Fuel Pouring Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 AM
35racer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pouring Out

Hey all,

2000 F250 with 180k on the odometer. (Bought it used, don't have any history. )

I pulled into a gas station the other day and fuel was pouring out from under the motor. It came out for a few minutes, then eventually stopped. As soon as I start the truck, it comes pouring out again.

Otherwise, the truck starts and runs normally.

I did a search on these forums and found this about the fuel drain valve. (Welcome to guzzle's PSD Fuel Filter Drain Valve Repair Web Page)

Would that allow fuel to POUR out or just drip?

My first thought was a ruptured fuel line?

Also, could I have somehow caused this by running the tank so low? I was on fumes when I pulled into the gas station... maybe I picked up crap from the bottom of the tank and it caused the issue?

Also, does anyone know of a good Diesel shop in the Springfield, MA area?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's pouring fuel out that fast, it should be easy to spot the leak. Find the leak first, then see if it's something you can fix. Might save you a few bucks on having to take it to the mechanic.

Most common leaks are around the fuel bowl. Either that drain valve, or the fuel filter cap itself.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 AM
35racer
New User
Originally Posted by Pocket
If it's pouring fuel out that fast, it should be easy to spot the leak. Find the leak first, then see if it's something you can fix. Might save you a few bucks on having to take it to the mechanic.

Most common leaks are around the fuel bowl. Either that drain valve, or the fuel filter cap itself.
I can't see from the top, and can't get to the bottom. It's a 2wd so can't even get under the truck... not to mention I'm not dying to lay in diesel fuel.

I can't have the truck running and look because it pours out so much.

With the truck off, there is so much wet at this point that I cannot pin point the starting point.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 AM
djanzen
Elder User

I have repaired alot of trucks where the fuel line rubbed through in the intake valley just below the the inlet tubes, there is a clamp there that rubs. check it with a flash light and have someone start the truck. you will soon find the leak.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
35racer
New User
Originally Posted by djanzen
I have repaired alot of trucks where the fuel line rubbed through in the intake valley just below the the inlet tubes, there is a clamp there that rubs. check it with a flash light and have someone start the truck. you will soon find the leak.
I know squat about these motors...

Are you saying to look up from the bottom or from the top of the motor?

I have looked from the top of the motor and seen nothing.

There is no way to look from the bottom of the motor as fuel is literally pouring out when the truck is on. If I had a lift, maybe... but can't lay under it and see anything as you'd be covered in fuel in 2 seconds.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
If you have an automatic and the fuel is running out from the inspection cover, your leak is coming from the top of the engine. You don't have to start the truck to locate where the leak is coming from, just cycle the key to the on position. The fuel pump will pressurize the system and you should be able to look for the source.

Major leak sources would be around the fuel bowl or the steel fuel line going from the bowl, running down the valley on the passenger's side, connecting to the rear of the passenger's head or from the fuel bowl, crossing over the front of the valley and connecting to the front of the drivers head.

If the fuel sleeve on the rear of the passenger's head let go, it could run down the back of the engine and onto the starter motor.

From what you describe, I would say that you have rubbed a hole in the line as djanzen said, in the valley, near the turbo pedestal, just behind the air intake hose that goes into the passenger's side head.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM
wolfrace
You like apples?
Start of with the easy stuff, pull the powerstroke cover. Make sure your feul filter cap is tight and run your fingers around it, and make sure you can feel the gasket all the way around (not buldging) check that your drain is fully closed. IIRC vavle is closed when it is flat against the feul bowl. Get a large plastic bin, you can buy em flat and low enough to get under your truck, start her up, and and let it pour. Look from the top sides and anywhere you are no getting showered. Use a flash light, it should be pretty easy to see.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
35racer
New User
UPDATE:

So the truck was towed and unloaded - which meant the ground under the truck was not full of diesel fuel.

I opened up the fuel drain for a couple of seconds to see where the fuel would end up.

I then started the truck for a second to see where the fuel is dumping from.

They are distinctly different areas.

When the truck is running, the fuel ends up pooling about 15 inches further back and slightly more toward the passenger side.

When I crawled under, it appeared to end up dropping to the ground almost where the tranny and motor meet... but from a source up higher.

Going to try and find some schematics that might hint at the source.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a valley drain on the rear/passenger side, so that's where the fuel SHOULD pool. When it runs out that drain, it will come down the back of the motor where you describe. The leak IS up top, you just need to find out if it's a line, seal called "Parker sleeves", or an O-ring issue at the fuel bowl. Could also be a cracked bowl housing or drain valve. The drain valve is plastic, so a crack isn't out of the question.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:01 PM
izzybird
Elder User

What Guzzle said.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
35racer
New User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
There is a valley drain on the rear/passenger side, so that's where the fuel SHOULD pool. When it runs out that drain, it will come down the back of the motor where you describe. The leak IS up top, you just need to find out if it's a line, seal called "Parker sleeves", or an O-ring issue at the fuel bowl. Could also be a cracked bowl housing or drain valve. The drain valve is plastic, so a crack isn't out of the question.
If it was an O-ring issue at the fuel bowl, wouldn't that drain out the same place it drains out when I manually open the bowl?

Because the spots are so far from eachother, I'm thinking that rules out the bowl, no?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Your leak is on top of the motor. No need to lay down in the dirt. Find you something to stand on and grab a flash light. Go ahead and remove the big plastic cover that says Powerstroke that near the top center of your motor (if you have one). Underneath that, you will find a round plastic lid. That's your fuel filter bowl.

Start your investigation there. After you have removed the cover so you're looking at the motor like in the picture, start the truck up and with a flash light, look around that bowl from several different angles to see if you can locate your gushing fuel.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 35racer
If it was an O-ring issue at the fuel bowl, wouldn't that drain out the same place it drains out when I manually open the bowl?

Because the spots are so far from eachother, I'm thinking that rules out the bowl, no?
It could, but the O-rings also seal the valve to the bowl. I had fuel in my valley when mine went... Here's what they looked like all flattened out:

Old 05-09-2010, 12:15 PM
35racer
New User
I did remove the cover and look pretty closely down ... didn't really seem too wet up there that I could see.

With the amount of fuel that pours out when the truck is running, that area up top would be soaking wet if the leak was there.

I didn't watch with the motor running though - just right after.

I need to find a larger container to hold the fuel that spills... and try to look longer with the truck running.

My gut tells me it is lower than the bowl though.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You don't have to actually start the truck. The fuel pump is electric and will stay on for 25 seconds when you turn the key on and don't start the motor. Just turn the key to the on position and look / listen for the leak.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pouring Out