1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fair price? (dealer repair)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
fair price? (dealer repair)

Hey everyone,

Ok just wondering if my dealer charged me a "fair" price? I had a rear axl leak and my Backing plate was rotted out. I havn't had many problems with my truck (guess i'm one of the luck few with an 05 6.0) They charged me 459.00 for the full job. Is that fair? I'm not very mechanically inclined (computer repair guy) So I had my dealer due the job. Just want your opinion. See truck in my sig.

Take care
Eddie

Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The cover was probably around $45 and fluid was around $80 so that's about $334 in labor. Even at $80 an hour that is 4+ hours.

Now if they replaced the pinion seal or wheels seals then this is much more reasonable. However if it was just the cover and fluid they hosed you pretty good.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eryoung
Hey everyone,

Ok just wondering if my dealer charged me a "fair" price? I had a rear axl leak and my Backing plate was rotted out.
Do you mean (like monsta said) that the diff cover was rusted out and leaking? (this price is way too high to replace the cover and refill the pumpkin.)

or

Is the "backing plate" the one that the ebrake is attached to? That plate is rather pricey since it can't be purchased as just a plate. If the pumpkin cover wasn't leaking, was it the inner axle seal or the pinion seal that leaked?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it really matter if the price was fair? If it has been completed, was done correct, and you did not ask for an estimate ahead of the repair being done, it kind of a Mute point now.
Have you ever wonder how many customers who you have repaired their computer have wondered if they over paid for your service? Questioning whether they have been price gouged.
Point is, at times we need the service of others and we pay for their service due to the fact that we don't have that special ability needed to DIY.
As for the job being done at a Ford dealer, unless you have made prior arrangements you will be charged book hours for the job, at the posted labor rate.
As well as list price for the parts over the Ford Parts counter, bright side is the repair should carry a warranty from the dealer.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Does it really matter if the price was fair? If it has been completed, was done correct, and you did not ask for an estimate ahead of the repair being done, it kind of a Mute point now.
Have you ever wonder how many customers who you have repaired their computer have wondered if they over paid for your service? Questioning whether they have been price gouged.
Point is, at times we need the service of others and we pay for their service due to the fact that we don't have that special ability needed to DIY.
As for the job being done at a Ford dealer, unless you have made prior arrangements you will be charged book hours for the job, at the posted labor rate.
As well as list price for the parts over the Ford Parts counter, bright side is the repair should carry a warranty from the dealer.
It would matter to me. I hate getting ripped of and that's what I alawys shop around and get gauranteed price first....................then it's off to court.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
elongate
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ckeck your bill. The odds of you needing the backing plate repaired on a full floating axle is impossible. Backing plates retain the bearing and seal on a semi- float axle like a dana 44, you probably have a dana 80 that uses spindles and an inner and out bearing.

A full float axle places no weight on the axle shaft, a semi-float does.

If we can get what the bill says or even part #'s we could help you more accurately.
Hope i haven't made things worse, I tend to ramble.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 PM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Ok Part numbers. (I'm assuming these are the part numbers)

note on bill says. "Found RR Axle Seal leaking and Back Plate Rotted. Replaced both items and cleaned Area"

8015 CPF

1. 5c3z*1s175*A Seal price 42.49

1. XY*75w140*QL oil - rear Axl $21.79

1. 8C3Z*2209*A Brake Asy - Rear $235.95

I have alway brought my truck to this dealer ship. I was just curious. I do trust them.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 AM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like they did the right rear seal and backing plate which must come as an assembly. What was the labor charges?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:15 AM
willie00
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks like it breaks down to about $300 for parts, $150 for labor (probably about 1.5 hrs). That sounds more than fair to me. When I replaced mine about a year ago the local dealer couldn't touch that price for the backing plates.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like you got a good repair at a fair price to me..

Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 AM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Actually it does matter. The OP must decide if he will go back to that dealer for future repairs. If you can't trust your shop to do good work at a fair price then you need to find a new shop.

With that said, IMHO, 1.5 hours is appropriate for that job, and the parts prices are what they are.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 PM
kpmalone
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as it was done correct and the parts add up to more than labor.. I am always satisfied.. (My boat always requires more labor than parts)

Old 04-26-2010, 04:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GUNNERDOG
Actually it does matter. The OP must decide if he will go back to that dealer for future repairs. If you can't trust your shop to do good work at a fair price then you need to find a new shop.

With that said, IMHO, 1.5 hours is appropriate for that job, and the parts prices are what they are.
I agree. Too many people are getting ripped of by dealers and they need to fight back.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
To the OP, I think that sounds like a reasonable charge for the repairs.

However, having grown up with wrenches in both hands, I can't imagine paying someone, let alone a dealer, to repair my vehicle. Therefore, I have a hard time understanding how people get ripped off by the dealer. All they need is a written estimate before hand to compare with written estimates from other shops. If, based on the estimate, they take their rig to the dealer then they should tell the service writer ahead of time that they want to be consulted if the repair won't come in at the original estimate.

Am I missing something?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
To the OP, I think that sounds like a reasonable charge for the repairs.

However, having grown up with wrenches in both hands, I can't imagine paying someone, let alone a dealer, to repair my vehicle. Therefore, I have a hard time understanding how people get ripped off by the dealer. All they need is a written estimate before hand to compare with written estimates from other shops. If, based on the estimate, they take their rig to the dealer then they should tell the service writer ahead of time that they want to be consulted if the repair won't come in at the original estimate.

Am I missing something?
A lot of people just say; go ahead and fix it and walk away. Many people don't even think to ask them to call if there is a difference from the estimate. Many people don't shop around because there is only 1 dealer nearby. Many people never shop around for anything