1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Back to basics

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 PM
rbig1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow breath in breath out lifes to short. i dont think any one would do any thing under handed

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
i started my first system with kickers from sound of ptown and later got bored and moved to a bigger system. then i went with re audio and dealt with a place in bartonville (xtreme sounds)that screwed me over so i went out and got on forums and read how to make a box and made one. i tuned it perfectly and fell in love. now i can install alot more than most regular people and can make things loud. but loud isnt everything. my uncle ( cfo for cat) brought a 67 mustang up and wanted some thing done with his "radio" he listens to rock and country and gave me some money and ordered everything. i ended up doing a flip up screen which could play videos while driving . 4 tweeters all around 6 6x9s and door panal speakers made by re audio ( re audio xxx components) with about 1800 true watts going to it (rms). it was loud if he wanted it too ( aka 2kw's) but it was the clearest sounding system ever with bass baffles and everything hidden and custom. I did some awesome work to it and fell in love. Bought some good tools and did my own plus my friends.

i guess i should do an introduction so people can actually get to know me.

im serious about this stuff because its a passion.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When someone is passionate.....stuff gets said.....ok.......I am no way in love with big sound systems and actually have done alot of d-j ing for weddings and clubs. I do not think I would ever install one of these systems....but my 63 R2 A vanti has one in it, that my brother installed yrs ago.
I hardly ever turn it up.
I just did not like the way you approached the thread. Sorry I DON'T WANT TO BE mis-understund....ERIC BURDEN AND THE ANIMALS.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Passionate

Here we go again.....keep it light, breath, relax. Repeat the truck mantra....I will finish some day, I will finish some day...

The forum is about opinion, everybodys got one...LOL

The problem with passing-it ..is we sometimes miss the point.

3rdshift....I don't think people were dissin you; some of us more "seasoned" (old)individuals have a different perspective when it comes to loud noises that are generated through "woofers" (not dogs barking).

I hope to use your expertise when I get around to (if ever) to installing some sort of musical transmitting device in my truck. For now I have to stay within range of my garage sound system if I want to hear tunes and be near my truck too.

Stay cool..and stay tuned.

Tom

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
3rdshift, I think you (or the people installing larger alternators) have a misconception that a larger alternator is going to react to instantaneous draws from a big system (whatever "big three" is -- you might want to explain). Alternators only put out when the system voltage drops, so by definition they won't help a 1/2-second burst of power draw to a sound system until it's over. That's exactly what the battery is for. Alternators just replenish the battery. The battery also supplies cleaner power, no AC ripple.

I'm not sure why exactly, but the worst of the thumper phase seems to have passed; maybe all those guys are so deaf they gave up? I love a good system myself but can't imagine why anyone needs more than 50 watts. I have a Marantz 2250 that makes plenty of volume with a quality sound, plenty of bass...

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
3rdshift, I think you (or the people installing larger alternators) have a misconception that a larger alternator is going to react to instantaneous draws from a big system (whatever "big three" is -- you might want to explain). Alternators only put out when the system voltage drops, so by definition they won't help a 1/2-second burst of power draw to a sound system until it's over. That's exactly what the battery is for. Alternators just replenish the battery. The battery also supplies cleaner power, no AC ripple.

I'm not sure why exactly, but the worst of the thumper phase seems to have passed; maybe all those guys are so deaf they gave up? I love a good system myself but can't imagine why anyone needs more than 50 watts. I have a Marantz 2250 that makes plenty of volume with a quality sound, plenty of bass...
thanks for pointing that out. this is why they invented super cells and capacitors. most bursts arent 1/2 a second. even after the hit i can watch my voltmeter stay the same. but the bigger the alternator the faster it can charge the battery. this is why it would be stupid to add more batteries in the back because the alternator would be working that much harder to charge two batteries instead of just one.

if you guys really want a link on the big three i can grab one. its very interesting and i have done it to all my cars. but the concept is that with the big three: it makes the alternator more efficient when charging the battery. and most factory amps in the back around around 300amps anyways. in no way will 50 watts produce enough sound for a whole system. my tweeters are running off of 150watts each. its all about sound clarity not loudness. making your wattage as crystal clear as possible.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM
ktmrider43
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tip49
Here we go again.....keep it light, breath, relax. Repeat the truck mantra....I will finish some day, I will finish some day...

The forum is about opinion, everybodys got one...LOL

The problem with passing-it ..is we sometimes miss the point.

3rdshift....I don't think people were dissin you; some of us more "seasoned" (old)individuals have a different perspective when it comes to loud noises that are generated thorough "woofers" (not dogs barking).

I hope to use your expertise when I get around to (if ever) to installing some sort of musical transmitting devicein my truck. For now I have to stay within range of my garage sound system if I want to hear tunes and be near my truck too.

Stay cool..and stay tuned.

Tom
That's something my wife's Grandpa said to me when he heard my stereo, as to why I spent so much money on "that too loud musical transmitting device"

sorry, too funny...

Steve

Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM
tuck1
Junior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'm not sure why exactly, but the worst of the thumper phase seems to have passed; maybe all those guys are so deaf they gave up?
Back in the late '80s early 90's some guys drove around with earplugs inserted.

'Look mom, I can impress my friends and spare my hearing all at the same time! Fire truck, what fire truck?'

As police noise law enforcement went up the volume went down.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
I thought all of us were to lighten up ?