General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

anybody allergic to the sun?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anybody allergic to the sun?

My 12 year old son was told by the doctor today he is allergic to the sun. This sucks,he is in the sun all day every day in the summer time,has never had this problem before. why would it start all of a sudden? he gets a rash all over his arms and it itches bad. The doctor told him to stay out of the sun or wear long sleeve shirts and a hat. good luck with that. Will he ever grow out of it? Is there anything else he could do besides long sleeve shirts? anybody with experience feel free to give advice.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Grey 250s
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that sucks. Little dude will need to make some adjustments for a while.

My wife lived on the beach (Stinson Beach) growing up. At about 30 yo, she developed what the doctors called solar urticaria (sp?) with exact symptoms your boy has. Symptoms lasted a couple of years and then quit. We're mid-fifties now with no recurrance of the symptoms. Miserable for a while but managed to get through it.

Solar urticaria

A lot of pro sports players wear long sleeves as do most ranchers. Tell him it's cool.

Best thoughts for your son.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was diagnosed with being allergic to the sun when I was a child - It manifested itself by covering my skin in little white bumps - I don't remember if it itched or not...

I outgrew it...

I still can't be in the sun though - because of the severity of my migraine condition, it is physically painful to me to be out in the sun...

Old 04-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Grey 250s
Senior User
Checked with wife; she said her best coping strategy was a high SPF sun screen, anti-histamine (Benadryl) and avoiding direct sun in early afternoon. Light fabric, long sleeves or shade.

Good luck and hang in there.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 AM
PreciousOne
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I am allergic to the sun!!!! I too break out in little white bumps AND THEY ITCH.....I was diagnosed as a child and it has turned into a milder reaction as I have gotten older, but I still develop blisters from time to time if I am over-exposed (even have scars to proove it).......therefore, I do take precautions.....I use the No-Ad SPF 50 baby sun-screen from Walmart (cheap and effective) MAKE SURE TO PUT IT ON AT LEAST 30 MINUTES BEFORE EXPOSURE!!!! I also use benadryl before going out into the sun, just in case.....try staying out of the sun from 10am - 2pm, when the UV rays are at their strongest.....be careful of reflective sunlight (water, cars, windows) when sitting in the shade, this is even sometimes stronger UV than direct......and if you HAVE to be out from 10-2, light-weight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothes works best!!!

Good Luck!!!! It is aggravating, but it can be managed......

Oh, and the sunlight in the winter is MUCH MORE damaging than in warmer weather, as you dont seem to feel the heat as quickly, and it can do more damage.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 AM
CretePumper
Senior User
I have pump operator who is allergic to the sun, he's in his late 40's and he's been that way since childhood, he too gets the little white bumps and the itches. Not sure how the man copes with it but he does, he's out in the sun for 10-15 hours a day he wears coveralls full-time, even when temps are 30*C+ humidity he doesn't really have any other option, I gave him the option to jump into sales, but he declined,he wants to be out there in the field, which is good because he's got 20+ years experience pumping concrete and is the best operator I have, but it's gotta be tough to deal with.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad and oldest sister have similar symptoms, although I don't know if it has been clinically diagnosed as an allergy to the sun. I usually get ichy or tender bumps the first few days that I loose the long sleeves in the spring, but they go away after a few days of consistent exposure.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:49 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would'nt say that I'm allergic to the sun per se (no white bumps, etc. as described above), but I do burn pretty easily and have had migraines because of the sun, and since I'm out in the sun pretty much any day it shines, I've always worn long sleeves and a full brimmed hat. With my looks, what I wear ain't gonna do me much good either way, and I'd sooner be prepared than not.