Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/932697-dome-light-override-switch-oops.html)

DznyRulz 02-21-2010 04:52 PM

Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS

3 Attachment(s)
Oops is right. In fact I think this deserves its own thread. Using Monsta's directions and being encouraged with the answers William_04_X provided to my questions in this thread I set out to install a dome light override switch. I pulled out the CJB as best as I could and looked for the black wire with the light blue stripe. I finally found one on the left/middle side. I'd read that there were two wires but I figured since I didn't have the lighted running boards I only had one wire. I cut it using quite a bit of force. That should have been a clue and I should have stopped but I'm slow on the uptake. It turns out the wire I cut was a 12 or 10 gauge wire not a thinner gauge like most of the other wires. It must be for something important and power hungry since it's so thick. Anyways the interior lights didn't go out. I figured I couldn't do too much more harm so I started pulling the connectors out one at a time until the interior lights went out. I found the connector, pictured below, that when pulled the interior lights went out. This must be the one so I can stop pulling connectors. If you pull the CJB straight out and look at the back its the connector to the left of the one that has the interesting, rounded finger pull type lock.

Attachment 223472

Interestingly enough there are no BK/LB wires going into this connector. There are 9 wires going into this 12 pin connector but I don't see pin numbers anywhere. They are, starting with the top right position and moving down in a zig zag:
Blue w orange stripe
Black w green stripe
Empty
Brown
Light orange w white stripe
Red w yellow stripe
Green w black stripe
Empty
Thick green
Green w red stripe
Gray w orange stripe
Empty

Attachment 223473

Instead of just cutting wires to find which one makes the lights go out I'm hoping someone can tell me which one is the correct wire. I'd sure appreciate it. By the way, I butt connected the big wire I cut, first picture, upper right corner, and started up the Ex and every thing seemed to be working OK. At least if something does stop working I have a good idea what it might be.

Chris
Attachment 223474

william_04_x 02-21-2010 06:56 PM

Hard to tell and we have different model year trucks.. looks like you have connector C270b in your hand.. If you can test the circuit with a test light you'd be in better shape.. Without it, if the pin I have circled has a BLK/LG wire behind it, I'd try that one first..

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/1cd97545.jpg

william_04_x 02-21-2010 06:59 PM

Have you identified the exact fuse that controls the lights yet?

DznyRulz 02-21-2010 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by william_04_x (Post 8545692)
If you can test the circuit with a test light you'd be in better shape.. Without it, if the pin I have circled has a BLK/LG wire behind it, I'd try that one first..

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/1cd97545.jpg

Yes, that's the black wire with green stripe. Inexperienced person's question: Any idea on how I use a test light on that? I've used one on the fuse side to check which circuit was only turned on with the ignition on ACC or ON but that's the extent of my test light experience.

Originally Posted by william_04_x (Post 8545709)
Have you identified the exact fuse that controls the lights yet?

I've looked all through Ford's manual and I couldn't find a fuse listed dome lights, interior lights or anything close. My neighbor suggested the fuse for cigar lighter but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

wallz 02-22-2010 01:40 AM

UHHG! I think from the fuse box the wiring for the lights go into and thru the delay switch, which they then change colours coming out.

I think you are using Monsta's instructions that he used and wrote up for his 2000 that he used to have and did this on. The wiring is a little swapped on the later years.

On my 02 I found the wires I needed under the kick panel on passenger side. Take off the door trim panel and then the kick panel on the passenger side and dig out the black/light blue wires. That is where you should find the two of them.

I ran wires up the column to the upper console and added my switch there. Here is what I did with the switch local. Right in between the rear quarter panel switches.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...pictureid=4403

DznyRulz 02-22-2010 10:11 AM

Thanks Wallz, I'll give that a look see. That's a nice install job you did but too much work for what I'm looking for. BTW, nice fish. At least I think it's a fish. I'm typing this on my Droid so the pictue is smaller than a postage stamp.

Chris

wallz 02-22-2010 09:03 PM

Not to long for a nice job and still easy. Either way you still spend 1/2 hr, and at least this way it still looks decent.
Yep, nice west coast halibut, right around 85 lbs.

DznyRulz 02-23-2010 03:54 PM

The kick panel, I'm assuming, is in the footwell on the passenger side by the fuel switch, a triangular sort of panel. There appears to be something holding it on like a button or plug. Does this pop off or pull out? I see wiring harness attached to the frame right by the bottom door hinge and I think I see the target BK/LB wire. Could this be it?

Chris
Written on my Droid

wallz 02-23-2010 06:53 PM

Yes, that is the panel by the fuel shut off. It is just a push in plug, but that said they hold pretty darn well, and you may want a tool to use to get it out. Pulling just on the panel usually results in a broken pc.

william_04_x 02-23-2010 10:49 PM

I know I've read about the wire being in the kick panel before. That one will just shut off the interior dome lighting.. There have been other threads where guys wanted the running board lights to stay off also.. That's the reason for catching the circuit at the CJB..

Try fuse 35 and see if it kills the lights..

wallz 02-23-2010 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by william_04_x (Post 8556786)
I know I've read about the wire being in the kick panel before. That one will just shut off the interior dome lighting.. There have been other threads where guys wanted the running board lights to stay off also.. That's the reason for catching the circuit at the CJB..

There are two wires that you cut and splice into, one for the int. lights and the other for the running boards. Just don't ask why they are running together in that area, but you get them there.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

neilc88 02-24-2010 02:55 PM

Kick panel is where I found the wire.

DznyRulz 02-24-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by william_04_x (Post 8556786)

Pulling fuse 35 did kill the lights but it also killed the instrument cluster. That's why I didn't try it before, the manual only lists it as instrument cluster.

Chris

DznyRulz 02-24-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by wallz (Post 8555319)
Yes, that is the panel by the fuel shut off. It is just a push in plug, but that said they hold pretty darn well, and you may want a tool to use to get it out. Pulling just on the panel usually results in a broken pc.

I finally got the plug out, they weren't kidding about it holding well, and got the panel off. I found the wires. Both wires are in one plug. I believe its pin 4 that has the wire for the running boards and pin 13 has the wire for the interior lights. I cut the wire to pin 4 first and naturally, with my luck, the interior lights continued to burn bright so I cut the other wire and darkness came. I was only hoping to cut one wire but oh well. I butt connected the wires but then ran out of time. I'm trying to get this done with what little daylight I have left when I return home and in between rain and snow. We're expecting a few inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so hopefully I can finish up this weekend. At least the hard part is done, running the new wires and installing the switch is the easy part. I'll snap a few pics later.

Many thanks guys.

Chris

william_04_x 02-24-2010 08:04 PM

Glad you got it. Great job on the save wallz.. :-drink