Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Triton V10 Campfire and Cold Beer Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 AM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Triton V10 Campfire and Cold Beer Thread...

I had a funny run-on with a Dodge Ram today! I thought some of you guys would get a kick out of this so I grabbed a few red/white labeled longnecks and typed this out for your enjoyment!

I left work early today around 1pm so I'm on a week vacation now. Driving home like always and I see the Ram in my rear mirror passing a car a few hundred feet back. This is a curvy, double lane road, speed limit is 45 and he passes this car over double solid lines-I drive about 40 to 45 here and he caught me quick and starts tailgating me about as close as I've ever been followed. If I'd have slammed my brakes I'd have been hit, 100% sure.

Not being a mean driver, I ignore him and keep on it. Just want to go home-it was like 45* today, sunny, and I wanted to do some stuff outside. In fact I was hoping he'd pass me but I guess the road got too curved & he stayed back there close as ever.

At a certain spot, I slowed down to let a car turn and my buddy back there puts on a big show. Blows the horn, throws up his arms and of course I can't hear him but I see his mouth flapping at me like it was a big deal for him to slow down. I really preach to my wife and family about avoiding "road rage" but this guy's behavior irked me.

He tailgated me a few more miles and the road opens to two lanes at a light. It's red, & of course sky captain jerks his Ram to the left lane and pulls up next to me. Oh yeah, he can't resist it. Until now I can't see what he has except it was a newer one, silver, with custom grill and a chrome Ram head front plate but now I see it's a 2500, 4x4 ex cab, short box with aftermarket wheels. All shiny, tires glossy...young kid maybe 25 & Hemi on the fender!

Now I'm thinking when the light turns, it's on. I'm not a big street racer but there's no traffic, speed limit goes up to 65, straight shot for several hundred yards. I can grease this little girl off the line, school him and not even break the speed limit. I looked over at him and his eyes are glued to the windsheld like a statue. Even slapped my horn...no response.

The other lights go yellow, ours goes green and.....he f'ing sits there. I didn't take off at 100% but I gunned it good so he wouldn't get jump on me but the little pretty boy lets me get a few lengths ahead of him but keeps up. Then in a complete reversal of behavior pulls in behind me at a nice distance back and follows me a few miles & turns off. No tailgating this time! Oh well, so I didn't make a hippocrite of myself by drag racing despite giving it a good try. Probably for the best-it wouldve cost me $5 gas to roast the idiot.

So I was thinking about it and I'm guessing he had every intention of jumping on me at that light. When he was tailgating me he couldn't tell what engine I had and assumed I was in a 5.4L or PSD like the other 90% of Superduties out there. When he pulled up to me at the light he saw the "Triton V10" on there and tucked his tail under his skirt!.

I told my wife about this and she said I'm in the same class as the kid in the Ram if I raced him. That hurt, sort of. So I told my kid about it when we were outside. He stared at me, pointed at the F250 and said "daddy's truck"!! Hah-some recognition finally! So what if he's only 3!

Any stories? Keep it lighthearted-races, stuck stories or just dumb or funny stuff that happened concerning your truck. Post photos, here's mine:

Last edited by MountainHound; 02-28-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:50 AM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and you also join the bseg club. don't know what it is with these ram guys they seem to think because it states hemi they rule the road. friday i had the same thing only uphill on a 2 lane he tryd to up me on the right. don't think he saw the emblems on my fenders w the v10 on them, smoked the dude . i think i'm going to start having my pin striper paint ram heads on my door instead of eating roast ram for dinner.
good one man . only one thing i'd wasted the 5 bucks and some tire

Old 02-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Smile V10 Badge getting respect from Hemi-rods!

Mountainhound, Great post and you were the gentleman in the Ford and he was the dork in the Dodge. There has been several magazine articles out with the 05 V10s "roasting rams" the phrase Charlie uses. These things are pretty decent on fuel when you don't hotrod them but at least you get some "go for the dough" with these babies. My 88 F250 460 was a gas guzzler even if I babied her and if I tried to street drag you got a big roar and not much more. It did tow well, I must say that. I can hardly wait to hit the road in my V10 at the end of April. I will have my Camper on and will be around 11000 pounds, just under my GVW. I have made the same trip many times with my last three PSDs so it will be a great comparison. So far this motor has exceeded my expectations in power, fuel economy , and being just fun to drive. I never would have believed that a 7400 lb truck could feel like a pony car. Ford is putting so many of these V10s into Motorhomes and the guys at the V10 factory say they are runniung flat out. I'm sure that is the reason Ford is not pushing this motor in SDs. GMs thirsty for fuel and crankcase oil big block, is rare in their trucks as well and the Hemi is not even in the same tow class as Ford or GM gassers. You won't find the Hemi in no motorhome. Once again great post and let's hope more Dodge owners check out the V10 badge. That's going to save us all a bunch of money. Your wife sounds exactly like mine. Mine says to me , When are you going to grow up? I say back, Well I'm 54 now so I guess it ain't never going to happen. Take care, Wrench.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:37 PM
nisiar
Senior User
It looks like those guy's really believe those commercial's.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
My dad, a 20 year Ford man, just fell to the dark side and baught a Dodge ram quad cab with the 5.7L. He likes it but I dont. He got the 20" rim package. Major turn off on a 1/2 ton pickup. He told me he can spin the tires really easy. But then it pointed out to him that it snowed today and that was slush not HP causing that. I have not driven it and dont plan to, but if he ever wants to play like a big boy my V10 (bankspower pack & scmt) are ready and waiting.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:21 PM
wvabeer
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
My dad, a 20 year Ford man, just fell to the dark side and baught a Dodge ram quad cab with the 5.7L. He likes it but I dont. He got the 20" rim package. Major turn off on a 1/2 ton pickup. He told me he can spin the tires really easy. But then it pointed out to him that it snowed today and that was slush not HP causing that. I have not driven it and dont plan to, but if he ever wants to play like a big boy my V10 (bankspower pack & scmt) are ready and waiting.
I sure hope your dad gets feelin better

Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
Your wife sounds exactly like mine. Mine says to me , When are you going to grow up? I say back, Well I'm 54 now so I guess it ain't never going to happen. Take care, Wrench.
Well that's good to hear Wrench! I'm only 38 but I'm glad to know I'm not expected to grow anytime soon!

Boxcar-sorry about your old man. I could almost accept it, but the 20"s would just be too much. Maybe he'll come around like WVBeer says!!

Here's a few photos at the stone quarry today to get some limestone to fix some roads on my place. It was snowing like a bitch all day and I had my snowblower in there too. These things weigh like 40lbs each so I handloladed cause the loader is too big. Kept tossing them in and got 3040lbs of stone Plus the blower at 250lbs=I was a little overloaded. The gross on the scale ticket came out to 10280lbs.

Anybody got some good mud/stuck photos? I wouldn't mind seeing one of a SD towing a Dodge or Toyota!!

Old 03-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Smile

MountainHound, nice truck you have there and I see you still have winter where you are.

Boxcar, I hope your Dad has good luck with his Dodge. I had bad luck with my 04 F350 PSD and I would not wish the frustration of breaking down in a new truck on my worst enemy. I think the worst part is all the jerks out there who never even acknowledge that you bought a new truck and when they hear it broke down they almost trip over themselves to ask you about it. The guys that talked to me about my truck before it started breaking down, I was happy to share my tale of woe but those other turkeys were treated a little different. The Wrenchtraveller is fairly outspoken at times and I told a few of those trolls a thing or two. Take care, Wrench.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:27 AM
captchas
Talking

great looking truck man,mines a twin except the wheels and maybe the interior as i have a lariat . you never grow up just get bigger toys. i'm 58 and can't get away from my hotrod back ground. these v10's are monsters and there is no way around that. wish you the best of luck with it. don't eat to much roast ram its fatening.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Captchas, Roast Ram is actually slimming.......... for your tires. MountainHound , looks like you use your 4x4 option on a regular basis. Nice looking tires you have there. Wrench.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MountainHound
I had a funny run-on with a Dodge Ram today! I thought some of you guys would get a kick out of this so I grabbed a few red/white labeled longnecks and typed this out for your enjoyment!

I left work early today around 1pm so I'm on a week vacation now. Driving home like always and I see the Ram in my rear mirror passing a car a few hundred feet back. This is a curvy, double lane road, speed limit is 45 and he passes this car over double solid lines-I drive about 40 to 45 here and he caught me quick and starts tailgating me about as close as I've ever been followed. If I'd have slammed my brakes I'd have been hit, 100% sure.

Not being a mean driver, I ignore him and keep on it. Just want to go home-it was like 45* today, sunny, and I wanted to do some stuff outside. In fact I was hoping he'd pass me but I guess the road got too curved & he stayed back there close as ever.

At a certain spot, I slowed down to let a car turn and my buddy back there puts on a big show. Blows the horn, throws up his arms and of course I can't hear him but I see his mouth flapping at me like it was a big deal for him to slow down. I really preach to my wife and family about avoiding "road rage" but this guy's behavior irked me.

He tailgated me a few more miles and the road opens to two lanes at a light. It's red, & of course sky captain jerks his Ram to the left lane and pulls up next to me. Oh yeah, he can't resist it. Until now I can't see what he has except it was a newer one, silver, with custom grill and a chrome Ram head front plate but now I see it's a 2500, 4x4 ex cab, short box with aftermarket wheels. All shiny, tires glossy...young kid maybe 25 & Hemi on the fender!

Now I'm thinking when the light turns, it's on. I'm not a big street racer but there's no traffic, speed limit goes up to 65, straight shot for several hundred yards. I can grease this little girl off the line, school him and not even break the speed limit. I looked over at him and his eyes are glued to the windsheld like a statue. Even slapped my horn...no response.

The other lights go yellow, ours goes green and.....he f'ing sits there. I didn't take off at 100% but I gunned it good so he wouldn't get jump on me but the little pretty boy lets me get a few lengths ahead of him but keeps up. Then in a complete reversal of behavior pulls in behind me at a nice distance back and follows me a few miles & turns off. No tailgating this time! Oh well, so I didn't make a hippocrite of myself by drag racing despite giving it a good try. Probably for the best-it wouldve cost me $5 gas to roast the idiot.

So I was thinking about it and I'm guessing he had every intention of jumping on me at that light. When he was tailgating me he couldn't tell what engine I had and assumed I was in a 5.4L or PSD like the other 90% of Superduties out there. When he pulled up to me at the light he saw the "Triton V10" on there and tucked his tail under his skirt!.

I told my wife about this and she said I'm in the same class as the kid in the Ram if I raced him. That hurt, sort of. So I told my kid about it when we were outside. He stared at me, pointed at the F250 and said "daddy's truck"!! Hah-some recognition finally! So what if he's only 3!

Any stories? Keep it lighthearted-races, stuck stories or just dumb or funny stuff that happened concerning your truck. Post photos, here's mine:
My wife says the same kind of junk, but here's the diff; you weren't camped out on this dork's bumper honkin and wavin. You weren't weaving in and out of traffic illegally. So had he pulled next to me, I would have had zero problem eating this SpEd's lunch. Yea, yea, the old lady would have been purple, but hey, guys is guys. I'll remind her of that when there's a spider or her car is making a funny sound. I have not raced a Hemi Ram yet, I'm waiting, I have had a couple tards in their 6 cylinders of Cummins diesel go up against the mighty 10, it's only fun for a bit though. After you get so far ahead you can't see em what fun is it ?

Old 03-02-2005, 03:41 PM
etcetera
Senior User
I had a run in with a dodge hemi quad cab 4x4 short box. Pretty much the same config as mine. Toasted him up to about 55 when I let off. The best part is, he flew past me, and got pulled over a couple blocks ahead.

Eric

Old 03-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats all this RAM talk?

Every time I look at the back of the Red Dodge here and see the tacky "Yea It's A Hemi!" sticker my eyes keep being drawn to the Dodge emblem and logo

Like I said sure don't know where you all get RAM..

All I see is a set of overies!

Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM
captchas
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fredvon4
Whats all this RAM talk?

All I see is a set of overies!
good one fred. welcome back .my photos are in the camera and will be posted tonight.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
captchas
guess not as they are working on the web site i can't get the photos added

Quick Reply: Triton V10 Campfire and Cold Beer Thread...