Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Sloenoid Pack E4OD

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 AM
BBslider002
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Sloenoid Pack E4OD

Anyone done this? Is it a fairly easy job for intermediate home mechanics or is it a job for a tranny shop? I have the blinking OD light and other symptoms. Tranny works great until that light starts blinking, then it shifts hard as hell. Thanks...

Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Why do you think it is the solenoid pack?
Have you ran the KOEO self-test to see if they are bad?
Does your speedometer and odometer work along with the ABS lamp being off?
You could have a bad ABS module, VSS sensor or PSOM.
Could also be the TR sensor.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
BBslider002
Junior User
well, I pulled a code and got one for the EGR and one for the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. I have not ran a self test. i am not sure how to do that. I am new to these trucks. Speedo working, no ABS lamp, and all else is in working order other than the blinking OD light and the code I pulled.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
If you got codes for the EGR and Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid you ran the self-test.

For the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid error it could be the solenoid in the pack or wiring and plugs.
But I would not think this solenoid would cause hard shifting but it may if the PCM quits using the VSS input and stops using the solenoids and lets the transmission shift on its own from this error.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 AM
BBslider002
Junior User
No one else has any input on this? Really?

Subford, are you saying I need to check wring and plugs on the outside or would this still be on the inside. And back to my original question. Is this a hard job to do myself, or is it a job for a tranny shop?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes you can change it yourself, not difficult to do and does not require any special tools.

As stated above you need to do some tests before replacing the pack, I'd hate to see you spend the 90 bucks + on one and the time to change it only to have the same problem in the end.

You need to test that circuit first, the wire running from the computer to the Converter Clutch Solenoid, it would be suspect well before a failed pack or the CCS within it.

If you search this forum you will find plenty of detailed information on how to go about testing everything first, if you try and fail to find it let us/me know, I post it again for you.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM
BBslider002
Junior User
Thanks for the reply. I have searched and am not finding any info on testing . I have found threads here and there, but nothing comprehensive. If you would not mind reposting, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be looking at it this weekend. I can't believe that the pack is that cheap . I looked at them om EBay and it seemed they anywhere from $250-400. I am changing the pan to one with a drain plug, so I may just change it out then if needed after wire testing. It is amazing though how many things I have gotten to work on this truck by just taking apart, cleaning, and putting back together (washer pump, lighter/charger, dome lights, etc...)

Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Here are some threads to use as a guide, the underlying problem may not be the same but the methods used to locate the problem will be the similar.

Continuity testing, and wiring diagrams, computer and solenoid pack connector pin layouts,

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...dy-change.html

Damaged wires example,

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-4x4-e4od.html

I'm gonna look for additional threads, may or may not find the one I'm looking for, but If you need more to go on or have any questions just ask.

At this point I doubt you need a replacement pack, with these trucks and their wiring it is far more likely to be a simple connection problem before a failed solenoid in the pack itself. Impossible no but unlikely, start simple check the connections.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll jump on the wiring band wagon, I had my TCC unlock randomly in bad weather till I pulled the solenoid pack harness and cleaned and dielectric-greased the connector, never had an issue again. There are a few more harness connectors on the driver-side of the trans, and then there may be some more up by the firewall near the PCM, clean and pack all of them good.

On your question about replacing the solenoid pack, it's a fairly easy job, just drop the trans pan and unbolt the pack and swap it out. You'll need torx bits for the solenoid pack bolts, and regular hex sockets for the trans pan bolts. Make sure you reinstall the little heat shield next to the harness connector when you put everything back together. This is also a great opportunity for you to install a drain plug on the trans pan if it ain't got one already.

All that said, what codes exactly are you getting? The TCC code may be for the solenoid in the pack, but it's also very possible that the converter itself has wiped the clutch causing excessive slipping which will also read as a code... Post the code numbers please.