Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My latest UOA - 320,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your UOA reports are too good and too consistent to be believable ...so I fear Blackstone has been faking them and pocketing your fees as pure profit! At least when I faked lab data in school ...I first calculated the correct answer ...and then I threw in a random error to account for measurement accuracy ...my how times have changed!

I've still got a lot of work to do on my UOA based wear model ...but if you compare your consistent 6 ppm Iron readings at 5K miles ...to the predicted 17 ppm Iron reading at 5K miles given by the "blue" curve on the graph in post #16 here... how meany km before oil change - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums ...you'll see that your wear rate is 11/17=0.65 or 65% less than the wear rate used to generate that "blue" curve ...which was the wear rate that corresponds to a uniform Bore increase of 0.00038" over the full length of the Stroke for each 100K miles traveled!

My understanding is that the "universal averages" on your report are the "averages" for all of the 7.3L engines tested ...but without knowing at least the "average OCI" for these engine's ...the "universal average" of 17 ppm for the Iron reading really doesn't give me much information on wear rate! Also the "unit averages" are supposed to be the "averages" for the 4 samples on your unit ...so how did Blackstone get a 9 ppm Iron reading as the "unit average" when you had three readings of 6 ppm and one reading of 7 ppm?

Another "complication" I've run into is that to use UOA ppm readings to "accurately" assess wear rate ...one needs to know what the VOA ppm readings are when you pour the new "Virgin" oil into the crankcase! For example here's some VOA reports on Rotella ...they all show a 4-6 ppm Silicon reading ...and I assume this reading is from polymeric methyl Silicone which is a common antifoam additive? However virgin Rotella having a consistent 2 ppm Iron reading is a mystery to me?

If we can get one person using each brand of oil to do a VOA on their brand and post the results ...then I'll compile them in a spreadsheet that can be used to compare with future UOAs from various brands. For example I've read about concerns of using Molybdenum as an anti-wear additive because it can settle out over time an gum up things like HEUI injectors ...and having a VOA-to-UOA comparison might help identify issues such as this?

Well I'm getting ready to break camp in a few days and head north ...so I'm not sure when I'll get around to starting that "all about UOA" thread I mentioned earlier...maybe I'll just start adding the "bits and pieces" that I've come up with so far to your thread?

When I reread my statement about your wear rate being 65% less ...I decided to see if my model really scales like that ...so I dialed in a new wear rate of... {(0.35)(0.00038")}=0.000133" Bore wear per 100K miles ...and as you can see below for that wear rate the new "blue" curve now predicts a 6 ppm Iron reading at 5K miles ...but what would your predicted wear rate be if your new Rotella had shown a 2 ppm Iron VOA reading at 0K miles? ...well that's a project I'll do after I move up the road!

After 5K miles a total Iron mass of 394.7 u-lbm has been worn away from your engine ...and 57.5% or 226.9 u-lbm of the total Iron mass is trapped in the oil filter ...and 42.5% or 167.7 u-lbm of the total Iron mass remains in the 28 lbm mass of crankcase oil ...and that gives an Iron ppm reading of... {(167.7 u-lbm)/(28 lbm)}=6.0 u-lbm/lbm!

As can be seen from the "red" curve ...if the oil filter had been operating in its "bypass mode" for the entire 5K miles you would've had a 14 ppm Iron reading ...and this point illustrates the complication that accurate wear estimates require accurate estimates of the oil filter's efficiency for capturing wear-metal particles which mostly have diameters less than 5 microns!

Hmm ...I forgot to take your 1 qt of make-up oil into account ...do you remember the miles into the OCI when it was added? If I had access to more details such as this ...and to Blackstone's historical data base ...I could produce much better wear estimates than Blackstone gives ...such as their comment that..."Your consistent oil change intervals in the 5,000 to 5,200-mile range have also played a role in the excellent test results your diesel is receiving." ...and their comment that the Navistar diesel is a good engine ...I could give a report that estimates the total u-lbm mass of each wear metal that was worn away from the engine during each OCI ...and also the u-lbm mass of each wear metal that remains in the oil filter ...and then the customers could send their oil filters to the special lab mentioned on the Blackstone site ...and have them analyzed to see if my wear estimates are correct ...or the customers could pull their engines and weigh them to see if I was right!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I have a VOA for both the Amsoil DEO 5w40 synthetic and the Schaeffer 5w40 synthetic, but they do not reflect the current offering from either company at this point because it was before both companies reformulated for the newer CJ-4 spec.

If I can remember and find the time, I'll try to dig them out for grins and giggles... but I'm not promising it will be in the next week or so.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The make up oil was added around 4,100 miles Gene. Right before a quick 1100 mile trip.

Neal gave me several VOA's a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can dig them back up.

Edit: Here's what I found for Rotella and Delvac. These are old numbers, so I don't know what changes have been made since then, but it's a start.

Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Chris, My last UOA was at about 265K, I only have mine tested about every 24-30K miles. At 199K miles with a 4700 mile OCI my moly showed 250, and my iron wear showed 9 this report was done by blackstone. At 227K miles with a 7200 mile OCI my moly showed 190, and my iron wear showed 7, this report was also by blackstone. At 265K on a 6120 mile OCI my moly showed 220, and my iron was 9, this report was done by scheafers. (Rich, sent me a couple of test kits to check the filtration of the AFE 6637. All reports state that I should run a longer OCI, but I really start getting uncomfortable at over 6K miles. I like my Delo, and I am sticking with it. I will send in another test at 300K in the next week or so, and we will see how it looks.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
i hope to get the miles some of you guys have

Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
Your UOA reports are too good and too consistent to be believable ...so I fear Blackstone has been faking them and pocketing your fees as pure profit! At least when I faked lab data in school ...I first calculated the correct answer ...and then I threw in a random error to account for measurement accuracy ...my how times have changed!
Just for you Gene. I know you've got your new thread going, so here are some new data points for you from my engine using a different lab. I'd be interested in hearing your comments on this.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
UOA 325.pdf (1.45 MB, 2825 views)
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Just for you Gene. I know you've got your new thread going, so here are some new data points for you from my engine using a different lab. I'd be interested in hearing your comments on this.
Wow Chris, that was one hell of a UOA report on your '02! Might be the best I have seen. Viscosity is holding very well for Rotella. Probably could hit 7,500 before the viscosity drops down to the 30 weight range (12.5 CST).

How has everyone been? I've been off planet for a while!

Rich

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Viscosity is holding very well for Rotella. Probably could hit 7,500 before the viscosity drops down to the 30 weight range (12.5 CST).
Rich
Try to triple that. Rotella after 10,000 holds13.64.
The Blackstone gave me the "Try 12,000 on the oil" advise.
Right now I put Mobil 1 synthetic and am really planning to take their advise and even exceed it.
How do you cut Adobe file? Would like to post my report here, but don't know how to erase my name on it.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Gene,

I sincerely hope the above portion of your post was said in jest!

Are you seriously calling the business practices of Blackstone Laboratories into question?

Pop

Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Try to triple that. Rotella after 10,000 holds13.64.
The Blackstone gave me the "Try 12,000 on the oil" advise.
I am currently changing my Delo at about 18,000 as that is the point that Blackstone determines the viscosity drops into the high 30's.

Three bypass filters and maybe three or four quarts also go into that OCI.

Pop

Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
...Your UOA reports are too good and too consistent to be believable ...so I fear Blackstone has been faking them and pocketing your fees as pure profit! At least when I faked lab data in school ...I first calculated the correct answer ...and then I threw in a random error to account for measurement accuracy ...my how times have changed!...
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Gene,

I sincerely hope the above portion of your post was said in jest!

Are you seriously calling the business practices of Blackstone Laboratories into question?

Pop
Well when I made that above statement it was in jest ...but since making it I've done several months of research and analysis on UOA ...and I now think that statement isn't quite so "humorous" as I originally intended!

Read post #20 here... 7.3 oil question....... - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums ...to see why getting the exact same UOA Iron ppm reading from one OCI to the next would naturally raise some questions concerning lab accuracy!

...Well even though I plan to switch from Cat to Blackstone for my next UOA ...I certainly won't heed any of the "bad advice" I've seen in the "comments" section of so many of their UOA reports ...many of their comments seem to be intended to make the customer "feel good" about having invested $ in a UOA report ...and they encourage the customer to spend more $ on additional UOAs and less $ on oil changes!...
The details supporting the above conclusion can be found in post #15 here... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...7-3l-psds.html ...and before anyone extends their OCI beyond the Ford recommended 3K to 5K-mile maximum OCI depending on the number of miles spent towing I suggest reading that entire thread and looking at the graph following the above conclusion which shows that engines with more wear due to extended OCIs produce less RWHP!

Please read my analysis of the Blackstone UOA report in the above mentioned "post #15" where I state my reasons why Blackstone gave "bad advice" to that customer!

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I am currently changing my Delo at about 18,000 as that is the point that Blackstone determines the viscosity drops into the high 30's.

Three bypass filters and maybe three or four quarts also go into that OCI.

Pop
In case anyone thinks the above strategy is a good one for maximizing the life expectancy of their engine please read my rebuttals starting in post #9 here... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-question.html ...and continuing in posts #12, #22, #25, #26, & #27!

...Almost everyone seems to think that they can "safely" run extended OCIs by using "synthetic oils" and/or "by-pass filters" however many 7.3L PSD owners who've tried this experienced poor UOAs and increased engine wear!

I also think that especially when towing up a long grade on a hot day that diverting 10% or more of the LOP flow just to feed a by-pass filter is a bad thing to do because when the engine is under a maximum load all of the LOP flow is needed to supply the HPOP and to lubricate critical engine parts and to cool the pistons!...

Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"We are all humans"
When I send the first oil sample to Blackstone I didn't disclosure the mileage on it, because I know that would affect their summary.
Now the Motorcraft oil after 5000 miles come almost the same what Rotella after 10,000. Blackstone opinion is that the Motorcraft was used for much longer than standard 5000 miles, so laboratory tests will not give you independent data you might wish for. Still the info you give them beside the test is making big change in final conclusion.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
...so laboratory tests will not give you independent data you might wish for...
On the referenced thread I said...

...A good lab that operates in accordance with the... ASTM D5185 - 09 Standard Test Method for Determination of Additive Elements, Wear Metals, and Contaminants in Used Lubricating Oils and Determination of Selected Elements in Base Oils by Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectrometry (ICP-AES) ...should provide reliable "individual absolute values" that can be used in any manner that the customer so desires...
...and a physical "oil sample" is the "only information" that's required to get accurate "individual absolute values" of UOA parameters!

...Still the info you give them beside the test is making big change in final conclusion...
Yes in order to relate these "UOA parameters" to "wear-rate" the lab does need to know "additional information" including the miles on the sample being tested, the amount of oil in the engine when the sample was taken, and how much if any make-up oil was added during the sample mileage.

My criticism of Blackstone in the referenced post #15 is that they knew the "additional information" and based on the "Iron ppm" reading they still gave "bad advice" to that customer! Of course if Blackstone doesn't know the "additional information" that's required to give sound technical advice then I don't think they should be giving any advice at all!

...For example this Blackstone report shows a UOA "Iron ppm" reading of 33 ppm at 5.8K-miles traveled ...and since there's no previous data on this truck the "Unit Averages" are just equal to the "UOA Values" and comparing these to the "Universal Averages" indicates that "normal" wear is occurring in this engine.

Referring to the above WR# graph this data point of 33 ppm Iron reading at 5.8K-miles traveled falls exactly on the WR#6 curve ...and a WR#"6" indicates a wear-rate equal to "6" Iron BBs worth of "Iron mass" for each "25K-miles" traveled ...which is also a wear-rate of "6"/5 Iron BB per "5K-miles" traveled ...and is a wear-rate of (6/5)(5.8/5)="1.39 Iron BBs" for the actual 5.8K-miles traveled.

Well if I were writing the "comments" in this report I would've said... In total your UOA data indicates that "normal" wear is occurring in your engine ...but on a "normal" wear-rate scale from #1 to #6 your engine is wearing at a the "maximum" #6 rate which might be due to towing with a chip and as can be seen in the graph below...

...your 33 ppm Iron reading at 5.8K-miles is 2 "Standard Deviations" higher than the "Average" for that mileage ...and this means that only 2.5% of the 7.3L PSDs in our database have a 33 ppm Iron reading at 5.8K-miles ...and therefore we suggest shorting your OCI to 3.0K miles ...because fresher oil is cleaner oil and clean oil causes less wear than dirty oil!

If you read the "actual" comments in this report you'll see that the first sentence says ..."Wear looks good in the first sample from your F350."... and that the last sentence says ..."Try ~7,500 miles next time and check back for another look at wear."...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting Chris. good stuff. I ordered my kit from blackstone, and will be doing my first UOA on my Rotella.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I also think that especially when towing up a long grade on a hot day that diverting 10% or more of the LOP flow just to feed a by-pass filter is a bad thing
Where did the figure of ten percent originate? Though I cannot verify for sure, I suspect that I am diverting far less, and within any margin of safety. That filter has a pretty-small oriface.

I have pretty-good iron wear numbers despite long OCIs. See:
http://springerpop.net/F350/images/Blackstone1.jpg
The 22ppm iron is after 19.5K.

I am not advocating anyone else follow my OCIs.

But it works for me...

Pop

Quick Reply: My latest UOA - 320,000 miles