Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS

Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 AM
DSMMH
Posting Guru
DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DznyRulz View Post
I finally got the plug out, they weren't kidding about it holding well, and got the panel off. I found the wires. Both wires are in one plug. I believe its pin 4 that has the wire for the running boards and pin 13 has the wire for the interior lights. I cut the wire to pin 4 first and naturally, with my luck, the interior lights continued to burn bright so I cut the other wire and darkness came. I was only hoping to cut one wire but oh well. I butt connected the wires but then ran out of time. I'm trying to get this done with what little daylight I have left when I return home and in between rain and snow. We're expecting a few inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so hopefully I can finish up this weekend. At least the hard part is done, running the new wires and installing the switch is the easy part. I'll snap a few pics later.

Many thanks guys.

Chris
I had the same problem. Dome lights on all the time. Went into the instrument cluster wire harness and put in a switch until I could fix it.

Changed the "delay accessory" relay (#306) and that fixed my problem. Also, check fuse # 42 (delayed accessory).

An easy way to check, if the relay is the problem, is to swap relays #306 and #305. Shut the door and lights should go out after timer does it's thing (about 15 to 20 seconds).

You can fix the relay. Pop the top off and clean the black residue off the contacts. I removed the spring and the pivot arm so I could clean the contacts good and check for pitting. If the contacts are pitted, recommend getting a new relay.

DSMMH

Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 PM
DznyRulz
Freshman User
DznyRulz is starting off with a positive reputation.
DSMMH,

I think you misread what I was trying to accomplish. I don't have a problem with the delayed accessory feature, that works quite well. When we're camping, actually setting up or breaking camp, I'm in and out of the truck often. That, and keeping the rear door open for extended periods, means the interior lights can be on for quite some time. With an override switch I can turn them off when desired and turn them on when needed. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Chris

Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
DznyRulz
Freshman User
DznyRulz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, it looks like my selective color blindness was acting up again yesterday. When looking at the wiring going into the plug I could've sworn that there were two BK/LB wires. Looking at it again today when the sun was shining a bit brighter, and with fresh batteries in my flashlight, I see that one wire, the first one I cut, was actually brown with the light blue stripe. In fact it looks like the same wire I mistakenly cut at the CJB. Since there wasn't much room for forgiveness I spliced it with a short length of 16ga. wire. If you look close at the top connections you can see the one on the left is black and the one on the right is brown.

Name:  ThuFeb25202412AmericaNew_York2010.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  49.9 KB

For future reference, the BK/LB wire runs into the plug on the left. Naturally the one that's harder to get out.

Name:  ThuFeb25202500AmericaNew_York2010.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  55.8 KB

I connected the wiring to the BK/LB wire for the switch. I tried the switch and it works! Finally! Now all I have to do is run the wires under the dash and install the switch. I still don't know what the brown/light blue stripe wire is for but now I have two places to look if something stops working. This will be a welcome mod. I just wish I had a garage to work in instead of in my parking space out front.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Chris

Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
DSMMH
Posting Guru
DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DznyRulz View Post
DSMMH,

I think you misread what I was trying to accomplish. I don't have a problem with the delayed accessory feature, that works quite well. When we're camping, actually setting up or breaking camp, I'm in and out of the truck often. That, and keeping the rear door open for extended periods, means the interior lights can be on for quite some time. With an override switch I can turn them off when desired and turn them on when needed. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Chris
Yeah, I did. My bad!

My interior lights came on and would not go out. Real dangerous driving at night. Had to pull the dome light fuse and in doing so, I lost my instrument panel and radio but I got home. Could not figure out right away so I went into the instrument cluster and found the wire and installed a circuit breaker to kill the lights. My fix was what I wrote in the previous response.

DSMMH

Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru
njneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to all
Does anyone have the link to Monsta's instructions ?? Searched and couldn 't find it.....want to do this to my 2000 and need the wire color and location

Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 AM
bigrigmike
Senior User
bigrigmike is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just did this, this morning and it took about 20mins if that. but i ran my toggle switch in to the glove box. NOW I HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER MY DOME AND RUNNING BOARD LIGHT'S (in a evil laugh) HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:16 PM
wallz
Postmaster
wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by njneer1 View Post
Does anyone have the link to Monsta's instructions ?? Searched and couldn 't find it.....want to do this to my 2000 and need the wire color and location

I know this is from a few days ago, but I thought that I would find and post the link. Hopefully it is still usefull, and I think that if you are like a lot of other guys you still have to get it done, so this will help.
Again this is for the 2000 X's, as the 02 and up have the wires in the passenger kick panel, under the fuel cut off switch.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...5-xlt-dsl.html

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru
njneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to all
Thanks Wallz !!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
mark996
Senior User
mark996 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mark996 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wanted to post another successful override here. A few no-brainer tips...don't use duct tape, and use the female spade connectors on the switch if you can. I just put the switch in the glove box, drilled a small hole and screwed it down, it's out of the way, and easily accessible. Thanks guys.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 AM
SCourtney
New User
SCourtney is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did this mod last night in my 98 Expy directly behind the fuse panel. I have the correct BK/LB wires run to my switch and it kills the interior and running board lights.

My problem is that the associated relay is activating/clicking on/off and will not stop. Could I have a bad relay??

Old 11-25-2010, 09:12 PM
9mpg
Senior User
9mpg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9mpg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
Wanted to post another successful override here. A few no-brainer tips...don't use duct tape, and use the female spade connectors on the switch if you can. I just put the switch in the glove box, drilled a small hole and screwed it down, it's out of the way, and easily accessible. Thanks guys.
I'm thinking I'll put my switch between the dimmer and headlight switch... sort of like my 2001 Chevy Express 3500 work van. (I have never been a Chevy Guy, but I am impressed that it is at 313k and still going strong...35k of that in the last 6 months)

Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 PM
mark996
Senior User
mark996 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mark996 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Funny this thread came back, today I was thinking about placing my switch somewhere more accessible from the driver side, like a toggle on the bottom area of the center console, or some other place on the dash. Who knows.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Rickx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is how I delt with it.

ByPass Door Ajar
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This will accomplish what you want. This is an '03.

I've had my X since it was new. I got it 2002. I had a 2000 model I bought new before that. I had a 1997 F150 with the same problem. I've been dealing with this a long time. I finally decided to make a bypass and give myself options for when it happens.

I removed the instrument panel and spliced a wire into the Black / Light blue wire. This wire is located on the connector furthest toward the passenger side. It is the only wire of this color anywhere on the instrument panel. I ran that wire through a toggle switch that I mounted in the dash just to the right of the headlight switch.

Now I control the interior and running board lights with the flip of a switch.

If a door jamb switch malfunctions, I just turn off the lights manually.
If I want to leave the doors open when I'm camping or for any reason, I just flip the switch.

If the door ajar switches are working correctly I just leave the switch in the on position.

If they are malfunctioning, I just turn on the switch as I am entering the X and then turn it off when I'm ready to roll.

The reading lights and the cargo light in the back still operate normally regardless of this switch position.

This is the best thing I've done yet to the X.
<!-- / message -->

Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 PM
shadetreetx
Freshman User
shadetreetx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just did this mod for a long trip with a 2.5yo & 6 week old. I have it hanging out of the garbage hook for the moment. Any idea what is next to the power plug above the cup holders on the dash? Can I install it there?
Thanks

02 X 4x4 7.3 Ultimate

Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
I took a stab at the over ride switch today, getting bruised knuckles in that tiny space. I have a 2000 Ex and have shared 4 picture in my 'various' album. Can someone tell if I'd ID'd the right wire? Seems more blue than black. i guess i can just cut and see what happens...

Thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.