it has headers
dual exhaust
4 barrel carb
4.11 gears
4" lift
33 tires
newish looking paint
manuel tranny

problem: i visually looked around the transfer case and all around it is covered in oil
some rust and a few light dents
how is the power of the i6? can it handle highway speeds?

he wants $3500 for it and I think its a little much thats why i came here for some opinions

Old 05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
quader94
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is a bit more than I would pay for an 82 especially of the t-case is leaking. The 300 is almost universally accepted and probably the single most capable, reliable and strongest light truck engine Ford ever built. They have been known to pull trucks around for 200k or more with little more than routine maintenance. The fact that it purports to have a mere 80k on it may be why the seller is looking for a bit more money. Still would haggle that number down though.

If you buy it, make sure the dual exhaust does NOT exit out the rear of the truck. It can be lethal done that way.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by greystreak92
If you buy it, make sure the dual exhaust does NOT exit out the rear of the truck. It can be lethal done that way.
Lol... such a granny sometimes... still, good advice. I must say the I6 has to be coupled to a manual, otherwise it will be a dog. For north-american standards i find that price a little step.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
quader94
Freshman User
That is a bit more than I would pay for an 82 especially of the t-case is leaking. The 300 is almost universally accepted and probably the single most capable, reliable and strongest light truck engine Ford ever built. They have been known to pull trucks around for 200k or more with little more than routine maintenance. The fact that it purports to have a mere 80k on it may be why the seller is looking for a bit more money. Still would haggle that number down though.

i miss read it it actually has 70k, here is more info

The motor was rebuilt, new water pump, oil pump, alternator, plugs, wire, cap, rotor, fresh fluids through out. Hooker header, offenhouser intake, holley 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust out the back. (everyone thinks it a V8) Sounds good, looks good, turns head

the exhaust is out the back, why is it lethal?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Because of the aerodynamics of the Bronco, the exhaust fumes tends to leak in through the rear window if the exhaust exits to the rear and not to the side, as intended.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Might be a granny, but I've been on trips in Broncos with the exhaust out the back and it gives you a headache... even with the rear glass up, the fumes come up through the drain holes in the tailgate. You have to figure that Ford would not have spent the money to put another bend in the exhaust pipe if it wasn't necessary and the OEM exhaust exit is behind the passenger side tire... to the side of the truck. Just not of a mind to poison myself while I drive the truck I love so much. Would hate to have to leave it to my brother in my will... he'd just trash it.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
quader94
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Encho
Because of the aerodynamics of the Bronco, the exhaust fumes tends to leak in through the rear window if the exhaust exits to the rear and not to the side, as intended.
Might be a granny, but I've been on trips in Broncos with the exhaust out the back and it gives you a headache... even with the rear glass up, the fumes come up through the drain holes in the tailgate. You have to figure that Ford would not have spent the money to put another bend in the exhaust pipe if it wasn't necessary and the OEM exhaust exit is behind the passenger side tire... to the side of the truck. Just not of a mind to poison myself while I drive the truck I love so much. Would hate to have to leave it to my brother in my will... he'd just trash it.

will i have to worry about highway speeds without killing my milage?

and will i have to redo the exhaust tips to the sides, or would turning the exhaust tips down fix it?

thanks guys for the quick responses im only 16 so im learning lol

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
quader94
Freshman User
ive been looking at this one too

1979 Ford Bronco

for the price its not bad

Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
quader94
Freshman User
is there anything i should look for thats common with 82 broncos?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
By 82 the "Swiss cheese" frames were no longer an issue if I am remembering correctly. There are inherent rust issues with the rear fenders at the wheel arches and along the bottom of the tailgate from the inside out. Check the red link in my signature or the very first thread in this forum for more details.

I would recommend putting at least a 45 degree bend to exit at the rear corners of the truck with the exhaust. The problem is that the air drawn under the truck rolls up the back of it into the dead air vortex behind the truck so any exhaust immediately behind or below the truck will get sucked into this vortex. The issue exists at any speed to some extent.

I personally would be torn on those options since I absolutely love the 78-79 body style but would sell my mother for a 300. (Whew! Glad Mother's Day is over).

Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
If the exhaust exits out of the rear of the vehicle and not to the side, I wouldn't let that be a deterrent from purchasing the Bronco. That can be fixed easily enough at an exhaust shop for probably not too much.

From the sounds of it though, the guy's done some work on it, especially since it has a 4bbl intake and headers. They only came with a 1bbl, and that's definitely an upgrade (done it myself). Highway speeds shouldn't be an issue at all with that setup.

One thing you'll want to be sure to do is give it a good test drive. Any and all 300s with a 4bbl setup are aftermarket conversions, and require tuning to get them to run right (since it never came that way.) Some people will put a 4bbl setup on and then get so frustrated they can't tune all the kinks out that they end up selling it. I'm not saying that's the case, because all you need is a guy who's good with carb tuning and you're good to go. But to be sure, give it a few good test runs. Does it bog or hesitate off the line? Is there a bog before the secondaries open up? Does it idle nice and smooth? If not, it's had proper tuning. (All stuff I've dealt with with mine.) Also, be sure the headers don't have any exhaust leaks. Headers can do that sometimes if they're not torqued properly.

Plenty of guys can get into the upper teens in gas mileage with a 4bbl'd 300. If you had smaller tires, 18-20 mpg is stretching it, but possible. If you're concerned about fuel mileage, go with the 300. The 78/79s are awesome, but they were made when fuel mileage wasn't a concern and will kill your wallet pretty quickly when you have to keep filling it up. Still, it's a nice price! Remember though, either way, the Bronco is anything but aerodynamic. The faster you drive, the worse your gas mileage. 55mph may be 20mpg, 65 may be 17, and 75 may be 14. It goes down fast the faster you go.

The 300 is an awesome engine, and if it's already decked out and tuned with a 4bbl and headers, you're way ahead of the game. You'll love it.

As for the transfer case covered in oil, it may be a rear main seal, or something like that. Is it engine oil or transmission oil? Those kinds of things are relatively easy to fix but can definitely be used to your advantage to get a lower price tag.

Keep us posted on what you go with.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
quader94
Freshman User
By 82 the "Swiss cheese" frames were no longer an issue if I am remembering correctly. There are inherent rust issues with the rear fenders at the wheel arches and along the bottom of the tailgate from the inside out. Check the red link in my signature or the very first thread in this forum for more details.

I would recommend putting at least a 45 degree bend to exit at the rear corners of the truck with the exhaust. The problem is that the air drawn under the truck rolls up the back of it into the dead air vortex behind the truck so any exhaust immediately behind or below the truck will get sucked into this vortex. The issue exists at any speed to some extent.

I personally would be torn on those options since I absolutely love the 78-79 body style but would sell my mother for a 300. (Whew! Glad Mother's Day is over).
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
If the exhaust exits out of the rear of the vehicle and not to the side, I wouldn't let that be a deterrent from purchasing the Bronco. That can be fixed easily enough at an exhaust shop for probably not too much.

From the sounds of it though, the guy's done some work on it, especially since it has a 4bbl intake and headers. They only came with a 1bbl, and that's definitely an upgrade (done it myself). Highway speeds shouldn't be an issue at all with that setup.

One thing you'll want to be sure to do is give it a good test drive. Any and all 300s with a 4bbl setup are aftermarket conversions, and require tuning to get them to run right (since it never came that way.) Some people will put a 4bbl setup on and then get so frustrated they can't tune all the kinks out that they end up selling it. I'm not saying that's the case, because all you need is a guy who's good with carb tuning and you're good to go. But to be sure, give it a few good test runs. Does it bog or hesitate off the line? Is there a bog before the secondaries open up? Does it idle nice and smooth? If so, it's had proper tuning. (All stuff I've dealt with with mine.) Also, be sure the headers don't have any exhaust leaks. Headers can do that sometimes if they're not torqued properly.

Plenty of guys can get into the upper teens in gas mileage with a 4bbl'd 300. If you had smaller tires, 18-20 mpg is stretching it, but possible. If you're concerned about fuel mileage, go with the 300. The 78/79s are awesome, but they were made when fuel mileage wasn't a concern and will kill your wallet pretty quickly when you have to keep filling it up. Still, it's a nice price! Remember though, either way, the Bronco is anything but aerodynamic. The faster you drive, the worse your gas mileage. 55mph may be 20mpg, 65 may be 17, and 75 may be 14. It goes down fast the faster you go.

The 300 is an awesome engine, and if it's already decked out and tuned with a 4bbl and headers, you're way ahead of the game. You'll love it.

As for the transfer case covered in oil, it may be a rear main seal, or something like that. Is it engine oil or transmission oil? Those kinds of things are relatively easy to fix but can definitely be used to your advantage to get a lower price tag.

Keep us posted on what you go with.
thanks for the great info guys

heres some pics of it

anyone guess what ford is lurking in the background?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Pretty nice looking Bronco! Looks like they added some 92+ mirrors on it. I like the color, rims, tires, whole deal. Looks like someone loved that truck (big plus).
As cool as that exhaust looks though, definitely get it curved outwards for the reasons mentioned above.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
quader94
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Pretty nice looking Bronco! Looks like they added some 92+ mirrors on it. I like the color, rims, tires, whole deal. Looks like someone loved that truck (big plus).
As cool as that exhaust looks though, definitely get it curved outwards for the reasons mentioned above.

yeah in person it looks in good condition, i would of never noticed the mirrors till you pointed it out

he herculiner coated the interior, is that like rhino coating in the back of a pickup?

Quick Reply: 82 Bronco