1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vent Window Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vent Window Removal

I'm having troubles removing my vent windows from my '51 for f3 pickup. I need to replace the vent seal but not the glass...the glass is fine. I've removed the door glass, division bar and the four screws from the old seal. What do I do after that? I still cant get the vent window out. I've even removed the nut and spring on the bottom pivot but that didn't seem to help.

I have a shop manual but it doesn't really tell you how to remove it. It shows a couple pictures but something isn't right. Anyone know the step by step process or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong. I think it would have been best to just leave the old seals in it!

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think that you're doing anything wrong. Last time (more than a year ago) when I disassembled the doors completely, the vent windows came out easily.

Are your seals glued to the door? They might also be stuck from age. Have you tried soaking them with some lubrication and prying the seals lightly around the eges?

The vent window assembly should slide out, you may need to wiggle it, after you've disassembled the parts like you already have.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I don't think that you're doing anything wrong. Last time (more than a year ago) when I disassembled the doors completely, the vent windows came out easily.

Are your seals glued to the door? They might also be stuck from age. Have you tried soaking them with some lubrication and prying the seals lightly around the eges?

The vent window assembly should slide out, you may need to wiggle it, after you've disassembled the parts like you already have.

I ripped out the old vent seals already because I thought I would be able to get the vent window out. Actually the vent seals came out easy. What doesn't make sense to me is how the window is supposed to come out if the upper pivot is still attached to the window. In the shop manual it shows a picture pulling the vent window upward and out. But it doesn't tell you much more than that. Is there a way to release the window from the upper pivot?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You would remove the two sheet metal screws holding the top pivot pin, and remove the pivot pin. If it is riveted on, you need to drill out the rivets and reassemble with short sheet metal screws (#6 x 1/4 I think - use stainless steel)

Then remove the nut, spring, and washers on the lower stem - BE SURE TO NOTE THE ORDER YOU TOOK THEM OFF!

Turn the window slightly as though you were going to open it and then pull it straight up and out. The lower stem will come up through the frame. There is another thick washer (actually the pivot stop) that will fall out as you pull the stem out - watch for it to fall out.

There is a VERY thin washer on the lower pivot that may have pulled itself into the lower fram hole - something to check. Also, there is a square retainer on the lower shaft. The lower hole is square. They have to be aligned in order to pull apart. See the second close up pic.

Here's a picture or two just FYI. First is out of the Body Parts Catalogue; Second one is of the top pivot assembly and the two screws; and, the third is of the lower pivot, spring and washers. If you take the top pivot off , and disassemble the lower assembly and it still won't pull apart, place the nut half way back on UPSIDE DOWN (so you don't peen the locking head end) the lower pivot shaft and VERY GENTLY tap it out with a hammer. The retainer or washers may have bound up on the shaft but make sure the square holes are aligned!:

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 12634
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 6935
Size:  196.9 KB

Name:  I Wind Wing Spring Assembly.jpg
Views: 8583
Size:  74.2 KB

Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Thanks! This helps a lot. The only question I have left is how do I remove the two sheet metal screws that are holding the upper pivot in? The screws were screwed in from the top of the door somehow so I don't have access to the head of the screw to unscrew them. Do I need to take something else off the door to get to the top of these screws?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 617 Likes on 383 Posts
Anyone got a loose frame that can take pictures of the screw locations in the frame?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Flathead 51
Thanks! This helps a lot. The only question I have left is how do I remove the two sheet metal screws that are holding the upper pivot in? The screws were screwed in from the top of the door somehow so I don't have access to the head of the screw to unscrew them. Do I need to take something else off the door to get to the top of these screws?
Oh, well, that's probably why you are having problems. You need to remove the entire wind wing frame and window with the divider bar from the door of the truck in order to separate them and replace the rubber seal.

How the heck did you get the lower nut off with it still in the truck?

I have the wing out of the truck that I took the picture of Ross. What do we need a picture of again?

Edit Note. Like these? It shows the hole locations on the bottom - hope it helps:

Name:  Vent Window Holes 1.jpg
Views: 8303
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  Vent Window Holes 2.jpg
Views: 9106
Size:  95.1 KB

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
That's it, 4 holes total, thanks Julie

Old 03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Thanks Julie for these pictures. This helps a lot because I now realized that I think I missed one of the screws that holds the entire wind wing frame in place. So that's why it's not coming out...at least I hope. I know I removed three of them but not four. I assume in the pictures the four holes you pointed out represents where four screws would go? I'm going to work on this tomorrow so I will let you know the outcome.

To answer the lower nut question...I got it out by getting my arm half way up the inside of the door and using a extension on a socket. The hard way!

Also I got new vent seals from LMC but I don't like them. They don't look like the originals and I'm wondering if I'll have troubles with how they fit. I did find some seals from another parts place that are exact replicas of the original ones but twice as much. Any thoughts on this?

Again thank you for all your help in this post and others. I'm learning a lot from a number of knowledgeable individuals on this website, including yourself.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Oh, well, that's probably why you are having problems. You need to remove the entire wind wing frame and window with the divider bar from the door of the truck in order to separate them and replace the rubber seal.

How the heck did you get the lower nut off with it still in the truck?

I have the wing out of the truck that I took the picture of Ross. What do we need a picture of again?

Edit Note. Like these? It shows the hole locations on the bottom - hope it helps:

Attachment 21456

Attachment 21457

Old 03-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Thanks again for your help on this too Ross!

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
That's it, 4 holes total, thanks Julie

Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Did you get it out?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
I got it out! I was actually doing everything right and had all the screws out. I just wasn't pulling hard enough on the wing frame. The top part of the wing frame was stuck and wouldn't pull out so I thought there was another screw somewhere. But after everyone's help I figured it out and gently pried it out. So basically it just needed more FORCE!

Thanks again for your help!

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Did you get it out?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I'm still laughing thinking about you sticking your arm all the way up there to get that nut off! Glad you didn't get STUCK!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just use the FORCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:06 AM
dreamtruckf100
New User
Hi, NICE layout of the vent window, would you or anyone else have the same type of picture and parts list for a 1966 f100 vent window parts diagrams are impossible to find and I made a BIG boo boo by taking it apart and not taking a photo first plus the some of the part are worn. My biggest problem though is how to put it back together.

Thanks all

Quick Reply: Vent Window Removal