 6 liter tune up work with obd II I have a 96 with a 5.8 in it and 15% mileage increase would be nice

Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Ricky B
Senior User
Originally Posted by diehardfordtruck
Ricky B will this 6 liter tune up work with obd II I have a 96 with a 5.8 in it and 15% mileage increase would be nice

Ouch, that one I do not know for sure DieHard. Let me see if I can dig into the huge thread over at FSB later tonight and find out for you...........

Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I don't think OBDII would make any difference. Mine is also a 96 5.8 with OBDII and mass air.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ricky B
Jfc, they're just spark plugs...it's not like you're replacing the tranny or a wife or anything...

As far as platinum plugs go, they're not only overpriced and perhaps gimmicky, but seem like they don't do crap for our small block Ford engines, which is why most folks stick with the $1.09 Autolites or Motorcrafts. If'n I was you I'd just stick to the basics on the 6LTU, follow the method to a T and use the parts they recommend. If you only go half-a$$ed, then you will be both disappointed and losing money ( lower fuel economy). Remember, there's no such thing as being sorta pregnant....
FullSizeBronco.com - 78 - 96 Ford Bronco offroad club, forums, tech, installs

In that thread, the author kept is motorcraft platinums. I'm sure he's not the only person to do that. I'm not sure you can not stick to the basics on this mod, the whole thing is fairly basic. Maybe your not the type, to make a few adjustments, and see what sticks. As for me, I'll play with my plug & gap combo a bit.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Ricky B
Senior User
FullSizeBronco.com - 78 - 96 Ford Bronco offroad club, forums, tech, installs

In that thread, the author kept is motorcraft platinums. I'm sure he's not the only person to do that. I'm not sure you can not stick to the basics on this mod, the whole thing is fairly basic. Maybe your not the type, to make a few adjustments, and see what sticks. As for me, I'll play with my plug & gap combo a bit.
Did you read the entire thread? All of it? You do realize, doncha, that not only is that thread 4 years old, but we're now up to almost 73 pages and 1,432 posts? So can you tell me exactly which post # Sewiv comes back and tells us months later that says he's sticking with the Platinums? Or which post # is the one that explains to all the new kidz why the MotorCraft or Autolite coppers are the best plugs to use on the 6LTU, instead of all the fancy ones out there?

I'm grilling a Balinese pork roast right now, so I'll be here all night........

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM
quickie70
New User
I run 13-14 with my 460/zf F350. I haven't done the 6 liter mod yet, just bumped the timing and did a tuneup with stock stuff, and it already runs way better.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Well, mr ricky. I suppose I cannot say that I read through that entire thread. I will concede defeat on this matter. I have read a few more pages in, and am still working further through the thread.

While no totally thrilled with your methods. I get the point and will be replacing the plugs this week.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Ricky B
Senior User
Well, mr ricky. I suppose I cannot say that I read through that entire thread. I will concede defeat on this matter. I have read a few more pages in, and am still working further through the thread.

While no totally thrilled with your methods. I get the point and will be replacing the plugs this week.
No worries, mate,just jerking your lettuce a bit. But in all seriousness I joined up over there a couple of years ago when I decided to get the Bronco back up and running after sitting since '05. A better forum for these trucks does not exist and if it weren't for them I probably could not have solved a zillion problems that we had. But after getting the B back on the road I checked out that thread about page 50-ish and read everything in it---everything. Then I ordered my parts and did the 6LTU. It truly was one of the best investments I have done on any of my ex-27 vehicles in the last 35 years. The wealth and breadth of knowledge on that forum is amazing and the Rok Starz there rally know their crap....and is why I listen and learn from them. All the time. They have saved me a ton of money,but more importantly they have saved me a ton of time-----of which we all have precious little of.

Now then, I gotta go eat...and you Kidz go enjoy the rest of you evening.......

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Well, it's 11:30 here, So I'm off to bed. Should have those plugs in tomorrow.

Thanks for everything. I'll post how it turns out.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 PM
MrRogers
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You fellas got me paranoid. So is the Mallory Ignition coil I got gonna be good enough (51k volts, .2 ohms) and the MSD 8.5 mm superconductor wires gonna work? Sorry, newbie here. btw ricky, you're right. them fellas are a helluva resource. thanks

Quick Reply: Post your Timing settings