Sponsored by: Moser

New And Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:54 AM
G4mb1t
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New And Need Help

Hello to everyone! lol Im new to the classic world. Trying to start my first project, everything was going ok, on a budget saved up enough money to buy a running truck that i could drive but also work on at the same time, i thought it was a 76 ford f150 4x4 with a 390. But no matter what part i buy at the local auto part store i have to take it back (thermostat, Drive Shaft, U Joints thats it so far). Bought the u joints to find out that the male end of the yoke was bad with the female end. Took it to a local driveline shop in here and they told me they wanted 430 to fix it (its a spicer drive shaft and yoke on the old one). So cheap me was like no, went to local parts store *cough* Autozone *cough* and order one. got it in after 2 days. didnt put it in right away cuz i need the carrier bearing pressed on. got that yesterday and today i put the front half of the rear 2 piece drive line in. everything went prefectly, then got the drive shaft put it up to the rear mount of the differetial, and the litlle tabes that hold in the u joint caps one was right and on the other side it was about a inch short. Its to small width wise. the holes to put the u bolts didnt line up and im starting to wonder what my truck is. Could it possible be a rear axel swap or a body swap or what, im at a loss.

Can someone please help me, i rather not pay 430, but if it comes down to it i might have to. Thanks for any help, sorry for the story im kinda new

Ill be posting pictures of the engine and everything underneath soon.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:11 AM
duste
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE, nice looking old Ford you have. Because these trucks are now well over 30 yrs old , you may have a truck that parts have been changed with ones the may not be right but will work by a previous owner, like a 76 truck and a 79 rear end housing. Ford has a ton of different size yoke's, U joints , drive shafts and bearing that all came on the same series truck over the years, which can make getting the right parts the first time a pain. They do make U joints that are different sizes to allow for things like this, long on one side and short on the other. Your best bet is to take both U joints to the parts store and get them to mesure each one and they may be able to sell you one that will solve your troubles for about 20 bucks.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 PM
G4mb1t
Freshman User
yeah, its just all the auto parts stores down here are not good, we only have 2 really checkers or kragens, or autozone. both are horrible. i guess the process of identifying the parts is here to come. how can i tell which rear end i have? and i think i do have a 390 in it, but the title on the truck says f14yrcXXXXX and the y stands for 360. im so confused on where to start!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is there a tag on the rear end? You could measure the yoke and the drive shaft end and then take those measurements to the parts store and measure each U joint they have listed for the truck. And I agree, over the years things could and usually get replaced and/or swapped. Also, many people working in the parts stores nowadays don't know diddly squat and need everything including your shoe size in order for a computer to get the part and in many cases they are still wrong. I've learned to do some online shopping first to see what I can find and write down the part number to see if the local stores have anything.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:40 AM
G4mb1t
Freshman User
well i havent really looked yet, all i have done is trying to get the drive shaft done so it runs and i can get emissions and tags. And thats so true, they need your show size, pant size, and what t shirt you wear, we tired to call the store and get a cross reference on the drive shaft its a spicer, dont know the part number, but will be put it on here soon.

And i just wanted to say thank you for helping me out. And who ever post in here

Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
4x4cody
Senior User
welcome, and nice looking truck!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
79 f350ts
Posting Guru
i agree with doing your own research online and carrying a part number with you, counter people at chain stores dont know &*%#@ anymore. i asked one for a clutch for my 87 and they looked me right in the eye and asked "automatic or standard" rotfl

Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 PM
G4mb1t
Freshman User
LOL you think that is bad. i took the drive shaft back and where looking at all the years around 76 to maybe see if it was a different drive shaft of a different year. and the give was like sitting there trying to figure out how to spell drive shaft.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 PM
4x4cody
Senior User
how to spell drive shaft.
i asked one for a clutch for my 87 and they looked me right in the eye and asked "automatic or standard" rotfl

thats just great.. i havent experienced this yet with auto parts stores around here..

Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 PM
79 f350ts
Posting Guru
oh but you will. its just a matter of time,lol

Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
nice truck. You should have plenty of fun with it. and tears and money spent..but all in all ...GOOD TIMES. Someone could have changed out the rear end thinking they needed with larger tires. Should have numbers on it though.
WELCOME TO FTE

Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
G4mb1t
Freshman User
where would the numbers be

Old 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by G4mb1t
where would the numbers be

Old 04-11-2010, 06:45 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Right there! Good post

Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Parts store people crack me up! I have a guy at our local store I refuse to deal with much less talk to...I went in looking for motor mounts for my 351W I just dropped in my truck...had the 351M..."the only difference in the M & W are the locations they were manufactured..." the guy I normally deal with, who is actually a Ford Man, and knows what he is talking about...almost hit the floor in laughter...he had to apologize to the customer he was talking with because of it...needless to say if I call and that guy answers...I hang up and call back later! If the computer doesn't tell them...they haven't a clue! And good luck if you do have parts swapped out...that really throws the guys behind the counter for a loop...I have a '78 F100 with an 351W engine out of an '85 Econoline van...thankfully I have kept the one guy in the loop, so he just chuckles if someone ask to help me other than him...I politely tell NOPE and wait for him...Good looking truck...

Quick Reply: New And Need Help