1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removable Floor Anchor Points

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Removable Floor Anchor Points

I posted this request on another part of the site in an existing thread but didn't get what I was looking for so decided to in my comfort area.

I am looking for a threaded anchor mount that would be flush mount on the wood floor so I can screw in a eye or bolt something down to it. The rest of the time I can put a bolt or something in the hole to keep the threads clean. It would need a plate or something underneath for strength.

Seems like I have seen these in member trucks (of course I didn't think I needed them then). I have searched, with what I thought was obvious terms on Google, but not found anything.

I got an idea on how to make something but would rather not reinvent, if what I need is already out there.

Ideas, pointers?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Something along these lines maybe?

McMaster-Carr

Bobby

Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Julianos(sp) has anchor plates for the floor and for the door brace area for 3pt.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM
skuzzel_butt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bed bolts

i think these are more what your looking for.

Bedbolts | Bed Anchor with Removable Eye Bolt

joe

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Joe,

Wow, those are pretty cool

Bobby

Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by skuzzel_butt
i think these are more what your looking for.

Bedbolts | Bed Anchor with Removable Eye Bolt

joe
Yep that looks like what I need, by adding a bigger plate or washer on the bottom they should do great.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some reason I was thinking of something that was flush with the bed wood surface,
I don't think most folks with a finish on their oak beds will choose to haul old leaky transmissions, or broken cinder blocks and chunks of concrete to the dump..but would like to secure say ..a cooler,maybe a couple of lawn chairs to a car show or bar-b-que,and don't like the idea of scratching/denting painted bedsides or a nice finish on wood...I save the rough stuff for the cheby..but, there is a need to secure things on an otherwise flat surface.Any fast turns,sudden stops,shifting of weight, holds the potential for damage.
I've looked at the flush mounted folding "D" rings used in the Marine/boat industry,they would suit the need.,check-out Bass Pro Shop,,but they're not spring loaded 'closed; and would rattle..I don't know if your would hear that or not at 30-50 mph.,and they secure(with some work) on top of the surface..slightly raised.
I do like the idea of using 3/4-1" steel bar,drilling/tapping it to fit the eye-bolts,welding a 3" plate to the bottom and flush- mounting the whole thing thru a3/4" hole from underneath one of the plank bed-boards.If the bar is tapped completly thru ,it would drain, if built flush with the bed..it would not look out of place (if spaced across bed floor evenly), and would look good chromed.
There's another project....you could stash the eye-bolts behind the seat when not in use...Good idea's folk's Thank's!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm I have two of those in my truck cab! They are definately stock and under the back side corner of the seat......Anyone else have any?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 AM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by cmoritz
For some reason I was thinking of something that was flush with the bed wood surface,
I don't think most folks with a finish on their oak beds will choose to haul old leaky transmissions, or broken cinder blocks and chunks of concrete to the dump..but would like to secure say ..a cooler,maybe a couple of lawn chairs
I can say till they actually show up and I can look at them but I plant to slightly countersink the hole so the shoulder drops to bed level. They mention screw in plugs in the video for when the eyes are not installed, you can sort of see them in the small pictures.

My stake truck has a rough oak floor painted black, it may even be the original floor. If it gets to rough looking another coat of black paint will takes care of it. I plan to haul a small antique tractor on the back for a few shows and/or a display engine. Other than that I will have a small removable winch bolted down and a couple of storage boxes. I don't use my old trucks for real work but they are not beauty queens either.

I was going to make something like cmoritz described if I couldn't find something already made for the purpose.

I'll post pictures and show what they look like installed once I get them.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Well I ordered 8 Bedbolts | Bed Anchor with Removable Eye Bolt on Friday afternoon and they showed up in todays mail, good service. I ordered the 3/8" and 1/2" size 4 of each. Here are some pictures of the actual bolts. I'll probably install the four 1/2" bolts later this week, not sure where I want the 3/8" bolts yet. I'll post more pictures with them installed.

Be sure if you order them that you note that the load rating they give is listed as break strength not work load strength. The 1/2" are rated at 860lbs work load and the 3/8" are 460lb work load. Since I plan to use 4 of the 1/2" to tie down an 800lb tractor I should be good. Some of the pictures on the website show a tapered flange on top and others a straight. The actual shipped pieces are straight so they will countersink nicely. The plugs that go in when the eyes are not installed are black plastic, so if I paint the cadmium plated collar black they will mostly disappear in my black bed when the plugs are installed.

The eyes are standard SAE course threads. The 1/2" requires a 3/4" hole to install the 3/8" needs a 5/8" hole.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Cool

Thanks for posting the pics. I can't wait to see them installed

Bobby

Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Installed

Weather turned cold again so progress slowed down.

I got the 1/2" BedBolts installed and painted. I but a piece of perforated angle across the bottom to tie in more boards for the anchors. I countersunk them in so when the plug is in they are close to flush.

For now I just touched up the BedBolt area, after I figure out where I want the four 3/8" BB and get them installed I will probably repaint the whole deck.

The second picture shows the plastic plug out of the hole. If I can find a 1/2" round headed bolt I may switch to that instead of the plastic plug. Black anodized would be best.