1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Spring Pickin'

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Spring Pickin'

I spent the winter plotting, scheming, and planning my F-2 build and now that spring is here and the weather is good, I've been scouring the yards for the miscellaneous bits of junk that I'll need to put it together. Today, I swung out to my favorite local yard and scored two pinion yokes, a transfer case yoke, clutch slave cylinder fitting, and a bellhousing inspection plug for $20. I'm trekking to the two big Pull-a-Part type yards in Indy on Sunday to look for one more yoke, an engine computer, and possible pitman arm donors. Depending on the weather, I'll be back out at the yard I hit today at the beginning of next week to pull off a nice set of 4x4 lockouts and a steering J-arm. This is better than Christmas!

So who besides myself has this bizarre fascination with hanging out in junkyards and salvage yards? Any of you having any luck yet with their treasure hunting? Any good deals or neat finds?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the pull-a-parts. I'm too young to remember that they all use to be that way. We have one not to far that always gets old cars in. I try to save what I can and ebay it

Has to be one of my favorite places to go, you just never know what you may find....

Its nice to see stuff being recycled as well.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I can't afford Spring picking.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:32 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
HAVI, i have a 53 merc go to my album & enlarge the picture of the merc & let me know what you think of it.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage

So who besides myself has this bizarre fascination with hanging out in junkyards and salvage yards?
Hitting the yards on a Saturday morning was always a fun past time. Used to get up early and go with my Dad whenever he needed something. Unfortunately, there's no U-pull-it type places near me anymore, so I'm missing out on all the fun. And I do miss it, too. It was a great way to get ideas about what you could make work. The ones we have have the "fancy" show rooms with seats and tires in the lobby with big price tags, and you stand in line to talk to the counter person and make your request.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:25 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bone yards around here won't let ya in no more you sit and wait while they do it . unless you get off the beaten path like some places i know . strange maybe but what i always say is it may seem weird to others but i'm staying out of trouble doing these type of things . well kinda staying out of trouble ......... the boneyards here now don't even have parts for my 95 bird most of the time as it's too old ???????????????? god help me if i was looking for something for the 53 or 52 .................... as far as treasure hunting . uhhuh but not in the salvage yards . scored the 52 , found a wrecked mark 8 for a parts donor for my bird for 400 { as if i have it right now the 52 emptied my funds !! } scored a 4 valve 4.6 for 120 bucks in a bone yard off the beaten path , from a lincoln that was driven in to the yard ........................ got some other places and things to see yet too ..................

Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
So who besides myself has this bizarre fascination with hanging out in junkyards and salvage yards? Any of you having any luck yet with their treasure hunting? Any good deals or neat finds?
Like 55 F350 said around here they dont let you in the yard to do anything and if your looking for anything over 10 years old good luck. I'm looking for a couple old 55 cabs to tinker around with for a extended/king cab idea and either they want the going rate of gold or I have to travel across the country (both out of my range)...lol

Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Mixed emotions about Pick-a-parts. The one BobbyT and I hit is full of engines torn apart so some moron can get a set of used lifters for $15, and then the engine sits open in the sand and rain. They usually break anything off they can to save time, and because they only bring a pair of visegrips and a screwdriver in the way of tools. The dashboards are almost always crow-bar'd apart so they can get used light bulbs and fuses -- are bulbs THAT expensive??? On the other hand, I needed an electrical connector for the fuel pump on my Mustang, got it there for a buck or two, no other source I could find. I always find lots of cool little doo-dads that can be used for something. Going tomorrow...

Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
tardster , jack at a-z radiator has a pos 55 sitting out back of his shop . it'll probably pull apart when you try to move it , it's that far gone . i bought the other one there for parts . no titles . no big just cut it up !! it's on cook street here in town . i stole the custom cab dash and door trim from it a while back and a couple other things , and no i didna actually steal them ................... i know where thers a real nice cab in petersburg area too , i'll check it out next time i wander up that way . oh yeah got a cuz near ya , in pawnee with a 53 also .............. ross you make a good point ,that 4 valve 4.6 i acquired is a running motor . the car was driven into the yard . you ought to seethe hack job on the wiring , fuel lines etc. to get it out . damn shame as those parts would've been nice . but why complain i gotz 300 ponies for 120 dollars so shut up kevin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:20 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sometimes the good Lord blesses our projects and sends what we need our way. My buddy called yesterday afternoon and said that he bought a '78 Bronco to haul for scrap and wanted to know if I needed anything before he took it in. I grabbed my tape measure and went for a look. I felt like I should have gotten a tetanus shot before I got within 10 feet of it, but when I peeked underneath, it had a nice, tight double cardan drive shaft and the same transfer case that I'm going to use. The tape measure said that it was almost the perfect length for the rear shaft in my F-2! It won't even need shortened. I got the shaft, all the hardware, and the output yoke off the t-case. In exchange, I told him he could haul a couple old rear axles I had laying around for scrap. Such a deal!

Off to the big yards in Indy this AM for more hunting between rain showers. I've been anticipating this all week!