Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CA smog testing

Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA smog testing

So has anyone had to smog there diesels yet? I have heard that the pyro meter will fail the test because its a mod to the exaust. we cant have any mods to the computer either.

time to move the registration to anouther state.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A friend mine that lives in Vacaville CA regristered hers in Texas at a certain someone's address....

Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 AM
piotrsko
Elder User
[quote=rckrwlr;8540103]So has anyone had to smog there diesels yet? I have heard that the pyro meter will fail the test because its a mod to the exaust. we cant have any mods to the computer either.

Generally it is up to the testing station to determine what is a complying vehicle. Either find one that is sympathetic, ignorant or you'll have to spend time and money with a referee getting an exemption. Technically, my truck that is bone stock, ordered and bought in the LAPCD will fail because I have a non ford aftermarket muffler, since ford won't sell me a reasonable new one.

I won't even mention what they thought about the foil delete mod. thank god for junk yards

Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 PM
rckrwlr
Senior User
I sent the question to banks on the pyro gage. they are saying it dosn't need a exemption # because it dont efect the gasses. it just monitors.

Well I just got my registr4ation notice, and I will have to smog it.

So I;m moving my reg out of state.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
A friend mine that lives in Vacaville CA regristered hers in Texas at a certain someone's address....
He didn't check how active is Bay Area Police in tracking residents driving with improper registration. The penalties go in big hundreds and all it takes is an upset neighbor, or Police ride on employees parking lot. The state will get its money this way, or the other.
I wonder if his insurance rate changed with the address?
I got my truck registered for this year and didn't have to go for the inspection. Suppose it is every other year. Not that I worry about it much. My truck is all stock and come with no foil from the factory.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:16 PM
boertje
Senior User
What about the fuel mods some of us have done such as the regulated return system on the 7.3? Is that illegal according to the CA smog police? My X never had a cat but I did put a banks exhaust on it years ago. Kinda glad I moved out of CA when I did.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
If you don't like clean air and enjoy pollution so much, I could always let you breath the exhaust from my tractor

Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
boertje
Senior User
I already have a tractor for that purpose. What about fuel mods done for the cackle cure on the 7.3, are they a worry for smog check?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
No fuel mods after the pump according to my friend's brother who is a smog tech and has been trained on it.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Its really up to the smog shop...

My friends shop is only plugging in the OBD11 port to look for codes. And looking for visible smoke out the pipe that takes longer then 20 seconds to disappear...

Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Mine is a non catyletic, per Cal regs at the time, 2001, I have my reg renewal at home, no smog due.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 AM
forumsearcher
Junior User
This is really pissing me off. I just found out about the smog test being required for the "elder" vehicles. I had thought the new requirements were going to be for 2008+.... WRONG..

I will be up for new reg in July, the turbo and lack of a cat/trap are on my mind, but installing a stock turbo is not the worst thing that ever happened to me... The truck did not have a cat/trap when I got it, out of state, but it had already been modified.

Most of you have probably seen this, but I would not do this to my truck any day, any time, and now I am required to actually pay for someone to mash the pedal into the firewall.... WOW!
I guess this test is preformed wrong by holding at redline, but knowing the same morons that test my car every 2 years, I am sure it is entirely possible to waste the truck during a test. This could be life mistake for someone!!!
YouTube - Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Smog Check WOT

Old 03-05-2010, 03:13 AM
forumsearcher
Junior User
Fat Diesel, Andy, from your sig. I guess you had a CAT. Do you have any stickers under the hood that indicate "catalyst" details? I could not find anything on my truck either on the door or under the hood.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by forumsearcher
Fat Diesel, Andy, from your sig. I guess you had a CAT. Do you have any stickers under the hood that indicate "catalyst" details? I could not find anything on my truck either on the door or under the hood.
Yes. There is a sticker on the under side of the hood that will say Catalyst or Non-Catalyst. Mine "said" Catalyst. I scratched it off 10 years ago so it looks pretty legitimately worn out now. I have the cat sitting in my side yard. I bought the cat-delete pipe from Ford which is on the truck. I might just "skin the cat" which is to cut the cat off the original pipe, then weld it around the straight pipe. Spray the welds with some salt water and voila you have a straight pipe that appears to be a cat.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by forumsearcher
My e99 was first sold in Canada and has a Canadian door sticker. It had a Cat but there is no Cat sticker under the hood or anywhere else I've looked. Do you have a Canadian truck?

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CA smog testing