1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is local Ford parts department out of their mind?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 PM
H2oSprayer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is local Ford parts department out of their mind?

In preparation of cleaning my ERG valve, I wanted to get the O-rings just in case. I sent PartsGuyEd a PM and he quickly replied with the part number. I looked it up on his website and find that it is only a $6.00 part. So I thought that I wouldn't waste Ed's time on a $6.00 part, so off to my local Ford parts department. Of course they don't have one and would have to order it. I said that wouldn't be a problem, then I asked what they have for a price. Imagine my surprise when he told me they were nearly $18.00!! I know...in the grand scheme of things it's only 18 bones, but the part that disturbs me is that it is more then double MSRP. Long story short, sorry to have had to bother you Ed with a $6.00 part, but there is no way I am going back to the crooks at the dealership.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by H2oSprayer
there is no way I am going back to the crooks at the stealership.
Fixed it for you.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of the time they will work with you on pricing. I'm usually able to get about 20% off.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same here. I usually swing around 40% off, but then again I am listed with my dealer so I get wholesale price. Still though, their markup is waaaaaaay too much! That being said, try to buy a BMW or Lexus part. You will be begging for Ford dealership prices again.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The reason they have such high markups is so they can give everyone discounts.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to find a good dealer. I needed the charcoal canister sensor and one dealer wanted $110, I bought it at another dealer for $45.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
same here. I usually swing around 40% off, but then again I am listed with my dealer so I get wholesale price. Still though, their markup is waaaaaaay too much! That being said, try to buy a BMW or Lexus part. You will be begging for Ford dealership prices again.
Interesting... I've found parts for our BMW ('95 318is) to be quite inexpensive - less than any other vehicle I've purchased for - import or domestic. Add to that they almost never need parts, and it has proven to be far and away the least inexpensive car we've ever owned!

On the original topic: Dealerships make the majority of their money in one 4 ways:
- Vehicle sales
- Lease/service contracts with large commercial accounts
- Service
- Parts

They will try to make as much in each area as the market will bear. When sales went through the cellar, they had to try to really milk the last two in order to stay in business - especially if they had large debts - which most of the monster dealeships did. If your dealer has chosen Parts as their cash cow, call Ed!

Of course, the other side is the argument is that each dollar spent out of town is another nail in coffin of your local support.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mwsF250
Interesting... I've found parts for our BMW ('95 318is) to be quite inexpensive - less than any other vehicle I've purchased for - import or domestic. Add to that they almost never need parts, and it has proven to be far and away the least inexpensive car we've ever owned!

On the original topic: Dealerships make the majority of their money in one 4 ways:
- Vehicle sales
- Lease/service contracts with large commercial accounts
- Service
- Parts

They will try to make as much in each area as the market will bear. When sales went through the cellar, they had to try to really milk the last two in order to stay in business - especially if they had large debts - which most of the monster dealeships did. If your dealer has chosen Parts as their cash cow, call Ed!

Of course, the other side is the argument is that each dollar spent out of town is another nail in coffin of your local support.
Wow. We have bought several things for a 5 series and an X5 and they have been through the roof. The worst one is Volvo though. They really seem proud of their stuff!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Lol, marking everything up for their half off sale.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Calilift250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if I can avoid it, I stay away from the dealer at all costs... There is a parts store here in So Cal called Carquest, so far from everything for my '84 olds. cutlass supreme, to my gf's 2000 BMW 323ci, to my truck, they have had the best prices and products around... Except for brakes, I don't know why, but they charge way too much for a set of pads...

Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gearloose1

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Wow. We have bought several things for a 5 series and an X5 and they have been through the roof. The worst one is Volvo though. They really seem proud of their stuff!
Isn't Volvo owned by Ford?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy

They were. Last I heard, they were finalizing deal to sell to a Chinese company.

They also sold off Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Range Rover over the last few years.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
daveboys
Freshman User
Around here the local dealer will not move off their price. I don't even bother to look for parts there anymore.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy

Yes they are. I will have to check into it about selling it to Chinese investors, but I know up until very recently they were still Blue Oval.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Kargh
Senior User
Yeah, we have a CarQuest here too and I'd never go there again. Last time I was there they wanted $12 for a thermostat. The same thermostat that I could buy at another store for $3. Needless to say, I didn't buy from them then and I won't buy from them now.

Maybe they are independently owned and set their own markup.

Quick Reply: Is local Ford parts department out of their mind?